Blue Iris Remote Access From Windows

Dan Austin

n3wb
Reaction score
Currently I have three BI servers (Windows 10) running in three locations.
I use the Android and iOS apps to remotely access the BI server and cameras from phone and iPad - they work great.
I use Teamviewer to access BI from a Windows PC but I would like to find an alternative as TV can be somewhat cumbersome.

Researching/checking the BI website, I don't see any BI developed Windows app.

What are the options to access BI from a Windows 10 PC other than Teamviewer (or LogMeIn). Ideally a Windows-based app designed specifically for BI would provide the best (IMHO) functionality.

Dan Austin

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, looney. This is helpful. @bp2008 s software looks great so I'll give it a try.
Now on the VPN, I've read all fourteen pages of nayr's vpn for noobs (great post!) and I'm an IT professional so I don't see any issue setting up VPN on my home network.
Not clear on one thing.
If I implement a vpn server on my network and turn off port forwarding to port 81 (set up within the BI windows software settings pages for remote BI access for android and iOS apps), won't this disable the ability use the BI apps on my android and iPad?
Seems like the consensus experts agree that, other than the vpn port, I should not use port forwarding to my cameras and turn off the port forwarding to my BI server or am I missing something?
Ideally, I want to continue using the BI apps PLUS use your method of vpn to access the BI server securely.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks, looney. This is helpful. @bp2008 s software looks great so I'll give it a try.
Now on the VPN, I've read all fourteen pages of nayr's vpn for noobs (great post!) and I'm an IT professional so I don't see any issue setting up VPN on my home network.
Not clear on one thing.
If I implement a vpn server on my network and turn off port forwarding to port 81 (set up within the BI windows software settings pages for remote BI access for android and iOS apps), won't this disable the ability use the BI apps on my android and iPad?
Seems like the consensus experts agree that, other than the vpn port, I should not use port forwarding to my cameras and turn off the port forwarding to my BI server or am I missing something?
Ideally, I want to continue using the BI apps PLUS use your method of vpn to access the BI server securely.
Thanks.
Fyi - A lot of modern routers have VPN feature built in for example Netgear Nighthawk. Setup for me was quick and easy with instructions included in the help file

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
...If I implement a vpn server on my network and turn off port forwarding to port 81 (set up within the BI windows software settings pages for remote BI access for android and iOS apps), won't this disable the ability use the BI apps on my android and iPad?
Thanks.
Assuming that things are set up right, you'll be able to use both. When on VPN your client devices will function effectively as if they are local devices on your network. You'll connect to the VPN on your public IP and the devices will use local 192.168.x.x (or whatever) addresses to access the BI server so the outside port forwarding isn't in play (other than the VPN port itself obviously). i.e., You'd point your VPN client to your public IP or DDNS host name and hit the BI server as 192.168.1.x:81 for example.

Dan Austin

n3wb
Reaction score
got it! i'm all set.
thanks, guys!
i'll keep you "posted" if I hit any snags