Blue Iris UI3

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just want to say I have really enjoyed the flexibility UI3 has given me of quickly and easily sharing a cam or several with a friend or family member.
I just set up a camera group in BI then passed them the Ui3 URL and guest account sign in for that group.
Very handy for me.

orinoco

n3wb
Reaction score
Hopefully this is not a stupid question....I have a 23inch monitor in portrait mode 1080x1920 9:16 I want to display 2 cams with the screen filled as much as possible, I have put these cams in a group, if I view cam 1 in stretches across the entire screen fills approx 1/3 of the screen however when I view 2 cams as in the group the images are centred but very small, I have tried changing the settings for the group from the blue iris server but cannot achieve occupying the width 1080, by my calculations the height should be 604 so I should be able to get the 2 cams on easily, can you advise if what I am trying to achieve is possible and if so, how?

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@orinoco
In UI3 try right-clicking the video and open "Stats for nerds". In there you will find the viewport dimensions. Try those numbers for your group frame size in Blue Iris, then tweak as necessary to reduce the amount of black space between the two cameras.

orinoco

n3wb
Reaction score
@bp2008
Thanks all working a treat now, I had been messing with that but was only entering standard sizes and still in landscape size

sbug

n3wb
Reaction score
I just discovered this forum and this thread. I'm having zero luck with UI3. I've uninstalled Blue Iris and reinstalled with no change. I'm running the latest Blue Iris 4.7.2.4
64 bit edition on an i5 3570k with 16 gigs of memory. With Firefox it immediately gives me an "unexpected error" (see attached). Microsoft Edge let's me login but right
after I get a 404 error. Internet Explorer just gives me a blank white screen after the login. If I login in regularily without specifying ui3.html then I get the plain JPEG
version. I'm running Firefox 59.0.2 64bit with dom.streams and javascript.options.streams enabled. I've tried 4 different browers on 2 different pcs plus Firefox and Chrome
on an Android tablet. So given so many different devices and browsers I suspected the main Blue Iris was at fault but I went and did a fresh installation and used the latest
UI3 in the first post.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello @sbug

First problem, the path is ui3.htm not ui3.html

Second problem, I suspect your firefox extensions are interfering. The line which failed is a line that tries feature detection to find out if localStorage is available.

sbug

n3wb
Reaction score
I just tried ui3.htm and same result. I just disabled all my extensions and same error. That also doesn't explain the 404 with Microsoft Edge or the blank screen with IE 11.
Same error with Chrome on my Android tablet.

Hello @sbug

First problem, the path is ui3.htm not ui3.html

Second problem, I suspect your firefox extensions are interfering. The line which failed is a line that tries feature detection to find out if localStorage is available.

joey52685

n3wb
Reaction score
I just tried ui3.htm and same result. I just disabled all my extensions and same error. That also doesn't explain the 404 with Microsoft Edge or the blank screen with IE 11.
Same error with Chrome on my Android tablet.
Can you verify the files actually copied over correctly? Where are you putting the files?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If I disable cookies in Firefox, I get the same error. One way or another it must have been disabled in your Firefox Options under the Privacy & Security section.

The same setting controls both cookies and local storage. Blue Iris uses a cookie to keep track of your web session (to know that you've authenticated) and UI3 uses local storage for all your settings.

I'll make sure the next UI3 release provides a more helpful error message in this case.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
An update is available in the first post.

UI3 version 8
  • Local storage is no longer a strict requirement to run UI3, but cookies are.
  • Fixed a bug that would have caused H.264 streams to not load when used with some reverse proxy configurations.
  • UI3 is now internally capable of being used as a client for a remote server, but this functionality is not exposed anywhere.
Login version 17
  • Local storage feature detection improved to not throw an exception when the feature is unavailable.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just installed it but now the right click mouse doesn't show the stats for nerds like the previous version did... am I missing a setting that might have reset?

**update** after fooling around with turning off the right context menu and relaunching BI-UI3 it is there now. Odd, because in the previous version I had the right context button checked. Either way, it's working now.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is still there. You are probably getting the browser's default menu for some reason.

The only related setting is Context Menu Compatibility Mode near the bottom of the settings panel. You almost certainly want this disabled.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is still there. You are probably getting the browser's default menu for some reason.
I was. But I updated my last post stating that I turned off right click compatibility and now, for whatever reason, it works.

sbug

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks that was it! Although I have to turn on cookies completely. Providing a website exception doesn't do it. I'll decide if I want Firefox unsecure or use another browser occasionally.

If I disable cookies in Firefox, I get the same error. One way or another it must have been disabled in your Firefox Options under the Privacy & Security section.

The same setting controls both cookies and local storage. Blue Iris uses a cookie to keep track of your web session (to know that you've authenticated) and UI3 uses local storage for all your settings.

I'll make sure the next UI3 release provides a more helpful error message in this case.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks that was it! Although I have to turn on cookies completely. Providing a website exception doesn't do it. I'll decide if I want Firefox unsecure or use another browser occasionally.
Making an "allow" exception definitely works for me. Make sure you included the port number in the URL you made an exception for. Refresh the web page after.

It is not unsecure to have cookies enabled for all sites anyway. I'm not sure where you got the notion that it was.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also for what its worth, yesterday I tried making UI3 work without cookies enabled but it totally messes up the session management and the workarounds had unacceptable side-effects like forcing you to log in twice, or making all the script/css/graphics unable to be cached. All this to be able to use UI3 without persistent user settings... so I scrapped that idea.