Blue Iris UI3

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I find it is more reliable to open the specific TCP port you have Blue Iris's web server listening on.
Would I go into the rule and do it here or create another rule for the port or does it not make a difference?

1595537373642.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
You should make it an entirely separate new rule that just opens TCP port 81 or whatever port you use, and opens it for all interfaces (private/public/domain) and don't limit it to specific processes.

You'd do it in the firewall advanced settings > Inbound Rules

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks - that got it working! Still puzzling how adding BI back on the inbound rules didn't accomplish it, but it sounds like you have experienced it in the past where that doesn't work!

I have switched out the mouse LOL so hopefully something like this doesn't happen again.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a "camera", actually radblast from Nexrad, that I haven't been using on a while. I just re-enabled it today, because of the thunderstorm threats, and notice two things. It updates every two minutes. Every two minutes UI3 dims then brightens to normal again. Only a second or so to do the cycle. The other thing is that I can't display that camera as a full screen. I suspect that's because it's not a "real" video stream, just a snapshot that happens every two minutes.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs you could probably find some other software to download that image periodically into your BI's www folder and then have Blue Iris open that image from its own web server as a new camera that updates a lot more often, like at 1 FPS, and that would make it more usable.

bdf0506

n3wb
Reaction score
The examples you’ve given are separate networks so BI as far as I’m concerned is working correctly. Change your mask to /16 if you want it to be treated as the same network?
I exchanged a few emails back and forth with BI support. I can't do a /16 or another subnet other than /24 based on other items with this network.

After talking with support, something changed between BI4 and BI5, as BI4 treated separate LAN networks still as LAN. What I was able to do was create another NIC on the VM that runs BI, IP'd that to a dummy IP that is on the network where I want the anonymous access to work (did not give it a gateway), restarted BI service, and then it was listed as an adapter on the web server page. At that point, connections coming from the other network were now treated as LAN networks.

Overall, seemed hack-ish and BI said they would look into this and possibly consider improving this logic.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is there away to change the UI3 background to transparent? I looked at help and poked around in the ui3.css but am lost on that part. Default background color shows as black.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there away to change the UI3 background to transparent? I looked at help and poked around in the ui3.css but am lost on that part. Default background color shows as black.
Technically yes, but a "transparent" css background color doesn't mean you can see your desktop through it; it only means the element won't show its own background color. If you set everything to have a transparent background color, then the background color would just be white since that is the default for an html page.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using UI3 displayed in a Homeseer HSTouch touch screen. So it uses a browser html object that can have transparency so I figured maybe I could change the background color from the black it displays. Would have a nice visual if the video windows appear over a transparent background. Then it would blend in nicely with the other GUI elements for HomeAutomation.

Would like to try if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Lost both local and remote network access yesterday via UI3. Console BI5 access to web server setup today revealed LAN "bind exclusively" checkbox was checked. I unchecked and now access to both LAN and WAN are restored for me. Did an update get pushed within the last couple days?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't read all 135 pages, so my questions may be dumb.

1. Is the UI3 a separate program for BI5? I thought I was using the UI3 interface when I connect to BI5 on my LAN using a browser. I never downloaded anything except BI5.
2. Is UI3 something that can be downloaded on an android cell phone to view BI5 remotely? Or do you still have to purchase the BI5 mobile app?

Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
UI3 is integrated into BI and is not a separate program. There is a BI app for Android, one time fee, or you can access your network directly using a VPN. Whether using the app or direct access, a VPN is, basically, required for security.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't read all 135 pages, so my questions may be dumb.

1. Is the UI3 a separate program for BI5? I thought I was using the UI3 interface when I connect to BI5 on my LAN using a browser. I never downloaded anything except BI5.
2. Is UI3 something that can be downloaded on an android cell phone to view BI5 remotely? Or do you still have to purchase the BI5 mobile app?

Thanks!
1. In a way, yes it is a separate program. But it has been included with Blue Iris for over two years now, and it is what you get if you access Blue Iris through a web browser like Chrome. You know you are using UI3 if the address bar says ui3.htm in it.
2. Yes, but you don't download it in the traditional sense. You just load Blue Iris's web interface in a browser the same as you would on a desktop/laptop. You do NOT need to purchase the BI5 mobile app unless you want a feature that can only be provided by the mobile app, such as geofencing or two-way audio.

Tip: you can add a shortcut to UI3 to your phone's home screen by using the browser's main menu while you have UI3 loaded. It will get a nice icon and everything, and when you open UI3 from this shortcut, you get a slightly larger view because some of the regular web browser stuff like the address bar will be hidden.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you bp2008. That tip worked great! Can UI3 be used on the phone outside of the LAN? Does that require port forwarding on my router? Does the BI5 mobile app avoid port forwarding? I'm not certain I want to mess with VPNs yet.

Serodgers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Technically yes, but a "transparent" css background color doesn't mean you can see your desktop through it; it only means the element won't show its own background color. If you set everything to have a transparent background color, then the background color would just be white since that is the default for an html page.
Is there any way to get a video element to not display black around the video element? In the group view i have three camera and there is lots of black surrounding the UI3 videos.

When a single camera is selected you still have black padding top and bottom. Any way to remove that or at least allow its color to be changed so I can blend it in with other items.

View attachment 67682
View attachment 67683

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To adjust group video streams (with multiple cameras), you need to type a custom frame size in for the group, as shown in this screenshot.

There's only so much you can do with that though. 3 cameras isn't a great number to have if you want to make the most efficient use of space on a typical monitor.

With a single camera selected, the best way to eliminate black space is to resize your browser window. I know, dumb answer, but its all I've got.

The only other approach to filling black space is for me to add an option to distort the aspect ratio of a camera to fill the available space. And I'm never going to do that.