Blue Iris UI3

Reaction score
Yep, dunce cap it is.....I never even tried the Jpeg Best Quality setting, only the 3 H.264 streaming options. Going to Jpeg Best Quality made all the difference. Thanks for the help.

markdvsmo

n3wb
Reaction score
A minor problem, but not sure it isn't pointing to something else wrong somewhere...
Both my login screen and the upper left corner of the GUI say "Unnamed" instead of "UI3" as I've seen in some of the screenshots. As near as I can tell that's the only thing wrong; everything else seems to function OK but I'm a newb to both Blue Iris and UIx so I probably haven't tried everything.

PlusPower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, i've been using BI4 and UI2 for quite a while. I found this thread today by coincidence and tried it out immediately.
What a nice surprise! It works really well. Great layout and usability. Thank you so much for your continuous effort.
Unfortunately I have one issue which may have been discussed here before but honestly it's a very long thread to read trough all the way.

My problem is that I have no sound from any camera on UI3 although the speaker controls are active.
I tried different browsers in different machines (Chrome on a tablet and Firefox on a notebook) both show the same effect.
Streaming quality is set to H.264 Streaming 0. On BI4 I tried encoder options AAC and MP3 with no change.
I can listen to the sound the sound on BI4. All cameras are set to "webcast audio". Also camera group settings are set to "webcast audio".

Any ideas what may be going wrong?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Right click the video and choose "Stats for nerds" and see if the audio codec is showing.

PlusPower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Right click the video and choose "Stats for nerds" and see if the audio codec is showing.
Yes, codec and audio bitrate are shown. Sometimes I can hear some crackling noise from my speakers of both tablet and notebook.
2018-03-31 17_21_36-Greenshot.png
The volume control bar is set to about 80%. I can give you access to my server if you would like to to take a look.

Last edited:

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Brian, I am so happy I discovered UI3 in the last few days. I spent hours going through all of the posts and, of course, all of my questions were already answered.
Now I understand why, when I sent Ken requests to update the BI remote web interface, he was never really inclined to do anything.
This is an amazing product you've created and I've shown my appreciation by using the pay Brian Pearce by using the paypal.me link you provided.
I sure hope other people show their appreciation, even a few bucks gets you a draft or a shake or whatever :lol:

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's reminded me to do the same - I've just sent you some beer money too (or whatever your vice is).

Thanks again bp2008 :)

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Yes, codec and audio bitrate are shown. Sometimes I can hear some crackling noise from my speakers of both tablet and notebook.
The volume control bar is set to about 80%. I can give you access to my server if you would like to to take a look.
That looks perfectly normal, and audio should be playing fine.

1) Are you sure your speaker/headphone volume is up high enough?
2) Does it sound different if you listen directly through the Blue Iris local console?
3) If you have either of the official mobile apps (iOS or Android), are they any different than UI3 regarding audio?

Feel free to private message me some temporary login info with access to at least one camera that should have something audible (road traffic?), and I'll see if I can learn anything from that.

I don't know what cameras you have but with my Dahua starlights for example I won't hear much of anything if their noise filter is on.

PlusPower

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1) Are you sure your speaker/headphone volume is up high enough?
2) Does it sound different if you listen directly through the Blue Iris local console?
3) If you have either of the official mobile apps (iOS or Android), are they any different than UI3 regarding audio?
1) Sure. I have the same effect on two different machines. On both systems an intermittent (seldom) loud crackling noise can be heard.
2) I can hear all of the microphone's input on the local console
3) I have never tried the mobile apps

I will send you PM with login data.

Reaction score
Just as a general comment, I would like to say that the UI3 has been rock solid for me. I develop different kinds of web applications, and I will say that the interface you have created is fabulous! I have run this full-time on a laptop with firefox on a linux OS. The web player has continued to stream continuously for over a month! It even automatically continued after I rebooted the Blue Iris server. This is quite the feat, especially considering that you also support giggle chromium too.
If I was going to make one suggestion, it would be that the schedule selector be more distinct from the camera group selector. I imagine some people change schedules (I only ever use 1), but I like to change camera groups from time to time, and I get distracted visually by which button is the one that I want.
Regardless, I intend to send you a paypal tip. I hope you've enjoyed the work, because I doubt we can all contribute an amount that's equal to all the effort that you've put into it!
:)
Thanks!
Matthew

Jeff R

n3wb
Reaction score
I love UI3 ! Just found a minor 'flaw' if you will. when you right click on an image and choose to 'copy link to image' and paste it in a browser address line, its' missing the leading '/' so you have to add that in.

bruski

n3wb
Reaction score
Amazing UI. It's the interface the native BI web should have. If you could just improve the image quality on PTZ operations, i.e. get rid of the blockiness and refocus issues, this would be the killer BI interface. Really, I like it better than both the native Windows app and the mobile app.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the kind words. By the way in case anyone else is having a choppy audio playback issue, @PlusPower figured out that it was solved by installing the K-Lite codec pack. I recommend getting the codec pack from Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once since that will avoid the adware which is usually bundled with it.

If I was going to make one suggestion, it would be that the schedule selector be more distinct from the camera group selector. I imagine some people change schedules (I only ever use 1), but I like to change camera groups from time to time, and I get distracted visually by which button is the one that I want.
Hmm, well in your case you could disable and/or collapse the Schedule dropdown to it doesn't cause any confusion.

Regardless, I intend to send you a paypal tip. I hope you've enjoyed the work, because I doubt we can all contribute an amount that's equal to all the effort that you've put into it!
:)
Thanks!
Matthew
It is appreciated! And yes, I did/do enjoy building UI3.

I love UI3 ! Just found a minor 'flaw' if you will. when you right click on an image and choose to 'copy link to image' and paste it in a browser address line, its' missing the leading '/' so you have to add that in.
But that function was designed to copy a complete, absolute URL. Like this:
Code:
http://192.168.0.166:81/image/Index?time=1522615225819&session=xxxxxxxxxx
What are you getting instead? In which browser and which streaming quality option is selected?

If you could just improve the image quality on PTZ operations, i.e. get rid of the blockiness and refocus issues.
That is out of my control, but not out of yours. You need to increase the bit rate limit of the stream you're viewing.

Code:
You can control the H.264 encoder parameters by configuring the three encoder profiles "Streaming 0", "Streaming 1", and "Streaming 2" in Blue Iris. These profiles are not configurable in UI3 directly. In Blue Iris's console, open [B]Blue Iris Options[/B] > [B]Web server[/B] tab > [B]Advanced[/B]. Here, you can [B]configure [/B]each of the encoder profiles.[/QUOTE]

Also if the encoding preset is currently set to "ultrafast", try "superfast" instead because that includes a deblocking filter that makes the image look significantly less blocky.

Of course if you're actually having focus issues, like autofocus in the PTZ, then there really is nothing to be done about that besides buying a better PTZ camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, okay, I found the problem. Inadvertently caused by moving the ui3.htm page out of a subdirectory and to the www root ;)

I'll fix that and upload a new version.