Blue Iris webserver stops being accessible after half a day or so

Reaction score
I tried on DMZ and Port forward, all is set good.
System is Windows 8. Latest version of BI.

I can access localhost and WAN perfectly after a reboot but after a while I can no longer access it via WAN or LAN or even localhost on the server.

Restarting the App does not help, only restarting the computer will let it be visible again.

netstat says that nothing is binding to the port, tried both 81 and 8081.

What can I do to narrow down the problem? Thanks

-Mike

TechGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
I am currently having a similar, if not the same issue.

After a few hours to a few days, port 81 seems to be taken.
Netstat doesn't report the port in use.
Changing the port while BI is live does resolve the issue - but changing it back to port 81 doesn't work.

Restarting BI services doesn't work. Restarting the server it is running on does though.

I'm doubtful that it is a memory leak since changing the port to something else resolves the issue, while a complete restart of Blue Iris does not.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you examined ports on all cams to insure port 81 is not being used (inadvertently) by one of them? Granted, 99% of the time the HTTP port of IP cams are set to 80 as default but it bears checking, IMO, in case 81 got tied to another port somehow.

TechGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
I went through and checked all of our cameras and none of them were running on port 81, all are already set to port 80. Also, we have have upnp off, so they shouldn't be able to block WAN connections.

We also tried connecting to the web server via WAN and LAN - both being blocked even on the server itself. We did not try 127.0.0.1:81, I'll try that next time we have the problem.

If you guys have any other ideas, I'm open to them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I went through and checked all of our cameras and none of them were running on port 81, all are already set to port 80. Also, we have have upnp off, so they shouldn't be able to block WAN connections.

We also tried connecting to the web server via WAN and LAN - both being blocked even on the server itself. We did not try 127.0.0.1:81, I'll try that next time we have the problem.

If you guys have any other ideas, I'm open to them.
try a different port...or better yet use vpn

TechGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fenderman,

electro_mike said that he tried both port 81, and port 8081 with the same issue.
As for using a vpn, even internally we aren't able to access the web server. Blue Iris does give the error 12029 when trying to re-setup the web server.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice fenderman,

electro_mike said that he tried both port 81, and port 8081 with the same issue.
As for using a vpn, even internally we aren't able to access the web server. Blue Iris does give the error 12029 when trying to re-setup the web server.
email support and check your firewall

TechGuy

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, no web server running on our server.
I don't believe it's the computer's firewall either since a restart fixes the issue temporarily, but we do have Blue Iris whitelisted.

We have 3 servers running BI, and only one of them is having this issue.

Also, it does sound like this post is having a similar issue:
Blue Iris Remote viewing

Thursday, the 2nd of August was the first day we noticed the issue. Which happens to be about when electro_mike and A L started having the issue.

Unfortunately, our basic support has ended before this issue arose.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, no web server running on our server.
I don't believe it's the computer's firewall either since a restart fixes the issue temporarily, but we do have Blue Iris whitelisted.

We have 3 servers running BI, and only one of them is having this issue.

Also, it does sound like this post is having a similar issue:
Blue Iris Remote viewing

Thursday, the 2nd of August was the first day we noticed the issue. Which happens to be about when electro_mike and A L started having the issue.

Unfortunately, our basic support has ended before this issue arose.
well pay the 30 bux for support ..if this happened after an update, revert back.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Same problem here, which is why I signed up to the forum.

Running 4 cameras on a Win 7 machine, need to reboot the machine after a day or so to restart the web server.
email support, it appears to be a bug..if none of you email, then it wont get resolved.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you examined ports on all cams to insure port 81 is not being used (inadvertently) by one of them? Granted, 99% of the time the HTTP port of IP cams are set to 80 as default but it bears checking, IMO, in case 81 got tied to another port somehow.

It doesn't matter what port numbers the cameras use.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What if a port forward to a cam IP is set to port 81 and the cam is set to 80
It doesn't matter what port numbers the cameras use.
Yeah, you're 100% correct, I was hasty with my analysis and know very well that either a port forward in a router will go to the specified IP or if accessing via VPN that IP will be included with the port in the URL, so no mixup there, it'll make it to the BI server, cam ports are of no consequence.

Can I at least try to save face and state that I said what I did as a test to see if you were paying attention?:rolleyes:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
lol

What if a port forward to a cam IP is set to port 81 and the cam is set to 80
External ports in a forwarding rule don't need to match the internal ports (except in some really crappy routers).

Reaction score
My system is back to being stable, the final change that solved the problem was disabling automatic updates in BlueIris.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My system is back to being stable, the final change that solved the problem was disabling automatic updates in BlueIris.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
disabling auto updates has nothing to do with whether you can access remotely or not....its good to disable it, but its not the cause of your problem.

Reaction score
disabling auto updates has nothing to do with whether you can access remotely or not....its good to disable it, but its not the cause of your problem.
Lol. Glad you know more about it than me.

The software was trying to update and failing.

So in my case this actually was the problem.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol. Glad you know more about it than me.

The software was trying to update and failing.

So in my case this actually was the problem.
I do know more about it than you...it was not the cause of your failure otherwise you WOULD HAVE MENTIONED IT IN YOUR OP. WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU NOT LOOK AT YOUR SERVER BEFORE TRYING TO DIAGNOSE THE ISSUE? If it was trying to update and failing the local interface would show that its trying to update and it would be down...it would not crash the webserver alone.

Reaction score
Wow. I did. And about the 12th time looking I seen that it was in the middle of an update. That is what gave me the idea.

Before those 12 times I had downloaded the latest version from BlueIris and installed manually. Wiped all settings, built from scratch.

I had tried everything.

Then unticked the auto update box aftert it once again failed to lose connectivity. Rebooted. Hasn't had any trouble since then.

Didn't mean to upset you, just want to post my solution to my problem incase someone else had the same problem.