Blue Iris on i3 NUC with 5 cams

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
Small, Low power Blue Iris PC Build on Intel NUC Platform

I was looking for info on what NUC's would run my cams, didn't find much info so I thought i'd leave this here for others looking at setting up something similar.

Intel NUC Kit (NUC6i3SYH) - i3-6100U CPU
8Gb Kingston DDR4 HyperX Ram
128GB SSD (Has about 70GB free after base install + BI) - Rest of clips are stored off on a NAS.

If you are unfamiliar with these PCs - It's a mini computer. Read more about it here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Unit_of_Computing

Blue Iris 64bit
Windows 8 64bit

2x DS-2CD2335-I Dome
2x DS-2CD2032F-I Turret
1x DS-2CD2532F-IS Dome
1x DS-2CD2420F-IW Indoor

All on a wired network, no wireless used.

All running in 1920x1080 20FPS at 2048kbps bitrate.

CPU Usage sits around 35% and it generally just cranks along fine and about 900MB-1400MB Ram use.

Last edited by a moderator:

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
Have added a indoor Hikvision 2CD2420F-IW.

Since this camera has a PIR sensor - I've used the instructions from this site (http://www.petermcannell.com/using-ip-camera-based-pir-sensor-within-blueiris/) to setup a trigger within BI. Works well!

Updated the first post, and will use this thread to keep track of the build.

Also enabled PTZ controls (I never realised in the BI options that it was PTZ AND brightness/other controls) and discovered there is a button for On/off/Auto for the camera IR function.

Need to figure out how to get the speaker on the camera working, the mic is working back to BI but not the other way around unfortunately.

If anyone else has any experience around getting BI to Camera audio working any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Encouraging news and I was thinking about using a NUC6i5SYH myself. I love those devices. The very low end models make great HTPCs.

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
Agreed.. For a tiny system I took a risk with the lowest spec Skylake NUCs and to my surprise it's perfectly fine running Blue Iris in the background, and minor NetFlix/Youtube duties on top of that if required.

It's obviously not the cheapest way to go about things, however I think the power draw and size is what got me.

Also it runs the game Overwatch with the integrated graphics if I need it to...not too shabby, even if it is with the GFX down low.

Just trying to figure out some UPS solution for it now. Doesn't seem like you can get 19w 4A mini UPS power supplies..so most likely have to with something bigger.

I already have a UPS powering the PoE switch. Only just thought about it tonight, not much point of any of it if the PC dies in a power outage or something.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm amazed this worked. I was going to get a quad-core i7 U model one to do this but this makes me second guess my choices.

fbnoise

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Really cool. With the 128GB SSD, I don't think you'd be able to store much at that level of quality. Are you storing footage any where else?

evd

n3wb
Reaction score
Really cool. With the 128GB SSD, I don't think you'd be able to store much at that level of quality. Are you storing footage any where else?
Yeah it goes off to a Synology NAS for storage. I don't keep too much though, am only recording events and not 24/7. The base install isn't huge, I have about 70-80GB of space free to play with before Blue Iris 'Stores' it off on the NAS.

Good point though, I updated my original post.

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Re: Small, Low power Blue Iris PC Build on Intel NUC Platform

I use a dedicated Gigabyte Brix which is similar to the NUC and it works fine for a handful of cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk