Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have noticed that Update Helper is no longer updating my BI. I noticed this a couple of weeks ago and reinstalled from 1.6.3.1 to 1.6.4.0 and manually updated BI to 4.8.5.3.

I have had daily registry backups but the program did not catch any program updates, I see BI is up to 4.8.6.1 now.

I am running both BI and Update Helper as a service and checked that both were running, yesterday I left BI in console mode but it made no difference, still didn't update.

@bp2008 Any suggestions what to look for?

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@bob2701
BiUpdateHelper doesn't update Blue Iris. It just maintains an archive of update files after BI is done updating from them.
Wow, I could have swore that it triggered the update and then renamed for archive, my bad!! Then I guess everything is working great. :smash:

Edit:
I just double checked and realized it was BI was doing the update (box checked), but since my support level has expired it no longer does the automatic update. Still allows me to manually update.

Last edited:

cwag17

n3wb
Reaction score
I seem to be having a issue with BiUpdateHelper not backing up the update files. I download the update (update64.exe) from BI's website and run it, but the registry doesn't backup nor does the exe file get renamed and moved to the BI directory. I have installed and started the service and have checked the BiUpdateHelper_Log and nothing is listed in there.

What am I missing? Running 1.6.4.0

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The update file must be run from the BI directory in order for the update helper to know it is a BI update and not just something else with a similar name.

DigitalPackrat

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I started playing with virtualizing one of my BI installations lately and noticed an area that could be improved in the performance stats. For example, if you look at 2697 for CPU type there are three rigs listed. On an E5-2697 v2 CPU, the 2 indicates dual CPU capable just as the E7-4850 listed is quad CPU capable. This throws the CPU usage off if one rig has 1 CPU and the other two have 2 CPU's.

A similar issue also comes up if a BI installation is virtualized. The BI guest may be on a E5-2697 v2 with 48 threads but only have access to a small number of those threads making CPU usage look higher than it should be on that CPU.

If you are up for the challenge, adding a column for thread count and virtualized or not with a software update to match would help people looking at multi socket systems and/or virtualization.

wepee

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just wondering if ............
Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)
fully compatible with BI v5 ?????

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've changed my BI settings to 'direct to disk' for all my cameras but for some reason in the performance date it shows as false for them all. (I'm on the very latest BI5 .57 )

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Direct to Disk status is still showing correctly for mine. Performance data is collected weekly by BiUpdateHelper unless you click the button to collect more now. So if you just changed the settings, you need to manually collect performance data again to see it refreshed on the website.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi, yes i did do a performance data update. I'll do one again at in about 2 minutes. nick

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I see, still not showing direct-to-disc. Hmm. You are completely sure you have it enabled on all (or any, lol) of those cams?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm. Very interesting. So, all the recording settings including the "Video file format and compression" options like direct to disk, are now unique to your current profile, and the registry location has moved.

This has wide implications beyond just breaking BiUpdateHelper's data collection.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What happened is that all settings in the Camera Properties > Record tab became profile-specific. This includes direct-to-disc. This means all these settings in the Windows Registry have moved, and BiUpdateHelper is still looking in the old spot to read their values.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I see. So it's only changes after upgrading to BI5 that won't show.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just wondering if your going to be doing an update for the changes in BI5. Nick

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Eventually, I intend to. It is trickier now because some important settings that were not profile-dependent in BI4 are in BI5. Such as direct-to-disc.