blue iris main benefits over current model NVR?

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by clean, Feb 1, 2019.

Share This Page

1. clean

clean Young grasshopper

thanks for all the reply's.

one thing im wondering - and might be in favor of the NVR..... being that NVR's are mostly Linux based I would think that they would run a little more stable then say a 24/7 running windows box? do you guys ever have any crashes? that could be very annoying. Granted I couldn't see that happening often , just that windows isn't as stable as these one program Linux box's?

2. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

That is not true. If you think nvr's dont reboot or crash you have another thing coming. Windows is very stable. I have machines running 100 days plus until I decide to update or reboot. Get the NVR. Please.

3. clean

clean Young grasshopper

C'mon man, enough of that. jokes over. Im trying to discuss all the pros and cons of each, which if i'm not mistaken is what this forum is for. I'm sorry if it annoys you, but if it does maybe best you just dont comment. thanks.

Dasstrum likes this.
  4. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

it may be best if you stop wasting out time. Dont tell me what to do on my own forum. Buy an NVR please.

Freubel likes this.
  5. clean

clean Young grasshopper

not trying to piss you off fenderman, but there has been some helpful reply's to my questions earlier in the thread - maybe you have been dealing with noobs for too long- I dont know, but the " your stupid just buy a NVR message " you keep sending is counter-intuitive to what we are discussing -that's why I suggested that if it annoys you to just let us noobs ramble on amongst ourselves. :smash:

Dasstrum likes this.
  6. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

why is it counter intuitive to point out that you are not interested in a pc based vms. You are looking for reasons to get an nvr. FYI there are vms packages that run on linux if your fall for that BS that windows is not stable.

7. Mike

Mike Staff Member

@clean if you want an NVR then definitely get one, it's your choice. However, Blue Iris is superior and just as stable. I know municipalities (including police stations) that use BI and don't have issues. As long as the PC is set up properly (turn off auto updates, etc.) then the PC can buzz along for as long as an NVR can.

I have both BI and an IPCT NVR. I sell IPCT NVR's and will tell you that they don't compare to BI. No NVR does. The features that BI has is years ahead of any NVR, and with the regular updates that we are all used to, NVR's won't be catching up for a long time.

Some people prefer NVR's, most prefer BI. If you're set on an NVR then grab one!

TonyR likes this.
  8. clean

clean Young grasshopper

well i am interested in the VMS route - so much so that its the way i'm going. Another big plus for me is I will have an always accessible 24/7 on windows box for doing other simple tasks while I check the cams etc. Thanks for not giving up on me, I hope this can be the beginning of a beautiful friendship :love:.

all jokes aside - thanks ...really.

9. Mike

Mike Staff Member

No worries. I'll tell you what, this group is the smartest group of people I know. I learn something new every day reading this forum, so make sure to take all advice, especially from the people who have been down that road already.

Blue iris > *.*

looney2ns and aristobrat like this.
  10. HelloAgain

HelloAgain Young grasshopper

Fenderman's comments may seem a bit 'harsh', but they are valid. If you get BI now, you will always have doubt in your mind. So, 'try out' and NVR and get a bit of experience. Grab one at Costco or purchase online. If you don't like it after 30 days, you can always return it for a refund. You can trial BI for 2 weeks for free as well. See which works best for your situation. That's basically what I did. Sometimes it's better to experience the pain for yourself rather than taking someone else's word for it.

So yes.. get an NVR if for no other reason to experience the pain first hand. It will be very educational.

looney2ns, icecoffee and fenderman like this.
  11. tmushy

tmushy n3wb

I run both. I use blue iris as a backup system. Very happy with hikvision nvr. I always used to run software based nvr units (back from the geovision days) but I just like standalone hardware nvrs more. They never crash and you can set it and forget it. They also have a lower power draw than a computer may

Blue iris is also pretty rock solid. Never had it crash and its been running fine for over a year. The interface is a bit clunky to me but I do appreciate their quick load web interface. I can quickly watch clips. Love that it supports html5.

You really cant go wrong with either but an a simply hardware based nvr is just easier to use.

Blue iris is also very inexpensive if you ever decide you want to install it later on.

I recommend using a separate POE switch to power cameras instead of the built in POE on NVR. Just not a fan of that type of setup. This way you can put your nvr anywhere and it lets you use your cameras with other software with ease.

12. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

You cannot compare the feature set. And you bet nvr's crash, see the threads on them. For anything other than 24/7 recording they are useless. You can set blue iris and forget it as well. No difference.

13. James32

James32 n3wb

I’m somewhat cheep, so I installed BI on an old computer I had laying around. It has worked flawlessly except for that time one of my kids flipped the power strip off because why wouldn’t you flip a switch that’s just sitting there.

I agree that cameras are like crack. My wife has had to step in with an intervention. Luckily for me I discovered that BI will even support my old USB webcams!

I also recommend segregating your cam network from your regular home network. I would even have a separate network for your home automation stuff. You can do this easily if your router supports vlans. Your cam network doesn’t need access to the internet; just your BI pc if you want to access it remotely.

aristobrat likes this.