Blue Iris UI3

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Regarding "Stats for Nerds", I am asking for clarification on a couple of line items:

1. Network Delay: Is this from the BI server to my laptop running UI3?
2. Player Delay: I don't understand this and what impacts it.
3. Delayed Frames - Same as #2.

On the surface it looks like all three should be as low as possible.

Thanks!
[Excited about the release of BI 5!!]
Johnny

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding "Stats for Nerds", I am asking for clarification on a couple of line items:

1. Network Delay: Is this from the BI server to my laptop running UI3?
2. Player Delay: I don't understand this and what impacts it.
3. Delayed Frames - Same as #2.

On the surface it looks like all three should be as low as possible.

Thanks!
[Excited about the release of BI 5!!]
Johnny
1. Yes, it is between BI and UI3. A few hundred milliseconds here is not an indication of a problem as long as it is fairly stable.
2. Player Delay is basically the video buffer. It is the duration of video that UI3 has received from the network but has not yet been shown on screen. UI3 tries to keep this close to 0ms but the HTML5/H.264 player doesn't like to be told what to do so it is often between 300-1000ms under normal operation.
3. Delayed frames is just the number of frames in the video buffer (related to #2).

Jose R.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
UI3 is incredible, and I can't thank BP enough for it. I am having two issues however, even after searching:

1. I can't advance the footage frame by frame. I can only use the slider to scrub to a frame, which obviously is very imprecise.
2. Taking a snapshot on the desired frame results in a pic from several seconds later. I need the same frame I've paused on, why does it download a frame into the future?

This is on Chrome/PC.

Thanks!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Jose R.

Hi. UI3 does have frame-by-frame seeking capability. Are you saying it doesn't work or that you can't find it? To keep the out-of-box experience a bit cleaner, the on-screen buttons for this are not shown by default. Find them in the Extra section at the bottom of UI Settings. There are also hotkeys for this, default keys are comma and period (< and > keys).

As for snapshots, that is a bit tricky. The quick answer is if you need perfect timing precision from your saved snapshot, you should use a jpeg streaming mode in the video player, not H.264. UI3 gets all snapshots from Blue Iris' jpeg streaming API, and for some reason the time offsets often do not match perfectly between H.264 and Jpeg methods. I have no idea why it happens but I'm keenly aware of it.

Jose R.

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, BP. The frame by frame wasn't working. It would jump random amounts of time. Altho now looking at it, the JPEG mode fixed it. Both of my issues are related to the jpeg stream. So whenever I need to do any detail frame work, I'll just switch to Jpeg. Thanks! I got my screen shot.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the H.264 stream timing in general just feels a little bit off to me. If you watch the seek bar very closely when unpausing, you may notice it progress forward for a few frames, then jumps back and continues forward again. Most noticeable with very short clips. While I can't be 100% sure this isn't caused by something dumb that I've done, I'm pretty sure it is Blue Iris's doing.

Reaction score
First time firing up UI3 on my new system. Used Chrome with no issues. Works and is pretty awesome!
I know....I have to do some fine tuning on camera angles and BI settings. Just installed these 4 cams today.oie_2662750pfib7b37.jpg
oie_2662750pfib7b37.jpg

Pugnacious

n3wb
Reaction score
I really think that Blue Iris is great and the more I experiment with camera settings (fps, image quality, etc), the better results I get. I really want to get the web (Ui3) interface running on a dedicate home monitor but need my 6 cameras keep coming up in a 3 across by 2 down format. Because I'm using a portrait screen (doing double duty displaying family pictures), I'd really need my cameras to be 2 across and 3 down. If I install a front door cam (7 cams), it would be great to have 1 larger view on top with the 2x3 frames below it. Can anyone suggest changes (that I can make or customize) in Ui3 or other files to enable this change? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this was asked somewhere else.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Pugnacious I like your username ;)

The only control you have over the layout of camera groups in UI3 is to tweak the group frame size in Blue Iris's group settings. I suggest creating a new camera group just for your portrait layout, add all cameras to it, and then play with its frame size here:

(at certain aspect ratio thresholds, BI will re-wrap the cameras differently)

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, I'm no genius, in fact I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here. I don't see how to export a clip to AVI as was introduced in ver 15. I am now on ver 74, but I only see the option to download a bvr. I checked the help files and couldn't find anything. I right click on the clip and went through the UI settings, and I just can't find the option. I'm using Win7 and IE. Somebody help me out here? TIA.
UPDATE: I see the option now in Firefox, but in IE the option for AVI does not appear. Is this normal?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, IE is a terrible web browser which does not support the streaming method that is used by the export feature.

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply bp. Much appreciated. Agreed, a terrible browser,which is why I never use it for the web. Thanks for the clarification!

UPDATE: And now I see why I only had jpeg streams, it's all because of IE. In Firefox there's all my stream options! Wow, I never knew.

Last edited:

knedit

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im having a problem with this. Just installed it manually on a fairly old blue iris install and can only see one clip for each of the cameras, despite having a lot of them in the blue iris. Ive tried a lot of versions and the problem is there in all of them. any ideas?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How old of BI versions are we talking about? UI3 is not designed to be extremely compatible with old versions.