Blue Iris UI3

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Am I just having a brain fart here? My wife told me that when she selects a single camera in UI3, it no longer stretches to fill the whole screen (even though it makes the aspect ratio a little wonky, she prefers it in full screen). I'm thinking that it always used to stretch, but I sure as heck can't remember for sure and don't see a setting to make it do so. Has it never done so or have I inadvertently changed a setting in BI that screwed it up (since I checked other tablets and computers running UI3 and it isn't stretching cams in those either) ? Despite searching, I can't find anything.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bp2008 Thanks. Your GetUserName code works.

Question: If user is not on regex list, any chance the code does not display the dropdown icon at all?
(Currently, icon is always shown but dropdown list is empty for those users not on on regex list)

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where can I find the url parameters documentation for the livestream.htm entry point? I found them for ui3.htm, but they do not seem to work with livestream.htm
I am wanting to be able to start livestream with the following conditions:

1) Specify a group or camera name
2) Have it start without having to press the big Play button that shows up in the middle of the screen

Also, does livestream.htm require a logged in session, or can it work without having to login?

I'm asking about this because I want to put a small tablet by the front door that continually displays a group, and since non-computer types will be using it, I want to keep it as simple as possible, such as not requiring a login.

hikky_b

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Where can I find the url parameters documentation for the livestream.htm entry point? I found them for ui3.htm, but they do not seem to work with livestream.htm

2) Have it start without having to press the big Play button that shows up in the middle of the screen

Also, does livestream.htm require a logged in session, or can it work without having to login?

I'm asking about this because I want to put a small tablet by the front door that continually displays a group, and since non-computer types will be using it, I want to keep it as simple as possible, such as not requiring a login.
why are you trying to use livestream.htm?

I use ui3 with url parameters to display groups on various devices.

You can change the authentication settings in your BI console to only authenticate non-lan connections.

Something like this would then open a specific group, full screen:

Code:
http://192.168.X.X:81/ui3.htm?group=your_group_name&maximize=1

chaycock

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
why are you trying to use livestream.htm?

I use ui3 with url parameters to display groups on various devices.

You can change the authentication settings in your BI console to only authenticate non-lan connections.

Something like this would then open a specific group, full screen:

Code:
http://192.168.X.X:81/ui3.htm?group=your_group_name&maximize=1
I stumbled upon livestream by looking at the webroot, and tried it out in the browser and it seemed to be what I wanted minus my questions.
However, what you have seems to fill the bill, so I will use that.
Thank you for your help!

btw...what is livestream used for since it appears ui3 works as well?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

The documentation for livestream.htm is only within the page source. Here's a copy.

Code:
=========================================================================
Welcome to livestream.htm
Supported URL parameters:
* cam=short     -- Select camera or group with [short] name
* autoplay=0    -- Disables autoplay.
* audio=1       -- Unmute at startup. May cause browser to disable autoplay.
* mode=2        -- Hide video player controls
* mode=3        -- Use browser's standard video player controls
=========================================================================
It has the same login requirements as UI3.

btw...what is livestream used for since it appears ui3 works as well?
If you had a lot of devices viewing the same thing, then livestream.htm should have lower demand on the Blue Iris server's CPU. Other than that, there's not really much benefit and the video delay is a lot higher.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Getting the following error in ui3 when I full screen a specific camera (Live View) from a Samsung Galaxy Tab A8 (SM-X200).

Error: PIPELINE_ERROR_DECODE: MEDIA_ERR_DECODE

Current H.264 player is HTML5. I tried the other options and no success for this specific camera. If I set the streaming quality to 480P it will work.

Tested on my Samsung Galaxy s23 Ultra (SM-S918U) which runs the same version of Android and Google Chrome and I don't face this error on my phone.

Any ideas on if I can resolve this besides setting the streaming quality to 480?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I installed the latest version of UI3 (from v215 to v259) in hopes of resolving my Samsung TV browser issue I'm having with UI3. Not sure what changed over the last couple of years (not my TV). UI3 used to work fine on the TV browser then one day I started seeing flashing error messages like in the following video. I suspect that maybe in started after I upgraded from BI 4 to Bi 5 and along with BI 5 the UI3 updated. Just a guess.

Anyhow, I was fooling around with the browser with UI3 v215 and reset it then started getting "indexOf" errors so I upgraded to v259 and still got the errors. Anyone have any idea of what the "indexOf" complaint is? Any setting within UI3 that I can play with to fix this? I understand that UI3 works best with Chrome but I'm stuck with the Samsung browser and didn't want to buy a Firestick just for UI3. Like I said....UI3 used to work fine. I know there are other members on here using the Samsung browser on their smart TVs but maybe they have a newer version but unfortunately my 3 year old TV will not allow me to update to a newer version if one exists.

1701279925156.png

1701279958920.png

1701280037357.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Sybertiger Wow, TV browsers do some weird stuff. Which is not really surprising because they are usually based on very old forks of chromium and are buggy and not kept up to date. It is a small miracle they work at all.

Based on the video with the rapid errors you showed, I've made a tweak to audio context diposal that should (in theory) prevent that issue from happening again.

The indexOf error message includes a line number which indicates the true problem is the HTML5 video element raised an error event, but did not provide the error message in the field that is defined in the HTML5 spec. So when UI3 tried to use the string function indexOf on the error message, it failed because the error message string doesn't exist. Well now UI3 will substitute in a placeholder error message [player.error.message unavailable] in this case so it won't crash in the same way. But you will still likely get a failure, we just won't know why it failed. You probably need to try changing UI3's H.264 player to the JavaScript player in order to completely bypass the broken component. If it lags, then limit the streaming quality to a low resolution to compensate for the inefficiency of the JavaScript player.

As for the last screenshot showing the URL, that is also strange because it should not be showing the text & in the address bar. That should just be & but for some reason the text got HTML-encoded by the web browser. Probably just another weird browser bug. Hopefully a benign one.

The changes are in UI3-260. Please try and see if you get better results.

ALSO, if you're using the "direct to wire" streaming function, turn that off. It could cause compatibility issues especially with weird devices like a TV. But it wouldn't affect a group stream showing multiple cameras, so I'm not sure it is related here.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
@bp2008 Thank you, I do appreciate the patch! I am up and running again on the Samsung TV. :)

Yes, I did need to change the H.264 player to Java and I did need to lower the resolution to 2MP as 4MP was a slightly laggy. I don't have direct-to-wire as my BI 5 is version 5.5.7.11 (still using DeepStack) which is right before direct-to-wire was added.

EyeOfSauron

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bp2008 is there any possibility of making UI3 working with reverse proxy authentication?

I have a reverse proxy that sits in front of my apps and it forwards unauthenticated requests to an authentication server, and then redirects back the request to the app with a number of headers, including the username, email, user's groups, etc. The goal here is SSO for all apps.

I already enabled basic auth in Blue Iris, but when I enable proxy auth in front of UI3, I still get the Basic Auth prompt.

Just curious how much of this is controlled/influenced by UI3, or whether we're at the mercy of BI to implement?

edit: I see this was asked here already. Seems auth is server side from BI and they would have to implement the option to "trust" the header sent from the proxy.

edit2: Looking through some github issues for the Home Assistant integration, I got it to work. There is a seemingly unrelated option that makes the proxy auth work!

Simply check this under the Web Server options (and of course have your reverse proxy configured properly).

1701874817684.png
edit3: Ehh, seems like I got ahead of myself and there was some session caching going on despite logging off. I still get the basic auth prompt from BI after logging in via the proxy. I contacted support and will share any knowledge I might gain from that.

Last edited:

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@bp2008 Thank you, I do appreciate the patch! I am up and running again on the Samsung TV. :)

Yes, I did need to change the H.264 player to Java and I did need to lower the resolution to 2MP as 4MP was a slightly laggy. I don't have direct-to-wire as my BI 5 is version 5.5.7.11 (still using DeepStack) which is right before direct-to-wire was added.
I'm trying to do the same with my (also older) Samsung TV... using the UI3 v 260, it starts to load UI3 but stalls "loading h264". I can't select the settings or options to change to Java or change the res... those options are grayed out as it is still trying to load H264. Did you see that and find a way to fix that? BI v 5.8.0.16, no direct to wire enabled... Thanks...

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm trying to do the same with my (also older) Samsung TV... using the UI3 v 260, it starts to load UI3 but stalls "loading h264". I can't select the settings or options to change to Java or change the res... those options are grayed out as it is still trying to load H264. Did you see that and find a way to fix that? BI v 5.8.0.16, no direct to wire enabled... Thanks...
Did you install the updated UI3 version 260 into your Blue Iris directory yet?

1701881634602.png

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
With UI3 open in the Samsung browser on your TV you should be able to go into the setting of UI3 to change the H.264 player to Java. For me it was a little tedious trying to get into the settings since I had all these flashing red error messages but with patience and quick clicking I was able to get in and change the player.