BlueIris is amazing! Why bother with NVR today?

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And when I say Good NVR, even within Dahuas selection they range from bare bones at around $100 to very sophisticated units well over $1000.
That doesn't matter what the price is as software is the same for most part with extra features added if as you pay more. The problem for me wasn't hardware, it's the software which I see now lacks quite a bit in comparison to what you get with BI for under $100.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a fair comparison that warrants any conclusions. ;)
I wasn't attempting to compare.

I stated that there's no "one size fits all", in essence. In other words, "what suits me may not suit you".
Conclusions? I like to cite the points I've observed, not heard about, and let the reader draw their own conclusions...after all, it will be they that must make the decisions and operate the device...not me.

Fair enough?

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeahbut YOU set it up for him. Same would have been the case if someone had showed him how to use his NVR
I've done both for him, the NVR and BI...the calls to me from him have decreased exponentially since he was "given" BI...that was my second motive, the first being fixing him up with something that works for him, without me being "on call 24/7". Most importantly, I know the man, he's a good guy but I know our past tech struggles over the past 10 years ....you do not. :cool:

He's happy and I'm happy.....works for me.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The idea that it takes days to learn BI is insane. You can set BI up in a few hours of basic reading of the help file and playing with the software, just as one would have to do with an NVR. Lots of non-techie users have setup BI. Certainly if you want to use advanced features its a different ballgame and you need to spend more time depending on what you want to do.
No argument there.

Bottom line...he had an NVR and was not happy, he called me, I tried to help him and I won't bore this forum with the struggles for several months he had...he was calling me at 10 PM with questions.. I gave him a solution, it was BI, no more calls.....he's happy and so am I.

A fairy-tale ending, IMO. :cool:

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
It is unfortunate that you have many installs that hang up. As noted, this is 100% user error on your part. You should not be selling the solution if you are not capable of properly implementing it. You can check the NVR sub forums and see countless posts about them failing or in a bootloop.
Failing Hardrives, Corrupted Bios, Dead Cmos Batteries, Bad Fans, I've seen it all. I fail to see how these are my fault. Embedded devices also have these issues, but I find them more reliable. I have been doing this a long time, I shut off updates, disable all bloatware, run as a service, disable all unnecessary startup programs, use SSD boot drives, direct to disk, manage framerates and i frames, intel processors, etc. Why would you assume this is a "me" issue? Are you saying that you haven't had any Blue Iris NVR failures in the past 10 years? If so, sell me some with a lifetime warranty, please.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Failing Hardrives, Corrupted Bios, Dead Cmos Batteries, Bad Fans, I've seen it all. I fail to see how these are my fault. Embedded devices also have these issues, but I find them more reliable. I have been doing this a long time, I shut off updates, disable all bloatware, run as a service, disable all unnecessary startup programs, use SSD boot drives, direct to disk, manage framerates and i frames, intel processors, etc. Why would you assume this is a "me" issue? Are you saying that you haven't had any Blue Iris NVR failures in the past 10 years? If so, sell me some with a lifetime warranty, please.

All of those types of failures can happen with an NVR as well.

I had NVRs for many years. It was a frustrating experience.

There is a big debate here on which is better. Personally I found the NVRs to be too clunky and not very user friendly and got to the point that I was reactive instead of proactive. I literally tested BI and knew within a few minutes it was better than any NVR I ever had.

I have had whatever the NVR operating system is running on go out. TWICE. Got to buy a whole new NVR - TWICE

I have had the ethernet port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

i had the HDMI port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

Most I ever got was 2.5 years. The only working part was the HDD that I simply moved from the old NVR to the new one. I got to the point of realizing that an NVR is simply a stripped down computer, so I went to BI and never looked back. I got tired of buying a whole new unit.

So in my BI Computer, at least if the SSD goes out, I can just replace it. If the ethernet card goes out, I can just replace it. If the HDMI port goes out, I can just replace it. etc.

Personally I gave up on NVRs because I have found them to be clunky and a struggle to review clips and if a component goes out like the internet port, then you are stuck buying a new NVR whereas a computer part goes out and you replace just that component. I went to BI on a dedicated machine and haven't looked back.

Keep in mind an NVR is simply a watered down computer....

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
That is user error on the setup. If we had those problems, we would be using something else.

A BI/PC can be a very reliable system. Turn off auto updates and have the computer autostart on a shutdown and run BI as a service and you have a more powerful NVR and not a system where the PC was hung up....

BI allows for anonymous update of performance data. People have had it running nonstop for over 1900 days, or 5+ years... And I suspect that the last time it rebooted was when they manually did it...I was an NVR user before I made the switch and I never had an NVR last 5 years LOL

View attachment 165234
I fired up my first unit in 2012, I have well over 100 in the field, most are still working, many have been upgraded though. I still think embedded has been more reliable overall, but agree the BI is a far better software. All of my implementations now use both.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I was corrected assuming it's you... You claim you have more failures in your Blue Iris machines then you list a whole bunch of issues that are hardware related..

What kind of shit are you using. You are an embarrassment. Are you saying that the hard drives last longer in an NVR? Seriously? I have over 20 blue iris machines and service I have seen none of these failures other than a power supply on an 8-year-old bell machine.
Moreover I have over 100 PCs under my control and have never seen any of these failures.
You sound like a trunk slammer.

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
I was corrected assuming it's you... You claim you have more failures in your Blue Iris machines then you list a whole bunch of issues that are hardware related..

What kind of shit are you using. You are an embarrassment. Are you saying that the hard drives last longer in an NVR? Seriously? I have over 20 blue iris machines and service I have seen none of these failures other than a power supply on an 8-year-old bell machine.
Moreover I have over 100 PCs under my control and have never seen any of these failures.
You sound like a trunk slammer.
Yeah, I am a trunk Slammer, lol. Why does everyone get so upset with those who have opinions? Sorry I embarrassed you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am a trunk Slammer, lol. Why does everyone get so upset with those who have opinions? Sorry I embarrassed you.
Yes you are. You installed systems that failed your customers - repeatedly. You didnt resolve the problem for them. Trunk slammers like you are the reason we started this forum. You have only embarrassed yourself.

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes you are. You installed systems that failed your customers - repeatedly. You didnt resolve the problem for them. Trunk slammers like you are the reason we started this forum. You have only embarrassed yourself.
Who said I haven't resolved my client's issues? Why are you so angry? I don't think you understand me or my background, so I will save you the embarrassment.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Who said I haven't resolved my client's issues? Why are you so angry? I don't think you understand me or my background, so I will save you the embarrassment.
I have several reasons to believe that you have not resolved your clients problems. First, your own post where you stated "but I have been embarrassed too many times when clients call me for footage and I find out the pc was hung up". Holy hell that sounds like a bunch of problems you are having due to your inexperience and shoddy work. Second, your 3.8 rating on google for your business, yeah I went there. I wont save you the embarresment. You perform shoddy work. You are a trunkslammer holding yourself out as a reputable business. How in the world do you have sooo many failures? Go back into your hole. Your background is garbage. Anyone can obtain a degree and pass a test. You don't have the basic skillset to install a router let alone a surveillance system.

Shoddy installers like yourself is EXACTLY why we have this forum. Folks, this is another great example as to why you should do the work yourself. Buy your own cable, run it yourself or sub the running and terminating of the cable to a low voltage contractor. Do not let them install their systems, dont buy any parts from them. Many of them will sell you garbage and are incompetent.

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have several reasons to believe that you have not resolved your clients problems. First, your own post where you stated "but I have been embarrassed too many times when clients call me for footage and I find out the pc was hung up". Holy hell that sounds like a bunch of problems you are having due to your inexperience and shoddy work. Second, your 3.8 rating on google for your business, yeah I went there. I wont save you the embarresment. You perform shoddy work. You are a trunkslammer holding yourself out as a reputable business. How in the world do you have sooo many failures? Go back into your hole. Your background is garbage. Anyone can obtain a degree and pass a test. You don't have the basic skillset to install a router let alone a surveillance system.

Shoddy installers like yourself is EXACTLY why we have this forum. Folks, this is another great example as to why you should do the work yourself. Buy your own cable, run it yourself or sub the running and terminating of the cable to a low voltage contractor. Do not let them install their systems, dont buy any parts from them. Many of them will sell you garbage and are incompetent.
Dude, I have no time for your antics. Read back through this thread a guy asked for a reason why not to use BI, and I expressed my opinion. I could care less what my old Google review ratings, which span from my last of being a car audio shop, now a days as I do almost 1m a year, in custom home automation with a crew of 4. We do super high end projects soup to nuts, and I have to know all of it, lighting, electrical, HVAC, security, irrigation, plumbing, sound, TV’s, led lighting. Damn the list goes on. I have a degree in electrical engineering from RPI, I started my business in 1996, and lastly I never said one bad thing about anyone here. Maybe you should check in your anger.

, I spent two weeks locked in my office writing a driver to integrate blue Iris with control4, and have a great professional relationship with Ken. That driver made me about 20k so it was a good way to spend two weeks.

But alas, you considering me a trunk slammer, won’t make me stop sleeping at night.

Maybe you can share your credentials, and we can swap install photos, that would be fun :)

Best,

Adam

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
Dude, I have no time for your antics. Read back through this thread a guy asked for a reason why not to use BI, and I expressed my opinion. I could care less what my old Google review ratings, which span from my last of being a car audio shop, now a days as I do almost 1m a year, in custom home automation with a crew of 4. We do super high end projects soup to nuts, and I have to know all of it, lighting, electrical, HVAC, security, irrigation, plumbing, sound, TV’s, led lighting. Damn the list goes on. I have a degree in electrical engineering from RPI, I started my business in 1996, and lastly I never said one bad thing about anyone here. Maybe you should check in your anger.

, I spent two weeks locked in my office writing a driver to integrate blue Iris with control4, and have a great professional relationship with Ken. That driver made me about 20k so it was a good way to spend two weeks.

But alas, you considering me a trunk slammer, won’t make me stop sleeping at night.

Maybe you can share your credentials, and we can swap install photos, that would be fun :)

Best,

Adam
Also, no skill set to install a basic router. We manage over 250 clients on OVRC, and 150 on unifi. We set up all of our routers properly with VLANS, and reserve every device on network as we don’t like static IP setups.

You clearly have me all wrong, and I have always resolved my clients issues.

Your just angry, and I can’t fix that. Go ahead and moderate this out, I really don’t care, doesn’t affect me.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
We set up all of our routers properly with VLANS, and reserve every device on network as we don’t like static IP setups.
Surely, you would have some static IP devices such as router, switches, access points, printers and cameras. I'm in the Unifi world, so I may be missing something when you refer to 'reserving every device'. In my mind I believe that means reserving an IP address range where DHCP cannot use that range.

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
Surely, you would have some static IP devices such as router, switches, access points, printers and cameras. I'm in the Unifi world, so I may be missing something when you refer to 'reserving every device'. In my mind I believe that means reserving an IP address range where DHCP cannot use that range.
Routers are not static unless the client specifically pays for a static iP, which is rare and unnecessary now a days, and why would I set any device static when I could just reserve it? That way when the router fails, which it will as every device does, regardless of what federman thinks… at least it should be findable on the new dhcp range. Also the routers I use can implement a Reserved address outside of the dhcp range.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Best,

Adam
You do shit projects and your degree is worthless if you cannot get your machines to work and are embarrassed when your clients cant get video. You are the problem with the industry in a nutshell. None of my installs 20 have issues like yours and I don't do this professionally. We built this forum from the ground up so that folks could avoid scammers like you. The sucker who paid 20k for a driver to work with BI deserves a refund.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Routers are not static unless the client specifically pays for a static iP, which is rare and unnecessary now a days, and why would I set any device static when I could just reserve it? That way when the router fails, which it will as every device does, regardless of what federman thinks… at least it should be findable on the new dhcp range. Also the routers I use can implement a Reserved address outside of the dhcp range.
Typical clueless fool confusing WAN and LAN static up addresses. A client has to pay for a local static ip? THIS folks is why you need to avoid incompetent installers. I was right, you cant even install a basic router. Its no wonder your installers are plagued with issues that cause you embarrassment.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like you are comparing apples and oranges, mixing WAN (Public) IP's ("Routers are not static unless the client specifically pays for a static iP") and LAN (Private) IP's (" Also the routers I use can implement a Reserved address outside of the dhcp range."). :wtf: