Blue Iris on wine (Ubuntu Mint) works

Reaction score
Hi there

I hope this is the right place to post it, otherwise feel free moving it elsewhere

anyway, after having googled a lot, I was persuaded there was no way to have BI working under Ubuntu but I tried it and ... it works!

I found 2 issues anyway that can crash it
don't let it update under Wine, but download the software and run it manually in Wine
and
don't try to save settings
that's all

I use it with a cheap Foscam cam (FI9903P), and an old Dell D-520 noteboook (one core 1,73GHz) with Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64bit and 3GB RAM)

kindest

Last edited by a moderator:

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Hi there

I hope this is the right place to post it, otherwise feel free moving it elsewhere

anyway, after having googled a lot, I was persuaded there was no way to have BI working under Ubuntu but I tried it and ... it works!

I found 2 issues anyway that can crash it
don't let it update under Wine, but downoald the software and upload it manually in Wine
and
don't try to save settings
that's all

I use it with a cheap Foscam cam (FI9903P), and an old Dell D-520 noteboook (one core 1,73GHz) with Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64bit and 3GB RAM)

kindest
Very cool, great job and thanks for posting.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work. So, it works with h264 cams? I wonder how the efficiency compares to running it under Windows.

Reaction score
it works with FI9903P that is a h264 cam, but I have to say that under Wine, Blue Iris is less responsive
moreover, the max daylight framerate is only about 20fps, while under Windows 7 it was 30fps

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I'm checking the video just now (21:59 GMT) and I can add that:
the frame-rate is about 10fps
the CPU consumption is about 50% (for BI only)
and moths seems ghosts, as usual :D

unluckily, my cam is too cheap to render their fast flight decently, but I hope possible owls (my targets) will be visualized better

CarbRage

n3wb
Reaction score
I just set up Mint on a Dell precision t3500 that someone tossed out. I'm a dummy when it comes to non window OS's. I installed wine and have no idea how to get BI installed. Nice to see it will work.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just set up Mint on a Dell precision t3500 that someone tossed out. I'm a dummy when it comes to non window OS's. I installed wine and have no idea how to get BI installed. Nice to see it will work.
Power consumption alone of those old systems makes it a poor choice to run 24/7...if your recordings are important to you, run blue iris (or any other vms) on its native OS. It will be most stable. With an i5 haswell pc available for 300, it makes little sense to mess with old power hungry machines.