Blue Iris Tools - Weather Overlay, Watchdog & more!

Discussion in 'Blue Iris Tools' started by Mike, Mar 30, 2014.

Share This Page

1. SV2BZQ

SV2BZQ n3wb

Hi again .
    Please any idea for wind (km/h) error ....

George .

2. Kenjusticejr

Kenjusticejr BIT Beta Team

Are you using Blue Iris Tools? Maybe try a different weather station for the info, it could be an error on their data feed.

3. SV2BZQ

SV2BZQ n3wb

yes I have tried another weather station here : http://makrigialos.sv2bzq.gr/wxwebcam.php
    with the same results !!!!!

George .

4. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Sorry for the delay @SV2BZQ, it's been a very busy week. Thank you for the bug report, I am aware of the issue and will fix it for the next release which I plan on releasing soon :)

What language is this? Do you mind sharing your language file with us? Thanks.

Take care.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    SV2BZQ likes this.
  5. SV2BZQ

SV2BZQ n3wb

Ok Mike .... no problem ...wait for the next version .
    Language is GREEK .... no problem sharing with you but I have some problems in the Code Font i can see me everything right ......still works .
    Thanks for answering Mike ...

George.

6. dwynalda

dwynalda n3wb

Mike - is there a place that I can look to read about the equipment used to create the weather data? My boss has asked me to find a way to put the weather in an overlay on his camera (so he can determine wind direction when deer are passing by) - but I don't know where to start regarding which hardware to choose for the weather detection. (I believe there are multiple options and I want to choose something that will provide the data in a format that you can use with the tools)

Thank you advanced for tolerating such a newbie question. I've installed blueiris and have 6 cameras and I love it - but I've just started talking about adding other sensors into the mix...

7. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Hi @dwynalda, first off thanks for joining. It's not a newbie question at all. Blue Iris Tools uses wunderground.com's API to gather weather information from local weather stations. Your boss could set up his own weather station, link it to wunderground, then use that station ID with Blue Iris Tools. I plan on doing this at my home, just haven't gotten around to it. Here is a list of personal weather stations that are compatible - http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/setup.asp#hardware I have been planning on purchasing an Ambient Weather one. Here are the Ambient Weather stations that are compatible with wunderground - http://www.ambientweather.com/weunwestpa.html After you set up the weather station you can register it with wunderground then use the station ID in Blue Iris Tools and you will be all set.

Best of luck, post back letting us know how it turned out!

Mike

8. dwynalda

dwynalda n3wb

Thank you so much for the information! I downloaded and installed the software, found a weather station locally to use (for now) and configured it. I have the tools running and updating the text file. Question (another newbie question, sorry) but how do I tell BlueIris to use the .txt files that are being updated as an overlay? I see how I can type specific text or add a date but I'm thinking there must be a customization screen that I'm missing for doing what I am looking to do...

9. sprucecams

sprucecams Getting the hang of it

Does running BI Tools add much of a CPU load? Maybe depending upon how often the weather data is updated?

10. Mike

Mike Staff Member

You need to set up a Macro in Blue Iris. Check this out - http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php?184-Blue-Iris-Tools-Help-File#macros

It has barely added any load on my i5 and i7 machines running it. I have a friend running it on the i3 and it's the same, minimal resources used.

11. dwynalda

dwynalda n3wb

Thank you so much for the advice on the macro setup. I was over-thinking it a bit. When I hear macro I think excel macro or Javascript routine or perl code. Setting up a shortcut (macro) to point to specific files - which gets used in the text on the overlay was intuitive and slick. I now have weather on one of my webcams in the font and color I prefer. This is a most excellent utility. Thank you so much for your help.

12. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Glad to hear you got it working for you and thanks for using Blue Iris Tools :)

13. chuck

chuck n3wb

Just a note to say thank you to the developers/maintainers of Blue Iris, Blue Iris Tools, and a h/t to the person linking to the NSSM program.

Been running BI for a few months, nice and stable on it's own computer tucked away without a mouse/kb/monitor, all access is through remote desktop connection. This past weekend I added BIT for weather overlays on one of the cameras and noticed it stopped updating when I logged out of the machine. Using NSSM to run BIT as a service installed in a snap and functions as I hoped.

14. Sandpipper

Sandpipper n3wb

Glad I found a pointer to this site - and your tools. A great app;action. Thanks for sharing your talents.

I got it working for my camera which will become a weather cam for my Weather underground PWS. It looks good. My only problem is that in the process of setting it up I got an overlay on the screen that I can't make go away. I suspect it is just a residual macro file someplace. Could anyone tell me where BI stores it's overlay text?

-----
    Sandpipper

Mike likes this.
  15. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Glad you are using Blue Iris Tools and thanks for joining the forum.

You can edit the overlays on your camera by right clicking the camera, then Camera Properties. Then under the Video tab, click the "Edit..." button under the Text and Graphic Overlays on the bottom. From there you can edit the macros that are overlayed. You can also do this easily in Blue Iris Tools under the "Macros" section.

16. Sandpipper

Sandpipper n3wb

I appreciate your response. And, I have tried the methods you suggest. However, in this case, it does not work. The overlay in the center of the screen does not respond to the right click when I try to edit the BI overlays.

I am reasonably sure that I caused the problem by opening and saving a new overlay without clicking on and clearing the previous one. In any case, what I wanted to do is look where the macron are stored and see if I can locate something there that is causing it. As a last resort I could delete the camera and create a new one.

I have included a snap of the screen. The image in the center is the unwanted on. I notice that when the good overlay in the upper left corner is updated the bad one is updated also.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2014
  17. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Sometimes you need to click all over the area of the text for the dialog to come up...worst case do as you say and set up a new cam...

18. Jeff Fabiani

Jeff Fabiani n3wb

I love BIT, thank you so much for creating this tool for us.

One thing I would love to see in BIT is the ability to see the frames per second for each camera on the network. Because my cameras are wireless, they sometimes have connectivity issues and signal is lost. When this happens (or when the signal seems to be very low) I open BI to get into the "status" window to see the connection status of each camera. In this window is has the frames per second of each camera on the network. While I love this feature, I do not like to have BI open just to see this option. It would be ideal to have section in BIT that would display the frames per second of each camera, so i can continue to run BI as a service and use BIT to monitor it all.

If this is a possibility, that would be fantastic.

Again, thank you for your hard work in making BIT for us all.

Jeff

19. James DiBernardo

James DiBernardo Young grasshopper

Im just finding this tool and love it Great job devs.

To the one person that was asking about how to make a BLANK Camera to display only weather stuff.

Try this:

Create a new camera, and point it to "Screen Capture" --> DirectDraw Blits (for me it was black screen and worked)

then add your Macro list to it...
    [​IMG]

Secondly:

I would love to see more API hooks into other smart home automation products if you can for example NEST Thermostats, wireless motion triggers, etc... or even back into Blue Iris (cpu metrics, DB metrics, FPS metrics..etc..)

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Bapski likes this.
  20. João Camilo

João Camilo n3wb

In this case, how should I set the address (IP host name)?
    In my case I put 'dl.dropboxusercontent.com', and the Path '/ u / 2136735 / WOL.JPG', HTTPS, (if possible): active.
    This address works in a browser, but not in BI.
    Can you help?

21. Mike

Mike Staff Member

I will be releasing an update to Blue Iris Tools soon and address some bug fixes as well as some new features such as 'detect freeze screen' and Pushover integration for instant push alerts to your cell phone. Stay tuned :D

James DiBernardo, SV2BZQ and msantic like this.
  22. Sabot

Sabot Young grasshopper

Mr. Mike,

You get my first post on the forum. I am new to both CCTV and Blue Ivis. Installing my system today. I have tested my cameras and Blue Ivis in the lab. I can't wait to use your add-ins. Thank you for them and the website! Have a wonderful day.

Regards,
    Michael

23. Matthew Hodder

Matthew Hodder n3wb

Just wanted to pass on my thanks for an awesome add on the blue iris!!

I'd also like to vote for metric option for precipitation and a text field for just wind direction (maybe just shorthand like N and NW).

Precipitation conversion is easy, just inches to millimetres.

1 inch = 25.4mm (millimetres)

Thanks again!

Regards,
    Matt

24. sdkid

sdkid n3wb

Wow---- Excellent add-on. I have been using wunderground for a long time, and I have had my own weather data station for about a year (also connected to wunderground). My blueiris cam system is going to have to get an upgrade here soon, and this will be a part of it! Way Cool!!

25. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Updated to v1.0.2 on December 13, 2014

I released an update to Blue Iris Tools today that addresses various bug fixes as well as a bunch of new features. Several members have requested the addition of Metric values, so it has been added. If you select both Celsius and km/h, metric values will be displayed for precipitation and pressure. I also added Pushover as a Watchdog alert which will enable you to have a push notification sent to your mobile device when the Watchdog is triggered. See the changelog below to see more details and please report any issues here.

What's New
    -Detect if BI freezes, not just crashes
    -Pushover integration added
    -Metric values for pressure and precipitation added
    -Option to close BI then open it in CPU Watchdog
    -$globalip replacement variable added
    -Millimeter and Millibar language definitions added
    -Various bug fixes

How To Download / Install:
    In Blue Iris Tools, click the 'Options' tab, then the 'Check For Update' button. From there you can download and install the update. You may also download the update from the first post in this thread but within BIT is desired.

** Update 12/17/14 **
    Updated to v1.0.3 on December 17, 2014

Minor bug fix when closing BIT.

What's New
    -Minor bug fix from 1.0.2

atoombunker, SV2BZQ, msantic and 2 others like this.
  26. dammad

dammad n3wb

I installed Blue Iris Tools on my BI setup (6 foscams recording Direct-To-Disk on a i5 processor machine). I only setup the Watchdog function on BI (no overlays, etc.), but the CPU load on the machine went up from 40% to 80-90%.. I've rebooted and restarted BI to make sure it is fresh and not suffering from other issues, but I get the same.. Why is BI Tools increasing the load when its not doing anything much?

27. webrat11

webrat11 n3wb

Awesome. Many thanks.

28. Mike

Mike Staff Member

Updated to v1.0.3 on December 17, 2014

Minor release tonight to 1.0.3. I found a small bug in 1.0.2 when closing BIT which has been resolved. Current release is 1.0.3

29. Mike

Mike Staff Member

@dammad, not sure why that is, should have no issues at all on an i5. What version of windows?

30. Sabot

Sabot Young grasshopper

I had the same issue that my CPU went from around 38% to 99%. I uninstalled BIT and BI, powered cycled the server and started over. I also changed my four channels to direct to disc to see how that worked. I installed BIT but only enabled the program options. My CPU is running about 35% now.

System Spec:
    Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A4001LUX

Xeon E3-1225 v3
    8GB ECC Memory
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    All drivers are up to date

Cameras:
    2 each: Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I
    2 each: Dahua IPC-HFW4300S

I set all camera's similar to below:

[​IMG]