Blue Iris Update Helper (BiUpdateHelper)

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's great, thanks for the reply.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Eventually, I intend to. It is trickier now because some important settings that were not profile-dependent in BI4 are in BI5. Such as direct-to-disc.
So, it's best to not depend on the current version for Reg backups in V5, I assume.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So, it's best to not depend on the current version for Reg backups in V5, I assume.
Registry backups are still 100% fine, and done far better than Blue Iris's own registry backups in my opinion. Those .reg files are huuuge due to Blue Iris's extremely inefficient encoding of motion zones. My tool compresses 30+ MB reg files down to a couple KB using 7zip.

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When you do an update is their a way that it would be possible to identify a camera in the detailed performance data? I would imagine, like myself, that a lot of us have multiples the same types of cameras so that when looking at the camera data it's hard to identify the settings of an individual camera.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Tinbum Can you think of something to add to the camera data for identification purposes that would still preserve the complete anonymity that there currently is?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BP2008
on the stat page for the CPU usage, can you add the windows version, BI version and the GPU utilization . I like the stats it is a good indicator of what CPU to use, also how well a configuration is compared to others.

I would really like it if it was automatically installed with BI so there was more data points. Maybe with an OPT OUT.

Blue Iris Update Helper

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Tinbum Can you think of something to add to the camera data for identification purposes that would still preserve the complete anonymity that there currently is?
That's the hard part!! Would people object to the camera short name do you think?

Kevin Chen

n3wb
Reaction score
BIUpdateHelper failed to run in Windows Server 2008R2 VM in ESXi 6.7.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: biupdatehelper.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.6.4.2
Problem Signature 03: 5d01913b
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ba1dff4
Problem Signature 07: 1d21
Problem Signature 08: 18
Problem Signature 09: System.NotSupportedException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.272.7
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0bff
Additional Information 2: 0bff8d176610735333c3986b545525d3
Additional Information 3: 8480
Additional Information 4: 8480f19033299c20ce71a55690ac078b

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
heh heh I guess I was a little late replying to some of these!!

That's the hard part!! Would people object to the camera short name do you think?
It would definitely be possible to glean information from camera short names, as with anything the user typed themselves. So I wouldn't include that.

on the stat page for the CPU usage, can you add the windows version, BI version and the GPU utilization . I like the stats it is a good indicator of what CPU to use, also how well a configuration is compared to others.
Windows version and BI version are there if you click a row to see the full record. GPU utilization, that is harder to measure, so I'm not sure. There's more than one relevant part of the GPU to measure too, which is half the trouble. Not everything is likely to be available to measure on all systems with different GPUs and drivers and Windows versions.

I'm too lazy to even update the data collection to read the direct-to-disc flag from the correct profile, so you'll notice for everyone running BI5, it doesn't know if they have direct to disc on or not ;)

I would really like it if it was automatically installed with BI so there was more data points. Maybe with an OPT OUT.
Heh, that would be neat if BI did its own data collection. It could know so many more things, like which cameras are clones of each other, what video codec they use, how many actual frames get decoded per second (limit decoding royally screws with this!) whether hardware acceleration is working or not...

BIUpdateHelper failed to run in Windows Server 2008R2 VM in ESXi 6.7.
That OS is old enough it might not come with .NET framework 4.5. Make sure that is installed.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@bp2008
So I just discovered that helper hasn't been helping. ;)
It's not saving a copy of the update files, nor is it performing a registry backup at update time.
The generating of links to cameras also fail.
I tried uninstalling, and reinstall, but no luck.
I've not changed anything other than BI updates, and maybe a windows update in there some place.

See the attachment.
Thanks.

Attachments

Tinbum

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found the same also the other day. Did a reinstall to a different folder and all was ok. Stats didn't seem to update on web page though.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@looney2ns

Geez, that looks bad. Lots of distinct problems.

I am thinking Blue Iris may have recently changed how it installs updates.

And it looks like BiUpdateHelper's web site might be having trouble.

And your Blue Iris is for some reason rejecting a lot of the login attempts from the helper (it tries to learn camera frame rates via the web server). Very strange, considering the helper literally looks in Blue Iris's user list to choose a user to log in as.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Not an expert, but I think this may be related to the BIT backup function as well. Ken changed the default location of the update.exe file. It used to be in the program files/blue iris, but now it's saved under programdata/blue iris/temp.

It would be nice if the program provided the option to specify the source path.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I updated BiUpdateHelper's web server (Ubuntu VM) a couple days ago and found that its disk was about 100 KB away from full due to old kernels piling up. And now it is failing to back up the database in a loop which is filling up the disk with error logs. Argh.