Blue Iris only has a day and a half of recording after updating to BI5

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I click the calendar and I don't even have 2 days of recordings. I updated from BI4 to BI5 about a week ago. Shortly after doing that, the calendar only showed a short amount of time (recordings). I assumed this was because my folder changed from WWW 4 to WWW 5. But I logged in tonight (days after upgrading to 5) and there are less than 2 days of recordings. BI4 is gone so I can't compare settings. I did import BI4 settings, and everything seems to work OK. Prior to upgrading I had several weeks of recordings. I checked all the cameras and they are still set to record on Motion, so it's not that they changed to always record. D Drive is my hard drive, C drive is my OS (SSD). Is the Databse path wrong, it's pointing to the C drive, I don't see a D:\BlueIris\db folder so I don't think that's the problem. Should it be pointing to the D drive? What do I need to check to figure this out?
BI Clips Menu.JPG
The dive capacity is shown at the bottom of the window. The drive is 1TB. I'm assuming this doesn't really mean much being as the newest clip will overwrite the oldest clip.

Attachments

Last edited:

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have a space allocation error.
10 GB is very small for storage. My new folder is 3400GB.
If you are recording only on motion it depend on your camera resolution, number of cameras and frame rate.

Screen shots of
1) BI status clip storage
2) bi status cameras
3) BI setting clips and archiving, folder settings all folders in use .... stored,alerts, aux1... you have already provide new.
4) camera settings record tab, at least two cameras.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What should that be instead of 10GB? I have a 1TB drive. I don't recall what it was on BI4, could it have changed? I had nearly a month of recordings. After i installed BI5 I changed all my cameras (5 of them) to 15FPS, most were recording more than that.

I did look on my D drive, Blue Iris Clips, Stored, and there are clips back to 12/19/2019, but my calendar only has red dots on today and yesterday. Clicking on a date before yesterday does not display any clips.

Not finding BI settings clips and archiving, folder settings. Found all the others you requested.

Attachments

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In addition, the stored clip dates stop at 1/27, then pick up at 1/21 which was likely the BI4 clips.

Attachments

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
BTW, I noticed I've also stored other files (non-BI files) on my D drive. Could this be messing things up? I don't recall allocating a fixed amount of space on the D drive for BI clip storage. DOes BI know to only overwrite BI clips and leave all other data alone?

When I increased the clip length from 10GB to 800GB the info at the bottom of the screen changes form !!D: -860.3G to !!D: -1.61T, which is strange as the drive is 1TB.

Attachments

Last edited:

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Maybe I figured this out. Time will tell. I went into my D drive Blue Iris Clips, Stored folder and deleted all but one BI4 clip (saving to see if it ever gets overwritten). The display at the bottom of the cameras window no longer displays a negative D drive capacity value, it is now positive. I'm thinking BI5 was not overwriting BI4 files thinking they are non-BI files. Thus only using a small portion of the D drive.

Attachments

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I really need to have this saved somewhere so I can paste it:

Since you are only using your D: drive, and not storing the old recordings on another drive, don't use stored.

db on C:
alerts on C:
new on D:
stored - don't use. Unallocate the drive, or set it back to C: and set the size to 0

Don't store other stuff on D like you mentioned you are doing.

Set new to 100GB less than the usable space on the D drive, and set it to delete (instead of moving to stored).

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I really need to have this saved somewhere so I can paste it:

Since you are only using your D: drive, and not storing the old recordings on another drive, don't use stored.

db on C:
alerts on C:
new on D:
stored - don't use. Unallocate the drive, or set it back to C: and set the size to 0

Don't store other stuff on D like you mentioned you are doing.

Set new to 100GB less than the usable space on the D drive, and set it to delete (instead of moving to stored).
Thank you Walrus! I never understood that page of options. I'll do as you recommend when I get home this evening.
BTW, I checked this morning, and it is storing additional clips after I deleted the older BI4 clips.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What @Walrus said. Don’t move stuff around the same drive, it’s pointless and wastes space and resources.
Makes sense now that I think about it. Not sure how it was set on my BI4 install. Maybe it changed when I installed BI5 or maybe it was wrong all along. In BI4 it did keep a full drive of recent clips.
Anyway, thanks to both of you!

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Changed settings as shown. Any reason to allocate any space to Stored if I'm not using it? It's at 10GB for now. I set New allocation to 800GB (it's a 1TB drive). Looks to be another 120GB available. Should I increase this allocation?

I also copied the clips from Stored to New. Had to rebuild the database before the calendar would see them, but it seemed to work.

I very much appreciate the advise from the experts on this site. Thanks for all the help!

Attachments