Blue Iris version 5

TheG8One

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Everything has been working fine for me so far...

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I upgraded to 5 but none of my motion zone selections carried over. I spent hours setting that all up in 4 and tweaking for it not to carry over makes 5 unusable for me. I also noticed it automatically selected motion triggering and other cameras were getting all these false alerts and triggering my other cameras. Anyone else experience this. I tried restoring the registry file that was saved from BI 4 to 5 and it locked up 5 and messed up my whole PC. I had to do a clean format and put 4 back on.

tankdeer

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded to 5 but none of my motion zone selections carried over. I spent hours setting that all up in 4 and tweaking for it not to carry over makes 5 unusable for me. I also noticed it automatically selected motion triggering and other cameras were getting all these false alerts and triggering my other cameras. Anyone else experience this. I tried restoring the registry file that was saved from BI 4 to 5 and it locked up 5 and messed up my whole PC. I had to do a clean format and put 4 back on.
I had a similar issue. After the update, I noticed a bunch of general settings were messed up or missing. I imported from a backup and found like you, that v5 was locked. I found some info online that pointed to some registry keys to delete that got 5 working again, but the import was unsuccessful. What's worse, is that I can't actually change any of the motion settings for any profile that isn't 1. They aren't saved. Most of my cameras have different motion settings at night to accommodate the different lighting conditions, but by default all the cameras have all profiles sync'd with profile 1. Any attempt to change settings in any other profile results in the settings not being changed. So basically my nighttime settings, which are the most important IMO, are completely useless and any attempt to fix them fails. It really seems as though version 5 was release prematurely.

I will email Ken/Perspective but I am not too hopeful as support in the past has been mediocre at best. I've been fighting with an email alert issue for over a month and their support on that has been extremely poor.

DouglasteR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Upgraded without problems, but i didn´t like the alert/video column on the left and i can´t find a way to move it back to the left.

Anybody managed to move it back ?

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Upgraded without problems, but i didn´t like the alert/video column on the left and i can´t find a way to move it back to the left.

Nope, it's currently not possible, but feel free to email support and request that as a feature. :) I'd love the option to have it on the left or the right side.

Last edited:

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score

Well, UI3 is on the left so i think it makes sense to leave it on the left....everyone loves UI3 so why not this ? Of course everyone don't read the same books :)

DouglasteR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nope, it's currently not possible, but feel free to email support and request that as a feature. :) I'd love the option to have it on the left or the right side.
That was my fear. Oh noes.

Well, UI3 is on the left so i think it makes sense to leave it on the left....everyone loves UI3 so why not this ? Of course everyone don't read the same books :)
Sorry i mistyped.

The original alert/videos column was on the RIGHT, but now is hardlocked on the LEFT. :(

I can live with it, but i would prefer it on the RIGHT.

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That was my fear. Oh noes.

Sorry i mistyped.

The original alert/videos column was on the RIGHT, but now is hardlocked on the LEFT. :(

I can live with it, but i would prefer it on the RIGHT.
The latest update to BI 5 (5.0.0.51) lets you switch the list back to the right side of the screen. Just double click the header.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The latest update to BI 5 (5.0.0.51) lets you switch the list back to the right side of the screen. Just double click the header.
This is another great example of an insanely quick response to a feature request. Something like this would take months, if they even considered it, with any other software.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of us (myself included) were asking for it. It may have also helped that I delivered to him a UI3 release that supports putting the side bar on the right or left (controlled through an option in UI Settings > General Settings).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of us (myself included) were asking for it. It may have also helped that I delivered to him a UI3 release that supports putting the side bar on the right or left (controlled through an option in UI Settings > General Settings).
Now I have too many choices. Ill be up all night deciding. Thanks!

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Nice that the option is made, and so quickly. I was so used to seeing the list on the right. Unfortunately, at least for me, when the list is on the right-side the date-picker rolls off the screen when I click on it, perhaps because I have a secondary monitor available but whose input is used for BI only occasionally, as it is a shared monitor.

Update: Tried switching monitors in the settings so that BI's monitor is on the right-side, and the date-picker pop-up still rolls off the screen.

Last edited:

hdcam01

n3wb
Reaction score
Glad to see others have noticed this. I sent this request (as I'm sure others have as well) to support a week ago, got a reply back stating it was being sent to the developer and viola, an in-app popup notified me of this new feature. So glad to see a developer who cares and listens and considers user feedback. This is exactly why I've extended my support for 7 years. BI is a great product with a great dev to be committed to. :)

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
just updated to 5. My CPU jumped to almost 100% fan roaring. I never had any kind of leakage problem on 4, owned for years and several versions. Any discussion on this yet?
Also, have periodic problem of google smtp not attaching images (had it with 4 also, but never fixed); alerts show smtp fail. It worked for long time, then had issues that I wasn't able to fix.

** rebooted and dropped to 65-75, still high but better. I can always tell when the machine is being worked, because the fan gets really loud. Guess I will have to start tweaking with the new settings.

Last edited:

morrisky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just updated to 5. My CPU jumped to almost 100% fan roaring. I never had any kind of leakage problem on 4, owned for years and several versions. Any discussion on this yet?
Also, have periodic problem of google smtp not attaching images (had it with 4 also, but never fixed); alerts show smtp fail. It worked for long time, then had issues that I wasn't able to fix.

** rebooted and dropped to 65-75, still high but better. I can always tell when the machine is being worked, because the fan gets really loud. Guess I will have to start tweaking with the new settings.
Check if hardware acceleration got disabled in the update.

bluecam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Check if hardware acceleration got disabled in the update.
Wow. Direct to disk and intel decoding dropped to 15% !!!
Forgot even setting those originally. Cannot hear fan at all anymore (which is nice, since you don't want your machine screaming, I'm here!).

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone seeing a CPU usage discrepancy between what BI is reporting (at the bottom of the BI window) and the BI process in task manager? On average I'm seeing about a 6 percentage point difference.

My system is reporting @ 22% CPU

BI is reporting @ 15% CPU

aesterling

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anyone seeing a CPU usage discrepancy between what BI is reporting (at the bottom of the BI window) and the BI process in task manager? On average I'm seeing about a 6 percentage point difference.

My system is reporting @ 22% CPU

BI is reporting @ 15% CPU
The BI help PDF talks about this on page 137:

"The CPU usage factor can be used to adjust the way in which Blue Iris displays the CPU
utilization in the status bar and as is reported for remote management. If Blue Iris shows
20%, but your task manager shows 40%, please set this value to 2.00."

If you go to Settings > Other > Advanced there's the "CPU Usage Factor" field to make adjustments.