Blue Iris UI3

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yahoo! I finally got UI3 working with sound using a Raspberry Pi 3! Not being very well versed in Linux, it probably took way longer than it should have to figure it out. What doesn't help is when your web searches always seem to end up with someone's advice being to try installing a ton of stuff to make it work (and it never seems to work *for me*). It was the H264 hurdle that took all the time, and the fix was so very simple. Don't listen to the sellers as they all seem sold on plain Debian, just install Raspbian (which is Debian optimized for the PI), and you're golden! The stock browser works great, nothing else needed. Very nice having it hooked up to an old 18" LCD TV that wasn't doing anything except sitting it my garage. :p
You described me when I try to troubleshoot. :) What did you purchase to make all that work? I was thinking about getting rid of one of my windows 10 sticks for a Pi.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
You described me when I try to troubleshoot. :) What did you purchase to make all that work? I was thinking about getting rid of one of my windows 10 sticks for a Pi.
I bought this for my 3D Printer last September, but decided I liked using the printer's interface better, so it's been sitting waiting for a use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6Q2GSY

Aside from that? A keyboard, mouse, and monitor with HD port. I just went out and looked. That's it...

Needed OS is here:
Download Raspbian for Raspberry Pi

and I used Etcher to put it on the MicroSD card:
balenaEtcher - Home

DON'T waste your time with the OS on the included MicroSD card. Just put Raspbian on it and it's all good.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought this for my 3D Printer last September, but decided I liked using the printer's interface better, so it's been sitting waiting for a use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6Q2GSY

Aside from that? A keyboard, mouse, and monitor with HD port. I just went out and looked. That's it...

Needed OS is here:
Download Raspbian for Raspberry Pi

and I used Etcher to put it on the MicroSD card:
balenaEtcher - Home

DON'T waste your time with the OS on the included MicroSD card. Just put Raspbian on it and it's all good.
Oh nice. I have that same one in my amazon cart already. I have that software downloaded as I heard it was more user friendly. And I used balenaEtcher to load sophos on USB before and it was fairly easy. I feel a bit confident in this and maybe that is a good sign. Thanks for your links and time.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Oh nice. I have that same one in my amazon cart already. I have that software downloaded as I heard it was more user friendly. And I used balenaEtcher to load sophos on USB before and it was fairly easy. I feel a bit confident in this and maybe that is a good sign. Thanks for your links and time.
Any time. I doubt you'll need any help, as this is pretty straight forward. But if you do, please feel free to say something!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Good choice. I forgot there was a + version of the pi 3. I was reading the other day there isn't likely to be a new faster pi for quite a while because they need to use a more advanced manufacturing process to get really any better. Pi is built with a 40nm process that is rather aged now, for reasons of the low level I/O it uses, apparently they can't just stick a more modern CPU in it without a lot of work.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good choice. I forgot there was a + version of the pi 3. I was reading the other day there isn't likely to be a new faster pi for quite a while because they need to use a more advanced manufacturing process to get really any better. Pi is built with a 40nm process that is rather aged now, for reasons of the low level I/O it uses, apparently they can't just stick a more modern CPU in it without a lot of work.
Yes it seems like a better choice.

I might look into installing openvpn in mine:
PiVPN: Simplest setup of OpenVPN

I am wondering is it a good idea to also install pihole? That seems to more have ads removed and works with pivpn but not necessary if I read this correctly:
Pi-hole®: A black hole for Internet advertisements

I just want to say thanks for all the great products you put out there and your attention to replies. It is appreciated. I have a question.. Is there a limit of how many systems can be running UI3 at the same time? Will it cause any issues?

And with pi3 does UI3 work ok with it or do you suggest what you created here:
bp2008/OmxPlayerAuto

Thank you

cagenuts

n3wb
Reaction score
And with pi3 does UI3 work ok with it or do you suggest what you created here:
bp2008/OmxPlayerAuto
UI3 works like a bomb on my Pi3s. I have four running like this and sometimes I think the wireless is lagging so I'm going to run some Ethernet cables. Bog standard Raspbian with the stock browser. You just have to to install the xscreensaver (and then disable) it to stop the video going to sleep.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
UI3 works like a bomb on my Pi3s. I have four running like this and sometimes I think the wireless is lagging so I'm going to run some Ethernet cables. Bog standard Raspbian with the stock browser. You just have to to install the xscreensaver (and then disable) it to stop the video going to sleep.
Great info. Thanks for sharing. You can run 4 at the same time without any video issues?

Can you just use chromium that is default with Raspbian?

cagenuts

n3wb
Reaction score
I have four Pi3s each with their own monitor scattered around the house. I just use Chromium that is preloaded. I initially tried with a Pi Zero but the little Wireless chip just couldn't handle more than one camera.

lb88

n3wb
Reaction score
Latest blue iris 5.0.0.50 ui3 is glitching out after login tried locally and remotely. I ended up copying the UI3-77 files from github to the www folder which i believe are supposed to be the same files for the 5.0.0.50 release, regardless it fixed the issue.

R4nger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Latest blue iris 5.0.0.50 ui3 is glitching out after login tried locally and remotely. I ended up copying the UI3-77 files from github to the www folder which i believe are supposed to be the same files for the 5.0.0.50 release, regardless it fixed the issue.

This has happened to me also.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
BI 5.0.0.50 isn't installing UI3 correctly. It in fact deletes the ui3 subfolder outright, which is a big deal for anyone who may have installed a local-overrides file since it would be gone after updating!

bigcheze

n3wb
Reaction score

I ran into this as well and the github fix also resolved it for me.
For those unfamiliar with git hub and where to look, to save you some time figuring things out,
1) The UI3-77 files can be downloaded from https://github.com/bp2008/ui3/releases/download/77/UI3-77.zip
2) Extract the zip file to a directory and rename the directory to www.
3) Browse to C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5
4) Rename the www folder to www.old
5) Copy the www folder with the new files into the Blue Iris 5 directory

You should now be able to access the web interface again.
If everything is working you can also delete the www.old folder.

social26

n3wb
Reaction score

The same problem here after upgraded to .50 also downloaded UI3-77 and unzipped it to another folder then pointed the www root to it, reboot it fixed it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I would not recommend installing UI3 outside of the www folder and pointing the web server at it. Best to install in the default place.

social26

n3wb
Reaction score
Just found .51 is available, it might fix the UI3 problem, will try to point www back to default place after .51

ps: No, UI3 still broken in .51

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have four Pi3s each with their own monitor scattered around the house. I just use Chromium that is preloaded. I initially tried with a Pi Zero but the little Wireless chip just couldn't handle more than one camera.
Thanks. Very easy to setup xscreensaver and have IU3 up and running on pi3 b+. It is much better than w10 stick.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found .51 is available, it might fix the UI3 problem, will try to point www back to default place after .51

ps: No, UI3 still broken in .51
Not broken for me in .51

If you changed your web server path after you installed the update, then BI probably installed UI3 to your alternate location.