Blue Iris kills my i7 pc

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Double check the bitrate...i bet its a bytes vs bits issue...its just the way blue iris reports it vs the camera settings...

40th Floor

n3wb
Reaction score
Its something he developed himself....I am all for more options and development..though I doubt this will come close to a full featured vms..
Click on my home page. At that location, add

cnx

and that gets to the index page of the QSG, from where it all begins. The software is multi-featured. Very small (the server exe disk footprint is under 1MB, and so is the client exe).

I don't know what full featured vms would mean to any one person.

scott5134

n3wb
Reaction score
What I have found is the biggest contributor to spikes in CPU is bandwidth. I can cause spikes on BI downloading large files not associated with BI. You may also notice spikes drop or go away at night when h cams go Black and White and the bandwidth greatly reduces. I have also seen certain cameras affect BI spikes even when they re run by a different program

Igroup

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. CPU is fine now, using direct to disk recording. Issue still stands with cams loosing network on BI. Around 5 minutes, like a cycle. First one cam, gets back online in 10 seconds, jumps to the other cam, back online in 10 seconds and so on all cams. In one minute all my cams go down one by one. After 5 minutes or so the cycle starts over. Updated to the last version, tried everything. It's not on my side. Tried connected directly to PC, new OS install, new BI install, no firewall or AV, reset cams to original config and so on. For a while I was lucky when using UDP instead TCP, BI wouldn't show bitrate on camera, meaning that it wouldn't check. It worked with two cams fine. After the new update, UDP port won't stay as selection, will change itself. For example I choose 50555 for UDP and after pressing ok, when going back to check, port is 50552 or something. Interesting is the fact that even if I keep it that way and open up the router, I don't have any image.
i have a strong feeling is that something like a cycle runs in BI, has something to do with bitrate and since it doesn't like what it founds drops my cams.

Thank you for the bandwidth info.

microchip

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you have set cameras at bitrate about 4000 - 5000 kbps = 4 - 5 Mbps, its equal 400 - 500 kBps.
1B (byte) = 8b (bits), so BI display bitrate in bytes (kB/s).

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Without BI running, can you launch 4 webpage and see your 4 cameras with no problems?

Reaction score
Excuse me for posting this again in a new forum, but after continuing to read, I realized that my question was better placed here, instead of the other forum.

This is the problem I am facing, similar to what is above, it appears to be with my network traffic only, as when BI is running, I can accomplish little else on my network.

BI is only using a small part of my processor for my 7 cameras, 34%, but when I run BI, I can no longer log into each of my individual cameras, they appear to be suffering from too much network traffic being flung around on my network. The moment I quit BI, I can access and control all of my cameras individually very easily, with no dropouts.

Running BI again results in again, cameras being dropped from the BI interface.

I have tried just simply disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection to see if network performance improved, but there appeared to be no change at all, cameras still would keep dropping intermittently.

I only run Win7 and BI 4.1.0.3 w32 on this machine. Nothing more.

Does anyone have any ideas? I never had this problem until recently, somewhere between the 4.0 and 4.1 updates I believe. BI 3 had been running smoothly with no issues and no networking problems for some time.

Thanks

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Excuse me for posting this again in a new forum, but after continuing to read, I realized that my question was better placed here, instead of the other forum.

This is the problem I am facing, similar to what is above, it appears to be with my network traffic only, as when BI is running, I can accomplish little else on my network.

BI is only using a small part of my processor for my 7 cameras, 34%, but when I run BI, I can no longer log into each of my individual cameras, they appear to be suffering from too much network traffic being flung around on my network. The moment I quit BI, I can access and control all of my cameras individually very easily, with no dropouts.

Running BI again results in again, cameras being dropped from the BI interface.

I have tried just simply disabling Symantec Endpoint Protection to see if network performance improved, but there appeared to be no change at all, cameras still would keep dropping intermittently.

I only run Win7 and BI 4.1.0.3 w32 on this machine. Nothing more.

Does anyone have any ideas? I never had this problem until recently, somewhere between the 4.0 and 4.1 updates I believe. BI 3 had been running smoothly with no issues and no networking problems for some time.

Thanks
Well, this won't help but from my limited experience (only with BI4+), CPU % wont tell the whole story. Hopefully fenderman can advise you.

There were mucho updates last month , but recently none. Mucho makes me nervous when it involves updates,good luck.

GaretJax

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks. CPU is fine now, using direct to disk recording. Issue still stands with cams loosing network on BI. Around 5 minutes, like a cycle. First one cam, gets back online in 10 seconds, jumps to the other cam, back online in 10 seconds and so on all cams. In one minute all my cams go down one by one. After 5 minutes or so the cycle starts over. Updated to the last version, tried everything. It's not on my side. Tried connected directly to PC, new OS install, new BI install, no firewall or AV, reset cams to original config and so on. For a while I was lucky when using UDP instead TCP, BI wouldn't show bitrate on camera, meaning that it wouldn't check. It worked with two cams fine. After the new update, UDP port won't stay as selection, will change itself. For example I choose 50555 for UDP and after pressing ok, when going back to check, port is 50552 or something. Interesting is the fact that even if I keep it that way and open up the router, I don't have any image.
i have a strong feeling is that something like a cycle runs in BI, has something to do with bitrate and since it doesn't like what it founds drops my cams.

Thank you for the bandwidth info.
Any updates Igroup?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, thank you for responding.

I am using 6 Foscam FI8910W (wireless) cameras and 1 Foscam FI8919W Outdoor (wireless) camera. All of the cameras are wireless static IP addresses, none wired.
This has been an issue with the foscams and BI...there is a connection limit to the cameras and sometimes the cams think there are more devices connected than there are. To test, when the issue happens..reboot a camera and see if it helps..

Reaction score
OK, I can try that. The ironic thing here is that I found BI through Foscam, as its their recommended application for monitoring their cameras. Was this significant on a particular firmware at some point, and perhaps that problem might be fixed by now?

The only method of rebooting a camera I have, is to pull the power cord and restart it. BI seems to be bogging down the network so much that I can not remotely connect the cameras through their standard Web interface when BI is running.

SO, I disconnected a camera (unplugged it from the power supply) when I saw 4 of the 7 cameras drop from the desktop interface. Unplugging that one, dropped it from the interface as well, leaving 2 connected. Over the next 15 second the other 6 cameras came back up, then dropped again, and then finally the camera I unplugged came back up. Still experiencing intermittent camera dropouts.

Is this something I should also pursue with Foscam?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I can try that. The ironic thing here is that I found BI through Foscam, as its their recommended application for monitoring their cameras. Was this significant on a particular firmware at some point, and perhaps that problem might be fixed by now?

The only method of rebooting a camera I have, is to pull the power cord and restart it. BI seems to be bogging down the network so much that I can not remotely connect the cameras through their standard Web interface when BI is running.

SO, I disconnected a camera (unplugged it from the power supply) when I saw 4 of the 7 cameras drop from the desktop interface. Unplugging that one, dropped it from the interface as well, leaving 2 connected. Over the next 15 second the other 6 cameras came back up, then dropped again, and then finally the camera I unplugged came back up. Still experiencing intermittent camera dropouts.

Is this something I should also pursue with Foscam?
Understand that foscam does not develop blue iris. Blue iris is developed by Ken Pletzer of perspective software..they simply slap their name on it and resell it..http://blueirissoftware.com/
You can try contacting blue iris support to see if he can help.
In the future there are MUCH better option than foscam. The 8910 in particular is a bandwidth hog because it uses mpeg compression instead of h.264 which is used in modern cameras..What is blue iris showing as the bitrate/bandwidth for the cameras. (click on the 3 vertical bar icon on the top left and click the camera tab - post a screenshot)
Another thing to try is to increase the receive buffer in blue iris to 10mb...see if that helps..make sure you have the latest foscam firmware.

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
As a test, throttle down frame rate and increase compression, so see if things unclog. Reboot router, firmware ect. If you have a different app or program, try running withot BI running. But it does seem like an update got you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those frame rates are really poor and along with the many no signals indicate poor wifi reception..
The receive buffer is in camera properties>video>configure.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's just it, the wifi signal is strong, reception is great, until I run BlueIris, then the whole thing falls apart. I have now changed the camera receive buffers to 10MB and all frame rates are 10fps.

The cameras are all updated to the latest firmware (and Web UI).

BI still seems to be bogging down my network, when I quit BI I can access the Web Interface to the cameras with ease, but when I start up BI again, I am then unable to get to the web interfaces of the cameras, like BI is using up a lot of traffic on my network.