Blue iris remote access through two routers

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m installing my 2nd blue iris system at my shop (finally). My neighbor was kind enough to let me link into his network so I setup a WiFi bridge to my shop which works fantastic.

He has a standard bell fibe DSL modem going to my bridge then I have a second dlink router on my end to give some isolation to the networks (my friend in it suggested that) so his modem is not assigning ip’s for my network, my router is.

My BI machine runs the remote wizard fine, and everything goes green and works when I’m local at my shop WiFi, but when I leave the shop WIFI it will not work remotely on my iPhone app or the web login. My friend said I should setup a ddns and that would fix it, but I’ve never done that yet, and he doesn’t work with Bi.

I would rather understand the issue before I decide what fix, I know The second router is the issue, but is there any way to get around that or am I slave to his modem as ddns service?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
DDNS would make it easier for you to connect remotely, but it is not going to magically configure the routing for you.

He needs to forward a port from his router to your router. (almost any port number will work)

You can use that port number to run a VPN server on your router OR forward that port to Blue Iris's web server.

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DDNS would make it easier for you to connect remotely, but it is not going to magically configure the routing for you.

He needs to forward a port from his router to your router. (almost any port number will work)

You can use that port number to run a VPN server on your router OR forward that port to Blue Iris's web server.
I have opened or created a port forwarding rule on his router already to point to the BI server on my router, but are you saying I need to open a port to my router and THEN my BI server?

Or will it see my BI server if I just open the port to the shop router on the main Router?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

sjamieso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, when you have two routers between the internet and the device you want to connect to, you have what is called a double-NAT setup. Both routers need to be told how to get specific incoming traffic to the intended destination.

Here, I made a diagram.

Awesome, thanks for that. I got it working with port forwarding though the two routers and also created a ddns account so I can access it online anytime from a desktop.

Of course it stopped working late morning and I had to go back and re do it, it seemed to have changed the IP address for the BI machine on router number one, so maybe I didn’t set it properly I dunno. Works good now! Crossing my fingers it stays that way lol.