Blue Iris UI3

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
But the "Alert Bar Color" is just 1 color, right? There is currently no way to tell if an alert is from cam1, cam2, etc..., right?

P.S. I'll email BI support about my enhancement request.
@actran UI3-247 is included in Blue Iris 5.7.7.11 today and has alert thumbnails in the timeline. The default configuration works about like it does in Blue Iris's local console with the thumbnails only appearing at high zoom levels with a single camera selected, but this is all configurable in UI Settings > Timeline.

Any feedback would be appreciated. The only planned change I have for this is to make it so clicking on a thumbnail causes you to seek to the start of the alert, because I think that would be a lot more useful than the current behavior which is to seek to the exact spot you clicked which is typically past the end of the alert.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 I just tried it. Real cool. Thank you for the follow-up. Timeline experience keeps getting better with your innovation.

Do you have any thoughts about thumbnails in Timeline group view? I know it would be a challenge if there are multiple thumbnails occurring around a given timestamp.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I keep group view thumbnails on for myself, but the default is off because that is the local console's pre-existing behavior and the thumbnails do obscure the color bars a lot, which can be particularly meaningful when you record only on motion detection. On a constant recording system I think I'd want thumbnails to be always enabled to be honest.

The new timeline settings are these (in this pic I have changed the bottom setting from the default):

1686676840752.png

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 My bad, thanks for pointing out the above group thumbnail option.

I agree, I prefer thumbnails on group view.

BTW, when thumbnails overlap one another, does it make sense to dynamically "pop-up" the desired thumbnail when you hover your mouse over it (especially if the thumbnail is partially covered by another.) ...so you have a better sense of the event before you click on it.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 My bad, thanks for pointing out the above group thumbnail option.

I agree, I prefer thumbnails on group view.

BTW, when thumbnails overlap one another, does it make sense to dynamically "pop-up" the desired thumbnail when you hover your mouse over it (especially if the thumbnail is partially covered by another.) ...so you have a better sense of the event before you click on it.
I like that. I'll make it happen.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Version 248
  • Mousing over a timeline alert thumbnail will cause it to be highlighted and drawn on top of other thumbnails.
  • Clicking a timeline alert thumbnail will cause the timeline to seek to the start of the alert. This behavior can be disabled in UI Settings > Timeline.
  • Misc minor bugfixes related to the timeline.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Version 248
  • Mousing over a timeline alert thumbnail will cause it to be highlighted and drawn on top of other thumbnails.
  • Clicking a timeline alert thumbnail will cause the timeline to seek to the start of the alert. This behavior can be disabled in UI Settings > Timeline.
  • Misc minor bugfixes related to the timeline.
What if you have multiple cameras with alerts at same timestamp? Which thumbnail do you display?

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 Not urgent. On UI3 version 249, Blue Iris version: 5.7.7.15

I use your up/down hotkeys regularly to quickly jump between alerts:
hotkeys.png

But I noticed these hotkeys also jump to the top of every hour, even when there is no event. Screenshot:
timeline.png
I suspect this is related to my BI5 config to combine/cut each recording for every 1hr.

Enhancement request: Provide a UI3 option so that up/down hotkeys in timeline tab will only jump to events and not to the beginning of a clip.

Why? I usually have very few or 0 events during midnight to 6AM so the up/down hotkeys are not as useful when it is stopping at the top of every hour.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@bp2008 Not urgent. On UI3 version 249, Blue Iris version: 5.7.7.15

I use your up/down hotkeys regularly to quickly jump between alerts:
View attachment 166273

But I noticed these hotkeys also jump to the top of every hour, even when there is no event. Screenshot:
View attachment 166274
I suspect this is related to my BI5 config to combine/cut each recording for every 1hr.

Enhancement request: Provide a UI3 option so that up/down hotkeys in timeline tab will only jump to events and not to the beginning of a clip.

Why? I usually have very few or 0 events during midnight to 6AM so the up/down hotkeys are not as useful when it is stopping at the top of every hour.
You are correct, that function does not just jump to alerts, it also will jump to the start of clips. Unfortunately the implementation is out of my hands. UI3 just instructs Blue Iris to "jump" forward or back from the current timestamp, and it is entirely up to Blue Iris to decide where exactly that should jump to.

Interestingly, the Blue Iris local console's buttons for "Previous item" and "Next item" (1687810576149.png and 1687810580665.png) appear to already have the behavior you desire. Ken likes it when behaviors are consistent between UI3 and the local console, therefore I think you're pretty likely to be successful if you ask Blue Iris support to consider changing the timeline "&jump=" argument behave the same as those buttons so that UI3's behavior will match the local console.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, heh, it turns out Blue Iris local console's buttons for "Previous item" and "Next item" are context-sensitive. If in Blue Iris's local console you are viewing "Alerts" then it behaves as I described above. If you are viewing "All clips", then it jumps to clip beginnings.

Therefore probably the best approach here is for Blue Iris to add an additional URL parameter for UI3 to use along with "&jump=" that specifies the desired behavior of the jump (perhaps a database view name, I'm not sure what would make sense to Ken). Be sure to mention that if you contact Blue Iris support about this.

I personally don't care how this function behaves, so I am not very motivated to push this feature along with Ken.

persten

n3wb
Reaction score
today and has alert thumbnails in the timeline. The default configuration works about like it does in Blue Iris's local console with the thumbnails only appearing at high zoom levels with a single camera selected, but this is all configurable in UI Settings > Timeline.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
HI, please consider an alternative way to display thumbnails. let them not appear all together, it is better to let them appear one at a time when hovering over a specific alert. Then you can left click on the pop-up icon to move the clip to the beginning of the event. Hover accuracy on the alert stick can be configurable in pixels.

Thank you very much for looking into this improvement!
alert thumbnails.png

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
HI, please consider an alternative way to display thumbnails. let them not appear all together, it is better to let them appear one at a time when hovering over a specific alert. Then you can left click on the pop-up icon to move the clip to the beginning of the event. Hover accuracy on the alert stick can be configurable in pixels.

Thank you very much for looking into this improvement!
View attachment 166604
That is not a bad idea. I will think about it.

The_Penguin

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Are the shrinking scrollbars (not just UI3, other web apps/sites as well) by design, or due to some other factor?
Asking for a 62-year-old friend who uses a laptop with a trackpad and has trouble scrolling through clips for a specific camera without accidentally activating all cameras.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Are the shrinking scrollbars (not just UI3, other web apps/sites as well) by design, or due to some other factor?
Asking for a 62-year-old friend who uses a laptop with a trackpad and has trouble scrolling through clips for a specific camera without accidentally activating all cameras.
Scroll bars self adapt to page length/width. He may want to get a mouse to make navigation easier. Trackpads are horrible when you have to click and drag.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Along similar lines (and you may already know this), you can change Win 10 & 11 to not hide the scroll bars when the mouse cursor is not near or over it; this helps me a lot. :cool: