Blue Iris Recording Stutter/Crash and Antivirus

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm posting this in the hopes that I'll save someone time and frustration that I've had over the past few days. As I mention in the threat title I was having problems with the recording function in BI either stuttering badly or recording a few seconds and then crashing. I looked over several threads in the forum and reviewed all the usual suspects (thanks fenderman for all the advice):
Buffer - set to 20 megs
FrameRate 15/sec
iFrame - matching FrameRate
Direct To Disk recording enabled
Intel Hardware Acceleration - on (no VPP)

I went through all of these several times, deleted readded cameras and monkied endlessly with settings on the dahua cams themselves. Nothing seemed to help.

Then I came across a reference on the forum to antivirus and telling it to exclude the BI program folder, the recordings folder and the DB folder. I did that and was just about the exit kaspersky when I saw another setting that caught my eye. Exclusions for trusted applications.

I went in there and excluded BlueIris.exe. What I suddenly realized was that Kaspersky was performing Host Intrusion Detection type services and watching the packets going in and coming out of the application. This matches up nicely with the jitter I was seeing.

After excluding both the folders and on the hard drive and the blueiris.exe my recordings are now smooth as a baby's butt.

The important thing to remember here is that if you have an A/V solution that does this sort of stuff you need to not only exclude the folders on the hard drive but also any host IDS type stuff your A/V might be trying to do. It can have a big impact on the network traffic.

~J

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
Argh.... Looks like I declared victory too soon. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would disable the AV software to test it.
I am curious what your system resources look like when recording and when playing back a recorded file.
You could open Task Manager (Ctrl, Alt, Del) and watch the performance tab.

If your system is running out of necessary resources, you will notice it in software that needs 'more resources.'
In other words, if any of your graphs are spiked and holding there, you have some problems there to fix...

TaskMan.JPG

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
Fenderman - no it is a dahua.

Cainrand - I don't think I'm out of resources. Cpu is steady around 23% and system has 8 GB RAM. I'm going to fire up resource mon and see if maybe there is some disk queuing going on. Disabling a/v entirely is also something I'll try tonight.

JSec

n3wb
Reaction score
I think that fixed it. Both the POE uplink from the Dahua cameras and the server were connected to an old dell managed gigabit switch. I mean like 10 years old. I moved both to a new managed netgear switch and everything seems fine. I did see CRC errors on the new netgear switch coming from the old dell switch so it looks like I'm going to need to replace that soon.

Thanks again for the help guys.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just started getting this on my dahua sd 59225u hni.. just started yesterday. Doesnt happen to any other camera so leads me to believe i screwed up a setting on that cameras blue iris properties.. anyone know of this?
delete the camera and start over...or post all your settings.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok. Ill delete first and get back with results

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
delete the camera and start over...or post all your settings.
Deleted camera, left everything alone.. still getting a pause for about 7 secs. This is only happening during the time the camera's auto tracking is in progress

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Deleted camera, left everything alone.. still getting a pause for about 7 secs. This is only happening during the time the camera's auto tracking is in progress
how are you powering the camera?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes.. added like 10 feet.. it worked great for 2 months
doesnt matter....
you need to test with a short power connection or use poe+.....issues when the camera is moving points to power problems.

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
doesnt matter....
you need to test with a short power connection or use poe+.....issues when the camera is moving points to power problems.
I just accessed the footage on the sd card and it plays smooth and clear.. does that mean it's still possibly a power issue? Or a blue iris issue?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that sucks.. its like a 20ft high mount..
it makes it less likely to be a power issue....blue iris would not care if the camera is moving or not...if the video stutters only when the camera is moving the issue is on the camera side...try streaming rtsp to vlc and see if it stutters..

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
it makes it less likely to be a power issue....blue iris would not care if the camera is moving or not...if the video stutters only when the camera is moving the issue is on the camera side...try streaming rtsp to vlc and see if it stutters..
I watched some footage from my nvr and it has the skipping , pause for 5-7 secs too.. you think the network cable is the problem? Gonna be a pain in the ass to switch out to test but guess i will have to eventually if you think that could be the issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I watched some footage from my nvr and it has the skipping , pause for 5-7 secs too.. you think the network cable is the problem? Gonna be a pain in the ass to switch out to test but guess i will have to eventually if you think that could be the issue.
doubt its the cable