Blue Iris New Version Does Not Have Framerate Limiting Control-Major Issue w Foscams

Cldblucky

n3wb
Reaction score
The new BI version has deleted the control of framerates "feature" as Ken calls it. Framerate compatibility mode. I am in a real bind. My older foscams 8910,8916,9805,9804,8905s will not control the frame rates in the new version of BI. I am stuck with the version from April or May. I emailed Ken and he is considering my issue. I have 11 foscams and 1 lifecam connected. I have upgraded all my firmware on the older foscams in hopes of limiting framerates with the foscams. No go. I have spent the last two days updating my cams firmware and UI and testing them. They seem to do whatever they want framerate wise. I have confirmed this. The newer HD foscams have no real issue with controlling their own framerates. FI9805, the new PTZ FI9826P V2 and the FI9831W work fine.

I sent a couple of emails to Ken to see if he could help. I really need that framerate limiting mode back. Is anyone else having issues with framerates and the new version of blue iris? If so, please let Ken know as he is unaware of this MAJOR issue. The new version causes my entire wireless network to go crazy due to high framerates and no control and my network is pure horsepower. I am running a new Linksys Cisco EA8500AC MU-MIMO router backed up by a Cisco Industrial AP1250 to split the load on the routers on a Win 10 machine.

Thank you for reading and any replies or reporting this to BlueIris via his contact info on his site. Is anyone else having this issue or these types of problems????

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Blue Iris New Version Does Not Have Framerate Limiting Control-Major Issue w Fosc

@Cldblucky Welcome to the forum...the not having frame rate compatibly mode should not affect your network..the camera was always sending the same number of frames..BI was simply ignoring some..
You can still do this using the alt/timelapse option...
Your real issue is crap cameras and using wifi.

Cldblucky

n3wb
Reaction score
Re: Blue Iris New Version Does Not Have Framerate Limiting Control-Major Issue w Fosc

You are correct. The lack of framerate control really puts the demand on the CPU. CPU goes to 70 to 80 percent or more. I am not sure if the old foscams were limiting but they may have been. I would go in and put them to 3fps from max when the network slowed down. The lifecam runs at a crazy 20fps in HD. The old version of BI my CPU would run at 18 to 23 percent. Thanks for the reply. I am stuck with the foscams so......hopefully BI can help. He could always put the control back into the software again and those who don't want to use it can disable it. But I really need to control CPU usage by limiting framerates. The older version I am running was so stable with the foscams.......never better......now.....can't use the update.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Try the alt frame rate timplapse option... Also limit live preview rate ...

Cldblucky

n3wb
Reaction score

I have to update the computer BI to try it and if it doesn't work, will have to restore the old image again. But......I really appreciate the input. That sounds like exactly what I am looking for in the new version. Much appreciated. Thank you both as I am sure there are a lot of foscam users that might be having the same issues. I will let the forum know how it goes. If it works, I will email BI and let him know as well.

Cldblucky

n3wb
Reaction score

Well....that did not work all that well. Network traffic is way up. Having issues with streaming media. Obviously although the cams were sending 10fps+ BI was only taking part of the stream. So the theory that it does not impact network is inaccurate. I was able to get the CPU down to 35-45% with the preview limit at 3fps. But it used to run 17-21%. I am leaving it run to see if the Smart EA8500AC and the Cisco AP1250 can learn the streams and optimize. I can prioritize the blueray for netflix and my media server W10. I still would very much appreciate BI putting the framerate limiting mode back. I had control over my "crap" foscams and BI. I still say there are other users of Foscams and other "less expensive" cams that this is affecting. Ken....BI......PLEASE put the option to control framerates back into BI. Bottom line it was a MUCH better product when we had control of framerates within Blueiris. Options are a good thing.

Is there any other software out there that might be better? ISpy???? Recommendations? Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Well....that did not work all that well. Network traffic is way up. Having issues with streaming media. Obviously although the cams were sending 10fps+ BI was only taking part of the stream. So the theory that it does not impact network is inaccurate. I was able to get the CPU down to 35-45% with the preview limit at 3fps. But it used to run 17-21%. I am leaving it run to see if the Smart EA8500AC and the Cisco AP1250 can learn the streams and optimize. I can prioritize the blueray for netflix and my media server W10. I still would very much appreciate BI putting the framerate limiting mode back. I had control over my "crap" foscams and BI. I still say there are other users of Foscams and other "less expensive" cams that this is affecting. Ken....BI......PLEASE put the option to control framerates back into BI. Bottom line it was a MUCH better product when we had control of framerates within Blueiris. Options are a good thing.

Is there any other software out there that might be better? ISpy???? Recommendations? Thanks.
Its not a theory...its fact, blue iris cannot control the fps sent by the cameras...so all the data must be sent to BI...BI then rejects frames...this is indisputable. I think you are jumping to conclusions based on a coincidence...I dont know exactly what, but its not the frame rate limiting option...in fact, frame rate limiting increases cpu consumption because blue iris has to actively drop frames. Ken doesnt read this forum. Perhaps you made another change in the settings such as stream type, etc..to cause this.
Ispy has a perpetual monthly fee of 8 dollars for remote viewing and that gives you a limited number alerts that are passed though their servers...there is nothing close to the capabilities of blue iris for the money. Why dont you simply stick with the older version that you have if you believe the new setup is causing your problem (its not)...You dont have to update...

Good luck.

Cldblucky

n3wb
Reaction score

Mr. Fender....we can agree to disagree. With framerates up in BI new Version CPU utilization rose dramatically. No changes. So IMHO you are incorrect. Net traffic is up. Monitor shows it. CPU going to 80% is no joke. No one can dispute that more control and options for cam control is better. Even you can agree to that. Bottom line.I sent Ken the link and really hope he helps up crap Foscammers out. And yes, BI is the best out there, no doubt. I want it to stay that way and am trying to help......myself and others who need that control. We all don't have the best cams running double threaded quad cores. Wish we did.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Mr. Fender....we can agree to disagree. With framerates up in BI new Version CPU utilization rose dramatically. No changes. So IMHO you are incorrect. Net traffic is up. Monitor shows it. CPU going to 80% is no joke. No one can dispute that more control and options for cam control is better. Even you can agree to that. Bottom line.I sent Ken the link and really hope he helps up crap Foscammers out. And yes, BI is the best out there, no doubt. I want it to stay that way and am trying to help......myself and others who need that control. We all don't have the best cams running double threaded quad cores. Wish we did.
It cannot be disagreed...fact is fact, blue iris gets every single frame regardless of its own settings. Thats how networks operate.
Ken is very responsive to issues, so you simply need to relax instead of going crazy....revert back and wait...you will be ok...
Good quality cameras cost as much as the foscams did...an i5-haswell/skylake can be had for 200-300...so dont make it sound like good gear costs a fortune, its all about being a smart consumer..
Options are a great thing...it seems from the release notes that it was removed because users were using it incorrectly and likely clogging up support....

Cldblucky

n3wb
Reaction score

First point in your reply. CPU utilization says it all. It tripled with no changes. So....go figure that one.

You are correct, I am very concerned about the situation and will take your advice and definitely take a sit back and see approach from here. I have good reason as the IPhones will eventually cause upgrade issues. I have done all I can. BI has always been the best and I figure it will work out. Foscams are cheap....$300 for a cam is out of my range. Never spent more than a bone for any of mine, some half of that or less used....but like you said they are not the best. But they worked. And worked well on the old version. I will go back to April version and hopefully he will sort it out. One can hope.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

First point in your reply. CPU utilization says it all. It tripled with no changes. So....go figure that one.

You are correct, I am very concerned about the situation and will take your advice and definitely take a sit back and see approach from here. I have good reason as the IPhones will eventually cause upgrade issues. I have done all I can. BI has always been the best and I figure it will work out. Foscams are cheap....$300 for a cam is out of my range. Never spent more than a bone for any of mine, some half of that or less used....but like you said they are not the best. But they worked. And worked well on the old version. I will go back to April version and hopefully he will sort it out. One can hope.
You updated from another version, there were other changes made...right? CPU utilization would not tripple even if you went from 10fps to 30fps...it just doesnt work like that.
I dont understand your concern...why would there be upgrade issues? This is not requirement to have any specific version of BI 4 to run the mobile app.
Where are you getting 300 dollars a camera?? Good solid dahua cameras can be had for 70-100 dollars.

Cldblucky

n3wb
Reaction score

I came here for help. Maybe there are other users who are also experiencing issues with the new BI. So far this has not helped by any means and I expect new users can see what to expect if they join looking for real assistance. Please post if you also have had issues with the new BI and framerates causing issues. Thank you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

I came here for help. Maybe there are other users who are also experiencing issues with the new BI. So far this has not helped by any means and I expect new users can see what to expect if they join looking for real assistance. Please post if you also have had issues with the new BI and framerates causing issues. Thank you.
Seems like you came to get a bunch of users to complain to Ken, because you cant wait a few days and are hoping this will generate a faster response....relax...give Ken access to your camera/system and let him see what he can do...Maybe you'll learn something about ip cameras and computers so you dont make the same purchasing mistakes in the future...
A great way to prove my point is if you disable frame rate limiting mode in the old version of BI you will not see a triple cpu increase nor any change in network traffic...

Cldblucky

n3wb
Reaction score

Ok..I am both a BSME and an MSEE. I took delivery of the first ten IBM PC XT's at the CC in 1984 as the computer lab technician. Put my first network in in 1988, IBM lan manager running under IBM OS2. Sold high end PC AT 16mhz machines in 89-94 until dell put me out. I installed the first TCPIP networks in 90 with ISDN 2x64. I work on power plant controls mod 485 comm, profibus and program AB PLC's and Ovation systems. I still build laptops from scrap. I go back to Windows 386enhanced running on AT's. I program my cisco AP's via console and can give a dissertation on port forwarding. I am microsoft network certified Graduated 1993. I was the first users of BI, then upgraded to Versions 2,3 and 4. That is why my first cams over a half a decade old are 8909's and 8910's. Ok now you know my pedigree and it is significant as you can well see. Let me say this: I came here because with all that experience, the new BI is now processing over 1700kbs where when frame rate limited the CPU only processes 500kbs (cam status screen total). Hence the load on the processor. Any application that triples the data rate will put more load on any processor. The demand in kbs to the computer is also increased by 1200kbps which affects the wireless network throughput.

I posted to see if as I believe, that surely other users of large 10-12 or more wireless IP cam systems running BI are also seeing what I am. Much higher processor utilization and a significant network traffic increase as I have (net analyzer.) I don't want people to complain to anyone. I already asked Ken very respectfully to consider the option again and possibly BI will put the frame rate limiter back in.

What I am saying is VERY true and end users of large wireless IP cam systems must be seeing what I am-Or they will. If they are......what are they doing about it? I truly believe there HAS to be other users seeing issues as well. Please post if you have seen these issues or have a solution not yet mentioned that might help. Buying a lot of new cams is not considered an option although that would work very well as the new Foscam HD cams frame rate limit perfectly under the latest BI.

So again I pose my original question....anyone else having issues with excessive CPU utilization and network traffic with no frame rate limiting in the new BI, especially with older Foscams?

Reaction score

Did you restart after upgrading? Maybe hardware acceleration didn't kick on?

Otherwise, there's no reason and fenderman is right, you're looking at blaming BlueIris when something coincidentally went wrong.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Ok..I am both a BSME and an MSEE. I took delivery of the first ten IBM PC XT's at the CC in 1984 as the computer lab technician. Put my first network in in 1988, IBM lan manager running under IBM OS2. Sold high end PC AT 16mhz machines in 89-94 until dell put me out. I installed the first TCPIP networks in 90 with ISDN 2x64. I work on power plant controls mod 485 comm, profibus and program AB PLC's and Ovation systems. I still build laptops from scrap. I go back to Windows 386enhanced running on AT's. I program my cisco AP's via console and can give a dissertation on port forwarding. I am microsoft network certified Graduated 1993. I was the first users of BI, then upgraded to Versions 2,3 and 4. That is why my first cams over a half a decade old are 8909's and 8910's. Ok now you know my pedigree and it is significant as you can well see. Let me say this: I came here because with all that experience, the new BI is now processing over 1700kbs where when frame rate limited the CPU only processes 500kbs (cam status screen total). Hence the load on the processor. Any application that triples the data rate will put more load on any processor. The demand in kbs to the computer is also increased by 1200kbps which affects the wireless network throughput.

I posted to see if as I believe, that surely other users of large 10-12 or more wireless IP cam systems running BI are also seeing what I am. Much higher processor utilization and a significant network traffic increase as I have (net analyzer.) I don't want people to complain to anyone. I already asked Ken very respectfully to consider the option again and possibly BI will put the frame rate limiter back in.

What I am saying is VERY true and end users of large wireless IP cam systems must be seeing what I am-Or they will. If they are......what are they doing about it? I truly believe there HAS to be other users seeing issues as well. Please post if you have seen these issues or have a solution not yet mentioned that might help. Buying a lot of new cams is not considered an option although that would work very well as the new Foscam HD cams frame rate limit perfectly under the latest BI.

So again I pose my original question....anyone else having issues with excessive CPU utilization and network traffic with no frame rate limiting in the new BI, especially with older Foscams?
Please dont try and prove the point that certifications are meaningless. Cant you understand that blue iris CANNOT magically make packets disappear??? It cannot tell the camera not to send packets. its is basic common sense 101. All those certifications mean nothing if you cannot use your brain. Your issue has nothing to do with frame rate limiting....triple the data rate will not triple blue iris cpu consumption....
The saddest part is some with all these fancy credentials setup a wireless system using foscams....
Finally as I pointed out before, stay with the older version and you wont have any problems. What was it EXACTLY that ken told you when you brought up the issue? Seems like you are holding back..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

IP cameras transmit across local area networks at the frame rate which each camera has been configured to transmit...and Blue Iris does not control this frame rate, or bit rate, which the cameras are transmitting at. This is something which YOU control by logging into each camera and configuring each camera's frame rate and bit rate. In addition, it's hard to believe that you are a network wizard and yet you are running 10 to 12 cameras wirelessly which is a bad proposition for the most talented of us. And to top it all off you're running FoScam cameras which are known newbie J U N K cameras. Therefore, I must Qonclude that there are inconsistencies with the story you have told and credentials you have offered.

COME ON! LET'S HAVE IT! LET'S HAVE THE TRUTH PAL!

View attachment interrogation.jpg

Git

Banned
Reaction score

Ok..I am both a BSME and an MSEE. I took delivery of the first ten IBM PC XT's at the CC in 1984 as the computer lab technician. Put my first network in in 1988, IBM lan manager running under IBM OS2. Sold high end PC AT 16mhz machines in 89-94 until dell put me out. I installed the first TCPIP networks in 90 with ISDN 2x64. I work on power plant controls mod 485 comm, profibus and program AB PLC's and Ovation systems. I still build laptops from scrap. I go back to Windows 386enhanced running on AT's. I program my cisco AP's via console and can give a dissertation on port forwarding. I am microsoft network certified Graduated 1993. I was the first users of BI, then upgraded to Versions 2,3 and 4. That is why my first cams over a half a decade old are 8909's and 8910's. /QUOTE]

And you bought 11 Foscams? (I think that basically invalidates your entire 'pedigree'...)

mcorzine

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an old thread with so much hate in it, however I have some questions that I couldn't find answers to, and it seems @Cldblucky isn't wrong. I recently upgraded BI and noticed this feature missing as well. It didn't cause any issues as my system is appropriately sized, all of my cameras are wired, and I am using a variety of brands (yes some are crappy foscam). BTW I have 8 camera streams; a few are h264, others are mjpg.

With the upgrade I first noticed much more processor utilization (60% instead of 20%). Quickly realized this was only when the desktop app was running and thus that it was related to the live preview rate. Easy fix.

I also observed the framerates much higher than before (10's, 20's, & 30's instead of 5). This is when I noticed the network utilization was also higher (12.5% instead of 10%).

After reading this thread (and others) I decided to do some testing to see if BI really is dropping the frames when frame limiting is used(after-all if the reports are true, why is there more traffic?). I experimented with one foscam fi8918 camera on BI3 & BI4 using Wireshark to view the number of packets and bytes over a 30 second period. I tested BI3 at 5fps and 30fps (30fps allowed the camera to transmit at 10fps). The version of BI4 I am using did not allow me to adjust framerate (it's automatic). I used a static image and ran the tests 5 times at night as to not influence the results.

Here are the results:
BI3 @ 5fps = Avg 4.64MB
BI3 @ 10fps = Avg 5.95MB
BI4 @ 10fps = Avg 6.45MB

The number of packets were proportional to the amount of bytes. Most packet lengths for CAM->BI were 1514, this remained true for all tests. Traffic increased in both directions in each test.

For the questions:
1. Is my test invalid? As I understand it, BI is dropping frames not packets therefore Wireshark installed on the same PC should see the packets that BI is dropping the frames from.
2. Is it possible that the cameras wait for the BI->Cam ACK before transmitting the next set of frames?
3. What else would cause the additional traffic? I'm happy to send someone who is interested and understands how packets are packed my pcap's.

Last edited:

Rick Rick

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a problem with BI causing a change in my Foscam Video settings. WHen BI starts up or I make a change to the settings in the BI for the camera it cause a change in my camera settings. I set the camera to stream a Frame rate of 10 then start BI which causes the camera to reset it to 25. This is a problem. Does anyone know how to fix it?