BlueIris Hogging RAM

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is very high RAM usage. How to lower it?

Screenshot_20201004-113917_Jump%20Desktop.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Ssayer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That's about as little info as you can give, eh? How many cams, how much bitrate? Is it registered, etc... all help with a question like this...

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Currently I have 4 cameras running on a Ryzen 3700x with 16Gb RAM and an nVidia GTX 1060-6Gb but this issue has just recently come to light. The RAM usage of BI has doubled in the last few weeks.

My Settings (Camera Settings are Typical for all Cameras):

1601841587138.png

1601841052906.png
1601841091512.png

1601840943129.png
1601841851786.png

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
55% of my total 16Gb is being used but a vast majority of that is being used by BI, nearly 4 times more than the next highest user.
Blue Iris is only using 1.5 GB which is normal depending on your load the 55% represents your total ram usage Not blue Iris

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris is only using 1.5 GB which is normal depending on your load the 55% represents your total ram usage Not blue Iris
I understand this but to me 1.5gb / 10% is too much. I run other video processing things on this PC that don't come close to this, not even HandBreak video conversionS from mp4 or ts to HEVC come close to this and it is recent as it wasn't this high previously.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
That amount of memory usage is not entirely unreasonable for four 2MP cameras at 30 FPS each depending on your other settings. I can see from the fact you set a BI encoding profile to 100% quality with a 1024 Kbps bit rate limit that you don't really know what you are doing.

Some things to reduce memory usage are:

1) Reduce the pre-trigger video buffer size in BI camera properties > Record tab.
2) Do not set a needlessly large "Receive buffer" in BI camera properties > Video tab > Configure. (3 MB - 6 MB is plenty)
3) Make sure the "Max. rate" setting in BI camera properties > Video tab matches the frame rate of your camera. This setting auto-adjusts upward if your camera ever sends a higher frame rate, but it will not auto-adjust back down. It strongly affects memory usage.

Although it isn't fun, reducing the camera's frame rate (and also reducing the "Max. rate" setting to match) should substantially reduce memory usage as well.

Anyway, if 1.5 GB is too much for Blue Iris to be using, then you should not be running Blue Iris on that PC. You also should not be running Blue Iris along with other software that makes extremely heavy use of the CPU or GPU video processing resources. Blue Iris needs to have the resources to do its job in a timely manner or else it will simply fail to do its job.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is why it is strongly recommend that BI run on a standalone dedicated PC.

I have 13 cameras 16 GB memory, 700/MP/s and BI uses 5.5 GB memory, the total system uses 8.4 GB. I have No additional programs on the PC, windows 10 pro and BI. This is normal behavior.

Most other programs spend 99% of the time waiting for user input. BI runs 24/7/365, every single second of every single day. completely different than other programs.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand this but to me 1.5gb / 10% is too much. I run other video processing things on this PC that don't come close to this, not even HandBreak video conversionS from mp4 or ts to HEVC come close to this and it is recent as it wasn't this high previously.

Handbrake works differently than BI. As others have noted depending on your load expect BI to use several gigs of memory, 1.5 is actually pretty low for the average system.. You dont know how much BI was previously using because you were going of the % number in task manager.

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine with 5 cameras. PC works great as a standalone PC for CCTV plus also use it for my Plex Server. I am using H264 only.

2020-10-05_141010b.jpg

Last edited:

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Handbrake works differently than BI. As others have noted depending on your load expect BI to use several gigs of memory, 1.5 is actually pretty low for the average system.. You dont know how much BI was previously using because you were going of the % number in task manager.
Sorry but this statement is simply not true. I know how to read Task Manager and Performance Monitor as well as CPUID Hardware Monitor. I was never going by the percentage at the top of Task Manager but taking the indicated memory for the BI process and dividing by my total installed memory all along. sometimes it can be pushing 15% itself.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is why it is strongly recommend that BI run on a standalone dedicated PC.

I have 13 cameras 16 GB memory, 700/MP/s and BI uses 5.5 GB memory, the total system uses 8.4 GB. I have No additional programs on the PC, windows 10 pro and BI. This is normal behavior.

Most other programs spend 99% of the time waiting for user input. BI runs 24/7/365, every single second of every single day. completely different than other programs.
A good percentage of the programs on my PC run 24/7 too like Emby Server. HandBrake kicks in whenever a TV Show is done recording via MCEBuddy and I have other programs that are GPU and processor intensive that kick in several times a day. None of them come close to the memory usage of BI. Ever. Don't get me wrong, I like BI a lot and never have any issues with it but it seems to be inefficient code to need to take this amount of RAM all the time.

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That amount of memory usage is not entirely unreasonable for four 2MP cameras at 30 FPS each depending on your other settings. I can see from the fact you set a BI encoding profile to 100% quality with a 1024 Kbps bit rate limit that you don't really know what you are doing.

Some things to reduce memory usage are:

1) Reduce the pre-trigger video buffer size in BI camera properties > Record tab.
2) Do not set a needlessly large "Receive buffer" in BI camera properties > Video tab > Configure. (3 MB - 6 MB is plenty)
3) Make sure the "Max. rate" setting in BI camera properties > Video tab matches the frame rate of your camera. This setting auto-adjusts upward if your camera ever sends a higher frame rate, but it will not auto-adjust back down. It strongly affects memory usage.

Although it isn't fun, reducing the camera's frame rate (and also reducing the "Max. rate" setting to match) should substantially reduce memory usage as well.

Anyway, if 1.5 GB is too much for Blue Iris to be using, then you should not be running Blue Iris on that PC. You also should not be running Blue Iris along with other software that makes extremely heavy use of the CPU or GPU video processing resources. Blue Iris needs to have the resources to do its job in a timely manner or else it will simply fail to do its job.
Thank you for a response that actually looks to help lower the RAM usage of BI. I do have the hardware to handle all my needs and never have had it fail to do its job but probably need to invest in a couple more sticks of RAM to give more headroom.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
1.5GB is pretty light weight. Here is mine with 15 cameras:

Screenshot from 2020-10-09 06-56-07.png

This is on a VM with only 6GB of RAM assigned to it. I'd say BI is pretty efficient for what it is doing considering.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry but this statement is simply not true. I know how to read Task Manager and Performance Monitor as well as CPUID Hardware Monitor. I was never going by the percentage at the top of Task Manager but taking the indicated memory for the BI process and dividing by my total installed memory all along. sometimes it can be pushing 15% itself.
You obviously dont know how to read task manager. You stated "55% of my total 16Gb is being used but a vast majority of that is being used by BI ". The title of your thread is BI is "hogging" ram, when in fact only a small portion of that is BI. This is NORMAL for blue iris. IF your ocd cannot handle it, there are 200 other vms, see if they work better for you. One thing is for certain, with all the crap you have running on your system, you will have issues - at the worst times.