Blue Iris v.5 first thought/impressions

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If not already in place, perhaps it would be a good idea in the future to have a beta test period where select people get advance copies of the software to shake out the big things like we are seeing now.
This was suppose to happen but .... never happened. Actually, some did get a prerelease literally days before the main release

batch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
i use microsoft av too but even if i add the exclusions it didnt do much. I tried to completely disable all scanning on the machine and its still pegged at 99% cpu. Only if i open the BI5 app it spikes that much

DDN13

n3wb
Reaction score
Installed on 2 systems on June 8th, with no serious issues. One was the import registry entries getting "stuck", fixed by granting me rights. The 2nd thing I've noticed is minor, but annoying - the alert clips list on left will switch from all cams to a single cam occasionally after viewing a live view of that cam. A simple double push of the "Selected Camera Only" button fixes it.

As far as utilization goes things look a little bit better, though I took no benchmarks before upgrading. The BI system I'm at this week uses about 16% CPU and 3.2GB of RAM running 11 cameras. (Guess I can live with that.)

GBJames

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded a few days after v5 became available. It was a smooth upgrade for me and things have been smooth ever since. (running 9 cameras on Win 10)

Meza

n3wb
Reaction score
I am running Server 2012 R2 and I upgraded yesterday with a few issues post upgrade. I was able to work through the bugs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad to hear it works ok on Server 2012 R2, thought BI5 was only Win 10 compatible.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is the first i've heard of it (got the ip cam talk notice about conversations, thats how i got here)
I'd love to test out V5 but im certainly not going to give them money to try out the new product that sounds like its still in Beta stages.
It sounds like all in all it was a fairly messy release with some "just get it out" approach..

How do i go about testing v5 to see if there is any value in an upgrade for me?

Hell the link on their homepage gives me a 404.. (top of main page, "Blue Iris V5!" link is missing a # when redirecting to purchase)

Also i feel like its normal to have comparison page of what V5 has that V4 doesnt, is there anything like that?

Happy to pay for an upgrade, but, with how messy all this looks, im not sure its worth my money/effort..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the first i've heard of it (got the ip cam talk notice about conversations, thats how i got here)
I'd love to test out V5 but im certainly not going to give them money to try out the new product that sounds like its still in Beta stages.
It sounds like all in all it was a fairly messy release with some "just get it out" approach..

How do i go about testing v5 to see if there is any value in an upgrade for me?

Hell the link on their homepage gives me a 404.. (top of main page, "Blue Iris V5!" link is missing a # when redirecting to purchase)

Also i feel like its normal to have comparison page of what V5 has that V4 doesnt, is there anything like that?

Happy to pay for an upgrade, but, with how messy all this looks, im not sure its worth my money/effort..
No one needs your money. As with every new software versions there are always going to be issues. It's prudent to wait before upgrading. Some people learned their lesson the hard way.
Quite frankly I think you should stick with v4, $30 is a huge sum of money for a software upgrade, particularly since it's very unlikely over the next few years if there's anything you could possibly need in a new version of blue Iris. If I was you I'd look into many of the free VMS available, why pay for something when it's available for right?
I feel like it's normal to go to the blue iris website can actually read the changes for version 5. I feel like that just might be me.

Jim Wilson

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded as soon as I heard about it. It seems OK, I don't know why they moved the alerts tab to the left side. The only thing I can't seem to find is the arrow button that let you cycle through each camera in a group while in maximized view. It was next to the camera layout button on the bottom left. I used that a lot in version 4 and in version 5, I have to click next to the maximized window to go back to the layout view and then click on the camera I'm interested in.

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No one needs your money. As with every new software versions there are always going to be issues. It's prudent to wait before upgrading. Some people learned their lesson the hard way.
Quite frankly I think you should stick with v4, $30 is a huge sum of money for a software upgrade, particularly since it's very unlikely over the next few years if there's anything you could possibly need in a new version of blue Iris. If I was you I'd look into many of the free VMS available, why pay for something when it's available for right?
I feel like it's normal to go to the blue iris website can actually read the changes for version 5. I feel like that just might be me.

I assume there is a heavy level of sarcasm here?
To that end, there are a LOT of people that probably NEED money (regardless if its mine or not) and on top of that, i believe in paying people for their hard work.
However, since i work in devops and have had some pretty decent experience in application releases, i think i can safely say this is below normal expectations for an application release, and dipping in to the "oh my god what were they thinking?", which in turn makes me worry about the quality of the release (which based on this post, seems buggy).

I can actually think of a few things I'd like, and have posted about in the past, so ideally i'd like that list to see if any of my requests were incorporated in to the new version, justifying the purchase for me.

What sort of free VMS are you talking about?

On the topic of changes to version 5, this was the best I could find
Updates - Blue Iris Software

Which does cover it to some extent but it doesnt feel very concise. Also, i suspect this will take some time, but has anyone noticed performance improvements from the newer runtime libraries? That alone could justify the price to me.

Also, $30 isnt the end of the world, but like a responsible adult, i try to do my due diligence to make sure that, regardless of the sum, money is well spent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I assume there is a heavy level of sarcasm here?
To that end, there are a LOT of people that probably NEED money (regardless if its mine or not) and on top of that, i believe in paying people for their hard work.
However, since i work in devops and have had some pretty decent experience in application releases, i think i can safely say this is below normal expectations for an application release, and dipping in to the "oh my god what were they thinking?", which in turn makes me worry about the quality of the release (which based on this post, seems buggy).

I can actually think of a few things I'd like, and have posted about in the past, so ideally i'd like that list to see if any of my requests were incorporated in to the new version, justifying the purchase for me.

What sort of free VMS are you talking about?

On the topic of changes to version 5, this was the best I could find
Updates - Blue Iris Software

Which does cover it to some extent but it doesnt feel very concise. Also, i suspect this will take some time, but has anyone noticed performance improvements from the newer runtime libraries? That alone could justify the price to me.

Also, $30 isnt the end of the world, but like a responsible adult, i try to do my due diligence to make sure that, regardless of the sum, money is well spent.
If they "need" the money they are NOT required to upgrade.
Why is it that folks who claim to working in specialized fields are always the most clueless? You make baseless claims about "below normal" when you have ZERO, and I mean NO statistical data. Why do you feel the need to make up facts?
Anything you post on the forum is not reviewed by the developer, you must email support. Why you would think otherwise with all your "expertise" is beyond me.
Search for free vms - I am not your google.
Same with new features - its listed on the BI site and in threads on this forum. Its DETAILED!!! READ IT!
Based on your experience with V4 do you not there there will be at least 30 dollars of value add over the next few years? if the answer is no, you really need to look at something other than blue iris. There are plenty of options.

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ahh, VMS - Video Management Software

And the last time i looked (over a year ago) there werent a ton of options, in which I believe i narrowed it down to like 3 options and found blueiris to be the best option. Im certainly willing to listen to any suggestions you have. I do recall when I first address this issue i was sorta stuck with Windows as an option, which isnt really the case now. If i recall correctly, it boiled down to Blue Iris, iSpy, Zoneminder.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh, VMS - Video Management Software

And the last time i looked (over a year ago) there werent a ton of options, in which I believe i narrowed it down to like 3 options and found blueiris to be the best option. Im certainly willing to listen to any suggestions you have. I do recall when I first address this issue i was sorta stuck with Windows as an option, which isnt really the case now. If i recall correctly, it boiled down to Blue Iris, iSpy, Zoneminder.
There were a ton of options a year ago. Start searching. Blue iris is not for you.

jrich523

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If they "need" the money they are NOT required to upgrade.
Why is it that folks who claim to working in specialized fields are always the most clueless? You make baseless claims about "below normal" when you have ZERO, and I mean NO statistical data. Why do you feel the need to make up facts?
Anything you post on the forum is not reviewed by the developer, you must email support. Why you would think otherwise with all your "expertise" is beyond me.
Search for free vms - I am not your google.
Same with new features - its listed on the BI site and in threads on this forum. Its DETAILED!!! READ IT!
Based on your experience with V4 do you not there there will be at least 30 dollars of value add over the next few years? if the answer is no, you really need to look at something other than blue iris. There are plenty of options.
what facts? i said based on my experience. If im a doctor who does brain surgery all day, i'd suspect my views would be valued based on experience, and not on a scientific study, not at all the same. Do you need statistical data to feel confident this release is a hot mess? I feel like this thread alone is enough of a "fact" but i dont know, probably not enough pretty charts and numbers here for you. jesus man, are you reading what you write? are you in a fight with someone else? this seems excessively salty.

You're mighty quick to get angry, and in that process you're making things up.

I did check the update list, which is why i was able to point out the issue on the home page. And again, if you read my post, rather than just assuming what i wrote i asked about a COMPARISON page, which it does not have. It has a weird feature list which at a high level covers some of the changes, but feels more like a list of neat/important changes vs like a change log. If there is a post here, its not obvious. As I stated I got to this thread by the forum email notice of activity. I even stopped to take a quick look at the top/pinned threads and still found this to be the best place to reach out.

Also, on the topic of "clueless", you do understand how Google works right? I would suspect, if you're as smart as you think you are, you'd understand that if i type "vms" in to google, im going to get something to do with Virtual Machines simply due to the field i work in.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what facts? i said based on my experience. If im a doctor who does brain surgery all day, i'd suspect my views would be valued based on experience, and not on a scientific study, not at all the same. Do you need statistical data to feel confident this release is a hot mess? I feel like this thread alone is enough of a "fact" but i dont know, probably not enough pretty charts and numbers here for you. jesus man, are you reading what you write? are you in a fight with someone else? this seems excessively salty.

You're mighty quick to get angry, and in that process you're making things up.

I did check the update list, which is why i was able to point out the issue on the home page. And again, if you read my post, rather than just assuming what i wrote i asked about a COMPARISON page, which it does not have. It has a weird feature list which at a high level covers some of the changes, but feels more like a list of neat/important changes vs like a change log. If there is a post here, its not obvious. As I stated I got to this thread by the forum email notice of activity. I even stopped to take a quick look at the top/pinned threads and still found this to be the best place to reach out.

Also, on the topic of "clueless", you do understand how Google works right? I would suspect, if you're as smart as you think you are, you'd understand that if i type "vms" in to google, im going to get something to do with Virtual Machines simply due to the field i work in.
Your reading comprehension is bad. This thread? You do understand that people post on forums when hey have issues. How many copies of BI have been installed? how many of those users have had issues? thats right you have no damn clue!
I hate liars and my posts will reflect that. I hate passive aggressive posts such as yours even more. If you are seeking an internet safe space you have come to the wrong forum. Think a bit before you post. You obviously did not read the BI 5 overview. The "update list" is mostly BI4. See, this is what happens when folks like you are too lazy to read.
You are on a camera forum, the context alone should tell you or make it easy to find via google. See what I mean when I say you dont think? Search camera vms.