Blue Iris UI3

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by bp2008, Nov 1, 2017.

Share This Page

1. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Yeah go ahead and send me login info in a private message (conversation). My nginx testing virtual machine won't boot. I hate VMs.

Edit: Oh hey, it booted this time.

2. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Ok so I'm not seeing a problem through my nginx proxy. I'll definitely need to try through yours @Jury

3. Jaceon

Jaceon Young grasshopper

Long time UI2 user with no complaints on that. Running on about 4 PC's 24/7.. decided to try UI3 on my PC and things I've right off noticed... on Edge .. which yes I know it's Edge I've had many other issues with that project =).. but after using it for a couple minutes, switching through cameras it eventually just freezes up, has the spinning circle, and just goes dead. So I switched to using it via Opera and all seems well. It's still definitely not nearly as responsive as UI2 when switching through cameras, but that could be settings I suppose. I noticed UI3 uses way less bandwidth as well which is big when I'm using it on 4 or so 24/7 PC's.. Anyways, I could probably get used to that trade-off for the bandwidth. Just reporting what I've noticed. Thanks again!

4. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

:)

Yes, Edge is a terrible browser for UI3, especially since the HTML5 video update last week which Edge imposes over 3 seconds of delay for. Firefox is also kind of bad but not as bad as Edge. Chrome and Opera are the best.

If you choose a Jpeg quality option then UI3 will perform like UI2, both in terms of bandwidth and responsiveness. The other quality/profile options use H.264 and it takes a little longer for Blue Iris to get started streaming it.

Jaceon and RobF like this.
  5. Jaceon

Jaceon Young grasshopper

As you know you are, you are correct. :)... Well.. I still think UI2 is about .2 seconds faster when switching around just because it doesn't have that spinning circle animation, but maybe that's just me lol. Anyways, I think I do prefer the UI3 stream as long as I use a browser that plays nice so think I'm finally ready to retire the good ol UI2 :(. Thanks yet again!

6. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Heh. A lot of work actually went into making UI3 feel more responsive. Like when you are streaming jpegs and switch from a group to a single cam, it upscales the last frame from that cam in the group until the full res frame loads. And it instantly dims the view until the new cam loads. That kind of thing.

aaronwt, looney2ns and Jaceon like this.
  7. Albert Einstien

Albert Einstien Young grasshopper

One handy feature in UI2 was that I could go to full screen even in a scaled down window. That is to say, only the cameras visible without the left hand pane and top menu, in a scaled down window. This does not seem possible In UI3. From what I can tell, video only for full screen will always default to a maximized screen. On the other hand, a scaled window will always have the left hand pane and top menu visible. The reason this was handy in UI2, is that I could go to 'All Camera's Cycle', and put a scaled down window in the top corner of my screen. Using 'full screen', and hiding the browser menus, and also having the left hand UI2 pane, and top menu hidden in a scaled window, I end up with a small window in the corner of my monitor displaying a cycle of the cameras, video only, while doing other computer work at the same time. Is this not possible in UI3?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

@Albert Einstien I believe the very first hotkey (CTRL + tilde) is the one you're looking for...

9. Albert Einstien

Amazing. I should have known you had it covered. I'm liking UI3. Thanks for the coverage.

10. bremsstrahlung

bremsstrahlung n3wb

All,

I am new to the forum but not BI.....I have been a big fan of this program and have enjoyed each new patch with the fixes and features. Like most I have been using the new UI3 for web-access and up until recently everything has been fine. I would say a week ago I have had nothing but issues with UI3 and wish to provide some examples in the hope someone can help. Please keep in mind that my examples are NOT how the issues happens all the time, sometimes there are other error messages and/or behavior that is very hard to document and explain in a concise manner. Very rarely i can log right in to the system with no issues at first but quickly start to have problems. The problem basically goes like this (kind of)...

1) Navigate to url for web login

2) Attempt to login

3) Most times get this message....

upload_2018-6-14_13-41-21.png

4) Other times it will login but then I see this….

upload_2018-6-14_13-41-42.png

5) Sometimes…this….

upload_2018-6-14_13-42-7.png

(with address info redacted)

As mentioned before there are a very few times where I can login with no issues, and see my cameras…that said rather quickly I receive messages stating something to the effect that my session has timed out and the page will refresh and then I basically get thrown back to the login screen.

Help!

11. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

If you open Blue Iris's status window and look at the Connections tab, what does that look like?

12. bremsstrahlung

bremsstrahlung n3wb

I looked at the Connections tab (I can also remote into that machine) and watched what is happening when I attempt to connect via the UI3...

Basically I see the IP of the remote desktop connection (give kbs, fps, etc) and then when UI3 freaks out I see another IP address come in with no (kbs, fps). I looked up this new IP address and it would appear that it has something to do with my ISP (the Comcastic Ones).

13. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Well one way or another it looks like Blue Iris is having a lot of trouble keeping your sessions alive. My only guess about the cause was that something was flooding your server with new sessions but that doesn't appear to be the case.

14. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Another possibility is that you are concurrently accessing another web service using the same host name but a different port number, and the other web service is stomping Blue Iris's "session" cookie.

15. bremsstrahlung

bremsstrahlung n3wb

I am sure if I looked I could find it, but since I have your ear...what port is recommended to use...perhaps I can change things up a bit and see what happens. And thanks for answering my questions!

16. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Any port number you like, for the most part. Though it will not affect your problem if it is caused by another service interfering with Blue Iris's session cookie.

Here is a list of ports that Chrome has blacklisted for various reasons. It would be unwise for a web server to listen on one of these:

Code:
    1,    // tcpmux
      7,    // echo
      9,    // discard
      11,   // systat
      13,   // daytime
      15,   // netstat
      17,   // qotd
      19,   // chargen
      20,   // ftp data
      21,   // ftp access
      22,   // ssh
      23,   // telnet
      25,   // smtp
      37,   // time
      42,   // name
      43,   // nicname
      53,   // domain
      77,   // priv-rjs
      79,   // finger
      87,   // ttylink
      95,   // supdup
      101,  // hostriame
      102,  // iso-tsap
      103,  // gppitnp
      104,  // acr-nema
      109,  // pop2
      110,  // pop3
      111,  // sunrpc
      113,  // auth
      115,  // sftp
      117,  // uucp-path
      119,  // nntp
      123,  // NTP
      135,  // loc-srv /epmap
      139,  // netbios
      143,  // imap2
      179,  // BGP

17. Albert Einstien

I was a holdout for UI2, but now I am fully onboard with UI3. I really like the maximize=1 URl parameter, which works with a startup shortcut I have set to run when the PC boots itself up automatically first thing in the morning, sweeet. I am using IE with no problems here. Just want to say thanks bp! Running smooth.

bp2008 likes this.
  18. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

I get that error once in a while too. It is very rare for me. I can't figure out what is causing it.

Which browser and operating system is having these problems with the HTML5 player? I know that Microsoft Edge is terrible at it, adding about 3 seconds of delay to every video stream. Chrome is the best performer. I was not aware of any modern browser currently triggering the "user input required" thing since I muted the video element so I am curious which one is doing it.

Long-press to open the context menu over the clip list and one of the options is to enlarge the thumbnails. Note that this and a lot of other UI3 features will not work if you are on an iOS device, but I suppose you should be used to such sacrifices if you use Apple products. A few things like the enlarged thumbnails you could turn on globally via a local overrides file: UI3 Help

19. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

@bp2008
    I too am now seeing frame drops and audio drops with this and latest version .2 of BI.
    But only when viewing clips. Live view is fine.
    I also see lots of drops in FPS while viewing clips's frequently drops to 0.
    I have it set to 10.
    On. three different computers, running win7pro, chrome as browser.

But, I suspect I've screwed up web server settings in BI. Do you have a recommendation for those settings.

Edit: Now also, the animated previews take a few seconds to load, before they were instantaneous.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  20. awsum140

awsum140 Getting comfortable

Ya made me go look, Looney. I'm running BI on a Win7/64 machine and viewing on an i5 craptop, ~400Mbps WiFi, using Opera. No delays with animations and dropped frames, hiccups, aren't a factor on clips or alerts. The Bi web server is set, basically, with the default config.

21. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

@looney2ns I have noticed no problems with this version of BI.

Audio cutouts usually are due to poor network conditions.

If you are actually seeing video frames be dropped then it is most likely Blue Iris doing it because it is starved for CPU time. Or you could be seeing the video pause regularly and then quickly catch up, which is a symptom of poor network conditions. UI3 rarely (effectively never) drops frames because doing so before decoding them would lead to visual corruption, and once frames are decoded, there is little to be gained by not just rendering them. Blue Iris can and does drop frames though when it can't handle all the frames in real time. This is common when playing recordings at higher-than-normal rates.

Clip previews being slow to load could be network-related or a symptom of overloaded CPU on either the viewing PC or the Blue Iris server.

I'm sure there are some web server settings that could be screwed up, but not to result in these problems.

looney2ns likes this.
  22. looney2ns

looney2ns Known around here

@bp2008
    Thanks for the reply.
    Turns out, I believe it was caused by a nasty thunderstorm we had a day or two ago. When I tried to login to the poe switch, it wouldn't respond. Used the factory default reset, and every thing now seems back to normal.
    Thanks.

23. actran

actran Getting the hang of it

@bp2008 Sorry to bug, I upgraded BlueIris to v4.7.2 last night (Got UI3 v29).

Before, UI3 was running smoothly on my Mac Firefox. Now, all H.264 modes (720, 1080, 1440, 4k) are all highly pixelated. The JPEG HD mode actually looks less pixelated than the H.264 modes.

I have ensured that I have latest Fireforx v60.0.2. I also cleared browser cache/history and tried again.

In Firefox developer console, I see:

OpenGL compositor Initialized Succesfully.
    Version: 2.1 INTEL-10.25.19
    Vendor: Intel Inc.
    Renderer: Intel Iris Pro OpenGL Engine
    FBO Texture Target: TEXTURE_2D
    1529330394731 addons.webextension.{d3e01ff2-9a3a-4007-8f6e-7acd9a5de263} WARN Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
    1529330453626 Toolkit.Telemetry WARN TelemetryStorage::_scanArchive - have seen this id before: b7516203-9bf7-7d4d-bfa5-211273b68184, overwrite: false
    onboarding-session-end should pass valid session_key OnboardingTelemetry.jsm:379
    Loading failed for the <script> with source “https://js.dmtry.com/antenna2.js?0_4170_215643629_98595131”. B20789560.215643629;dc_ver=42.111;sz=728x90;u_sd=2;dc_adk=1419261501;ord=3itl0d;click=https%3A%2F%2Fadclick.g.doubleclick.net%2Faclk%3Fsa%3DL%26ai%3DCVWKVg7snW76rKaGQ9AOqpKbABpbw_rxN6uTGo4kBwI23ARABIABgyYaAgICAoBmCARdjYS1wdWItNTkyMjU1Mzc0ODAwNzMwM8gBCagDAaoEogFP0KciMoPXb05Kh7dD5XTyCpfMJbyRYYehyyvzwlO4jpA-2lnSpacRLjJ0aUERLT2zqQ0WCs1HmjxrkOKWqXT2Q6l8VgYcITmo2z5LZpThL60xixnIdmwC4V_ddG54BbJF5lEv2XFrvfsTamCDZF6PnnZi8IC94PEH2CggZMsb0CnoM3b8A_a6pDxDGG-jylPO1vlDmtGkCQ8aSXEzfaOpGeCABqWvkdmAo-bEXKAGIagHpr4b2AcA0ggFCIBhEAE%26num%3D1%26sig%3DAOD64_1xda0vAaQMHxD_8iXO4f8rH2iKaw%26client%3Dca-pub-5922553748007303%26adurl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fpr-bucket.ybp.yahoo.com%2Fcj%2Fcd%2FA_E4BYDvFyLM_KEO_S5sg9papiTH6yyq9QjNZUtvrIJmut6G_CUxzIZ9XH5o5umZyycQowwzxmTU6CrmpawFX-T7eMULBoGOxLzhvwqzVPaP6zQt0fJcsfb3m7xTC5lvUs6NTx_zl60FUJuud8POVrG8IYnEtNaRyAPG4Ippx6A%2Frurl%2F;dcopt=rcl;dc_rfl=3,,https%3A%2F%2Fipcamtalk.com%2Ffind-new%2F8283150%2Fposts$0;xdt=1;crlt=Z*KDFy:1
    I don't have this problem with Mac Chrome. Chrome dev console is clean.

24. actran

@bp2008 Feedback with the new streaming modes in v29. For Jpeg HD, 720p, 1080p, 1440p, the streaming icon in lower right corner looks the same so it's hard for me to quickly tell if I accidently left my browser in Jpeg HD mode or running in 1080p as a for instance.

Could we have different icons (or labels) for different streaming modes?

Thank you.

25. SantiagoDraco

SantiagoDraco Getting the hang of it

@bp2008 have you considered adding CPU temp (assuming BI can capture and present it to the web API) to the UI3 interface? The Server Status info is great and I was thinking this would be another nice addition to have some visibility to potential issues on the BI system if it's running hot.

Thanks!

26. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

@actran change your firefox h264 player to the javascript option in ui3's settings panel. Neither player is ideal but javascript is what you had before. I agree it would be nice if all the default streaming profiles had unique abbreviation labels but I am not creative enough to make them unique without just assigning arbitrary text and colors...

27. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Hot cpus throttle themselves and cause cpu usage percent to rise. It wouldnt be impossible to add if blue iris provided that info but it would take up more vertical space which isnt good.

28. SantiagoDraco

SantiagoDraco Getting the hang of it

Understood. Just thought it would be a nice thing to view since for many folks these systems are likely headless and UI3 becomes the main interface to the system (at least it is for me!).

29. actran

@bp2008 Confirmed. Switching to Javascript option did the trick for Firefox. Thank you.

30. ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot Getting the hang of it

What setting seems to be the best in the base server profile?