Blue Iris Max HDD Size Limit?

Reaction score
Does Blue Iris have a limit on how big of a hard drive you can allocate?

I am saving my clips to a drive that has 52.7TB total capacity.
I am doing this using Microsoft Windows' built-in storage pool feature.
I want to keep 30TB in the NEW folder and 25TB in the SAVED folder.

Version: Release 5.4.9.18 x64 (8/9/2021)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2678 v3 @ 2.50GHz [10%]
RAM: 3.48G/79.8G
main scren.JPGstatus.JPGstorage pool.JPGHowever, Blue Iris seems to freak out at the size of this drive.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No - people here are running double the TB that you have with no issue.

First off, no reason to have a NEW and SAVED folder - all that moving of files will kill the HDD faster and results in additional CPU. Most of us here only use NEW. The program is efficient and knows where the files are. I can look up an event from 2 months ago just as quick as one this morning.

Do not use the Windows Storage Pool. Instead go into BI Clips and Archiving and set up the NEW folder with the amount of storage you want it to have.

We recommend saving around 10% of the total storage to allow Windows to do its thing when the drive gets full and has to delete older files. So with a 52TB drive, you would allocate around 47TB to BI.

Also make sure you either have system restore turned off on the storage drive or drop the storage way down because once the drive gets about half full, Windows will save the rest and then you get this over-allocation error in BI.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What drive letters are in use?
Windows on C:\ storage G?
30+25= 55TB...Your pool capacity you say is = 52TB? possible over allocation?
A lot of folks here are not using Saved, but rather let the files over write when the storage is at capacity.
I do export events in BI using the Console when reviewing video. I have folders on the C:\ drive like
Back Lot, Front Lot, Converter etc...
my system has thousands of triggers per day.
Rewriting captured video to another folder on the same drive to "save it" is hard on system resources. YMMV
Perhaps Blue iris doesnt see the drives the same way as Windows Pool?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
====================================
My Standard allocation post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space. Using time wastes disk space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 3 GB. Really big files are difficult to transfer.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.
7) Do not run virus scanners on BI folders
8) an alternate way to allocate space on multiple drives is to assign different cameras to different drives, so there is no file movement between new and stored.
9) Never use an External USB drive for the NEW folder. Never use a network drive for the NEW folder.
10) for performance do not put more than about 10,000 files in a folder, the search and adding files will eat CPU and disk performance. Look at using a sub folder per camera (see &CAM in bi help)

Advanced storage:
If you are using a complete disk for large video file storage (BVR) continuous recording, I recommend formatting the disk, with a windows cluster size of 1024K (1 Megabyte). This is a increase from the 4K default. This will reduce the physical number of disk write, decrease the disk fragmentation, speed up access.
Hint:
On the Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab, if there is any red on the bars you have a allocation problem. If there is no Green, you have no free space, this is bad.
======================================

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No - people here are running double the TB that you have with no issue.

First off, no reason to have a NEW and SAVED folder - all that moving of files will kill the HDD faster and results in additional CPU. Most of us here only use NEW. The program is efficient and knows where the files are. I can look up an event from 2 months ago just as quick as one this morning.

Do not use the Windows Storage Pool. Instead go into BI Clips and Archiving and set up the NEW folder with the amount of storage you want it to have.

We recommend saving around 10% of the total storage to allow Windows to do its thing when the drive gets full and has to delete older files. So with a 52TB drive, you would allocate around 47TB to BI.

Also make sure you either have system restore turned off on the storage drive or drop the storage way down because once the drive gets about half full, Windows will save the rest and then you get this over-allocation error in BI.
These details are golden. As a newbie with BI, home security cams, etc, I am starting to build my own, personal wiki and save it in a word document for future reference.
Realizing there's an official wiki but these questions and fantastic feedbacks come at a rapid fire and probably don't make their way into the wiki.

xmfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does Blue Iris have a limit on how big of a hard drive you can allocate?

I am saving my clips to a drive that has 52.7TB total capacity.
I am doing this using Microsoft Windows' built-in storage pool feature.
I want to keep 30TB in the NEW folder and 25TB in the SAVED folder.

Version: Release 5.4.9.18 x64 (8/9/2021)
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2678 v3 @ 2.50GHz [10%]
RAM: 3.48G/79.8G
View attachment 108866View attachment 108867View attachment 108868However, Blue Iris seems to freak out at the size of this drive.
Gotta ask..you have 80GB RAM, is that all dedicated for use with BI?

Reaction score
Ok, so I have changed my settings as follows:
1 - Verified system restore is turned off on storage drive, but remains on for drive C: only.
2 - Changed the Blue Iris NEW folder to 47TB and the setting to "Delete".
3 - Changed the Blue IRIS SAVED folder to 1GB since I won't be using it anyway. Probably does not matter.

I have to use Windows storage pool since I have five 10TB drives and one 8TB drive. Windows storage pool allows all of those drives to show up in Windows as a single drive (in my case, drive "G")

Blue Iris seems to be really confused as to what is going on with storage. Here are the screenshots from Blue Iris.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In that case with multiple drives, you should use NEW and the Aux folders and then distribute the cameras across the various drives.

That is just good practice anyway so if one drive goes out, you don't lose all the cameras.

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
FWIW, I tried using StableBit Drivepool and Storage Spaces and neither worked well with BI. At the start they were okay, but after months of running BI seemed to get confused, and often times there would be delays when videos were getting deleted causing a lot of lag in UI3

I ended up just moving to have separate drives, and setting a few cameras on each

mioutlook

n3wb
Reaction score
My setup is overkill, but I had the drives available to me.

I don't do anything special in terms of new and stored. Each camera is set to save recordings straight to one of the drives and BI deletes the oldest clips as needed. Alerts and DB are kept on C, again with the only action to be deleted as space is needed. The clips drive is where exports are saved.

If I lose any of the aux drives I will only lose the footage on the cameras that save there.

@Darren Vallaire - I see from a screenshot above you used "Simple" for your spaces config. While that allows you to pool and use the maximum capacity of all of your drives if you lose a drive you will lose all data stored on the volume. In this config windows just scatters the data across the physical drives.

Attachments

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve just replied on the other forum, similar to that which @mioutlook posted but not as detailed.

A single drive dying will take out the entire storage space as you have no resiliency setup.

I’d rather configure the drives as individual drives and set BI to get specific cams to write to specific locations. That way a single drive dying will take out just those cams and their associated recordings, all others would continue.

In your config a single drive dying would wipe all the recordings and stop BI in its tracks as the storage space will be dead.

Reaction score
I am fine with rebuilding the storage pool with resiliency. That would take care of the concern of a drive failing. But I don't want to do that if Blue Iris is still going to report storage usage incorrectly.

mioutlook

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone answer why Blue Iris is reporting that the storage is over-allocated when it clearly is not? See attached screenshots.
Per the status screenshot it looks like you have new, stored, alerts and aiinput all on drive G. What is is the total allocation for all of those folders? If that is not how you have it configured I would do a restart.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
As an initial step, have a look within G:\New, highlight all the files in the folder and then right-click Properties and see what they all add up to and compare that to the space you have allocated.

Then repeat for the other locations you have set within BI and see if there are any discrepancies.

Reaction score
Per the status screenshot it looks like you have new, stored, alerts and aiinput all on drive G. What is is the total allocation for all of those folders? If that is not how you have it configured I would do a restart.
NEW = 47,000GB
Stored = 0GB
Alerts = 50GB
aiinput = 1GB