Blue Iris UI3

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Timelapse requires:
  • Audio off
  • Re-encode on
Ah, of course. I failed to uncheck the audio. I remember this when doing it in the console. Same limitation. You'd think that it would automatically toggle one or the other. Time-lapse would simply untick the audio, or audio would untick the time-lapse. Or, I could just take some ginsing and improve my memory!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh, yeah, I will admit I thought Timelapse was broken and disabled in the console for a lot of months due to the same thing.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried searching to see if I could find answer, but couldn't find one. On my iPad with UI3, I usually show all four cams. I decided to try "All cameras cycle", which works and centered however the size of the cam is the same size as if there were four cams showing. I looked thru the menu settings with no joy. Is there any option that I'm missing to fill up the cam area?
Thx.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried searching to see if I could find answer, but couldn't find one. On my iPad with UI3, I usually show all four cams. I decided to try "All cameras cycle", which works and centered however the size of the cam is the same size as if there were four cams showing. I looked thru the menu settings with no joy. Is there any option that I'm missing to fill up the cam area?
Thx.
Nope. UI3 has minimal control over auto-cycle streams, and I have long-since given up on asking the Blue Iris dev to fix issues with them.

When streaming H.264, the resolution is set in stone at the start of the stream. It can not change dynamically during an auto-cycle stream.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When streaming Jpeg HD, the resolution does adjust dynamically, however Jpeg streaming of these auto cycles has other issues. So really there is no perfect solution.

Slate2000

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@bp2008 Would it be possible to add the camera's IP address to either the "Stats for Nerds" window or "Properties" window? That would be very helpful.

Thanks
Johnny

lleone

n3wb
Reaction score
Having in mind that UI Settings are stored in local browser, and there are one setting set for each conection, I´d like to know were are they located in order to replicate the same settings in several pcs and for all the blue iris servers

Regards, Luis

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Settings are in the browser's "Local Storage". You can view this via Chrome developer tools > Application tab. Although this won't let you export and import except by the most tedious manual means.

UI3 does have a mechanism for you do download your current settings to a file and you can put it in a certain place to make your settings into the new defaults for everybody using your BI server. See the Quick Start section here.

Lucasl2a

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi BP2008,
I was just wondering, is there a way to add a logo in the left toolbar easily ?
Thanks,
Lucas

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I just noticed this while unprotecting some of my old alerts...

When I have 'Auto-protect flagged items' checked in the Settings > Clips and Archiving tab...
auto-protect setting.png

UI3 displays shows only the 'flag' icon for the resulting flagged + protected alerts,
UI3 alert flag+lock #1.png

However the context menu shows both 'Unflag' and 'Unprotect' options, implying that the alert is indeed protected (verified by Blue Iris).
UI3 alert flag+lock #2.png

If I toggle both options via the context menu, then both the flag and protect icons display.
UI3 alert flag+lock #4.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When you toggle flag or protect state, UI3 doesn't refresh the clip data from the server, therefore it does not immediately learn that the clip became protected. If you were to reload the Alerts or Clips tab, then you should see all the appropriate icons appear.

You do raise an interesting point though, the context menu seems to know that the clip got protected. But the icon didn't appear. Curious.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I see, it is because UI3 updates the list in the background (to add new items on the top). It also refreshes the state of the topmost item, but it does not re-render the HTML for the icons, so they become out-of-sync in this particular case.

I'm not sure this is worth fixing as it only affects the topmost item.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I've also noticed the following and have emailed Ken about it.

Some of my protected alerts inconsistently show the 'lock' icon.
This seems to be dependent on if the alert was flagged by Sentry.

Sentry flagged, Protected but no 'lock' icon
image1.jpg

Not-Sentry flagged, Not protected
image2.png

Same as previous, Protected
image3.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think the sentry icons are overlaying on top of the lock icon. Impossible in UI3, apparently not impossible in local console.

jaydeel

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
it is because UI3 updates the list in the background (to add new items on the top). It also refreshes the state of the topmost item, but it does not re-render the HTML for the icons, so they become out-of-sync in this particular case.
In post #2,474, the last image alert was not the topmost alert, but the icons rendered immediately.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding.

1585075418146.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, @jaydeel. ;)

Anyway, as there is no "event stream" kind of thing for Blue Iris to notify UI3 of changes that UI3 did not make, it is only natural that certain sync issues will occur.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've just released UI3-109 which will likely be delivered in the next Blue Iris patch. You can install version 109 manually from here if you are running Blue Iris 5.2.3.0. (don't update UI3 if you are on an older BI release)

This release adds two new "VBR" (variable bit rate) streaming profiles which I am fairly excited about.

1585346560914.png

These deliver higher resolutions at lower bit rates, compared to the old profiles.

Streaming ProfileMax ResolutionBit Rate Limit
2160p3840 x 21608 Mbps
2160p VBR3840 x 21603 Mbps
1080p1920 x 10802 Mbps
1080p VBR1920 x 10801 Mbps
Even better, in static scenes, the VBR profiles average much lower than their bit rate limits while retaining decent quality.

1585346933972.png

Myself, I've been using VBR profiles similar to these for over a year, but I have always needed to manually configure them in every UI3 instance that I use. I have been hesitant to add these VBR profiles to default UI3 because their unpredictable bandwidth usage makes it harder for newbies to figure out the cause of streaming problems. That isn't a good enough reason anymore. Everyone should be able to benefit from more efficient use of their bandwidth, even if they don't know how to configure a streaming profile.

What makes these profiles special is that they are set to quality 20. All the older profiles inherit their quality setting from "Streaming 0" within Blue Iris's web server config. In most cases this means quality 50 which is so high that the streams are always running up against their bit rate limits, making them effectively "CBR" (constant bit rate). The lower quality setting allows the video bit rate to drop drastically in static scenes, saving you a ton of bandwidth. These profiles also have a longer i-frame interval (GOP) which in the case of UI3 streaming helps to keep the bit rate down.

When bandwidth doesn't matter, I'd recommend just using the old "2160p" non-VBR option. That will deliver the best quality that can be reasonably achieved by Blue Iris.