Blue Iris UI3

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"If you're already streaming H.264 in UI3 then it is a safe bet that you are getting the maximum frame rate supported by the source, and the default frame rate limit for groups is only 5 FPS! In this case, UI2 often exceeds 5 FPS only by loading duplicate copies of some of the frames. Jpeg streaming mode doesn't know any better.

You can increase the frame rate limit for group streams here:"

I have increased the FPS but still getting 5 to 6 fps in UI3 vs 8 to 9 FPS on UI2 ... maybe it is just the indicator which is not accurate in UI2?

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So from what I understand, in my case. UI2 is just loading duplicate frames resulting in "higher" framerate?

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"Try the fullscreen button in the lower right, or the startup parameter "maximize=1" as noted in the help file: UI3 Help"

Full screen is nice but would rather have a collapsible sidebar menu; would be more practical imo but for now full screen will do. Thx

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So from what I understand, in my case. UI2 is just loading duplicate frames resulting in "higher" framerate?
Yes, that is one possibility. You might not have increased the frame rate limit for the correct group if UI3 is still limited to 5 FPS.

"Try the fullscreen button in the lower right, or the startup parameter "maximize=1" as noted in the help file: UI3 Help"

Full screen is nice but would rather have a collapsible sidebar menu; would be more practical imo but for now full screen will do. Thx
There's also a hotkey for hiding the side and top bars together, CTRL + tilde by default. But if you're on a mobile device you probably don't have a keyboard ;)

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, that is one possibility. You might not have increased the frame rate limit for the correct group if UI3 is still limited to 5 FPS.
lol u were right; I modified the wrong group! It is good now. My bad. Thx man
Any idea why the default was 5 FPS in the first place? I have increased it to 15fps .. does it have some performance impact whatsoever.. I might increase to 30fps

There's also a hotkey for hiding the side and top bars together, CTRL + tilde by default. But if you're on a mobile device you probably don't have a keyboard ;)
lol yup. is UI3 on github?

yeahman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
group FPS is good now... is there a way to increase FPS per camera also?
I found nothing in the webcast tab in camera settings

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
lol u were right; I modified the wrong group! It is good now. My bad. Thx man
Any idea why the default was 5 FPS in the first place? I have increased it to 15fps .. does it have some performance impact whatsoever.. I might increase to 30fps

lol yup. is UI3 on github?
5 FPS is an old default value and I agree it is outdated. I've asked the developer if he will change it. There is a small performance impact only when you are live streaming a camera group, so the tradeoff is almost always worth it.

group FPS is good now... is there a way to increase FPS per camera also?
I found nothing in the webcast tab in camera settings
To increase FPS for individual cameras you need to open the camera's web interface in a browser and do it there. Blue Iris can't control the frame rate a camera sends to it.

Be careful that you don't overload the CPU on your BI server by increasing frame rates too far. 15 FPS is generally considered the best balance between smoothness and efficiency.

jackyaz

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm probably missing something, but options in UI3 such as toggle recording and restart camera are greyed out. Have I missed a setting?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Those options are only grayed out if you right-clicked on a black area. Right click on video and they won't be grayed out.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe you are viewing an auto-cycle stream? UI3 doesn't know what is being shown during an auto cycle so it won't enable those items at all.

cgtrott

n3wb
Reaction score
i am having the same issue where options in UI3 such as toggle recording and restart camera are greyed out. i am not right clicking on a black area and it is not cycling cameras as there is only on camera

jackyaz

n3wb
Reaction score
i am having the same issue where options in UI3 such as toggle recording and restart camera are greyed out. i am not right clicking on a black area and it is not cycling cameras as there is only on camera
Just one camera here, and ive turned off anything referencing cycling, no difference :(

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
bp2008/ui3
To install releases from github, download the release zip and extract it to Blue Iris 4/www, overwriting all files.

Version 49
  • Camera-specific context menu items are now correctly enabled for single-camera groups.
  • Added Camera Labels setting "Show when only one camera visible" and made it compatible with single-camera groups.

cgtrott

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008/ui3
To install releases from github, download the release zip and extract it to Blue Iris 4/www, overwriting all files.

Version 49
  • Camera-specific context menu items are now correctly enabled for single-camera groups.
  • Added Camera Labels setting "Show when only one camera visible" and made it compatible with single-camera groups.
Thanks man, that worked.

jackyaz

n3wb
Reaction score
bp2008/ui3

Version 49
Thank you from me as well - an impressive trial so far!

skarragallagher

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am getting this setup on my media center and I have it working almost perfectly. I have a question, a bug (maybe) and a feature request.

Question how do clear a value (or make a setting blank) for the Keyboard shortcuts? This leads me to the bug
It seems that you can have different options mapped to the same keyboard shortcut. I moved some of the shortcuts around to suite my needs and it respected both actions... meaning I mapped the left arrow to previous camera and it went to the Previous camera and then panned left. Maybe some logic in that screen that will clear a value if the keyboard shortcut is already being used.
The feature request is the ability to map a keyboard button to toggle audio.