Blue Iris UI3 behind IIS Reverse Proxy

hgpot

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all.

Brand new to Blue Iris, coming over from Geovision VMS. We are in love with the software, but we're trying to see about securing it with AD credentials. My thought process was to set up an IIS Reverse Proxy, and then just limit that page to certain AD groups with Windows Authentication. The IIS part works in general, but it seems something is wrong. I have set up a standard reverse proxy (we have many in IIS) on the Windows Server 2016 server that is hosting Blue Iris. I am able to view it directly (having it on port 81), but not from within the Reverse Proxy. It just spins and gives errors like "The video stream was lost" and "Protocol Error".

1613435180582.png

I have tried the settings suggested here. X-Forwarded-For Header, not under a virtual directory, Content-Security-Policy Header. I'm not sure how to confirm if Store-and-Forward is enabled, but this tells me it is rare to be default. I went through this guide to adjust the Accept-Encoding header.

Attachments

KronicMag

n3wb
Reaction score
Just starting to use BI myself and wanted to put it behind an IIS Proxy like I do for a lot of my other services. I ran into the same problems where the stream was delayed, however using the JPG option worked just fine.

While reading thru the instructions for UI3 and using nginx I noticed that they mentioned these two settings under the streaming section: proxy_buffering off; tcp_nodelay on;

So I tried going into IIS and at the server level, open Application Request Routing then click Server Proxy Settings. Lower the Response Buffer and Response Buffer Threadhold values from the default of 4096 and 256 to 256 and 8. Reload your browser and reconnect your iOS apps. At least for me, the streams show up immediately and there does not appear to be any delay so far. I'm not sure if 256 and 8KB are the best settings, or if it would be even better to set these both to 0.

I have not looked into an equivalent setting in IIS for tcp_nodelay.

Hope this helps, and if anyone finds any further information please reply.