BlueIris is amazing! Why bother with NVR today?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
"Great minds think alike". :cool:
Its really sad that folks think they are getting pros but these guys are maybe a half step above a cable modem installer. Show them a real firewall and they would not know how to turn it on.

Keizer

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Its really sad that folks think they are getting pros but these guys are maybe a half step above a cable modem installer. Show them a real firewall and they would not know how to turn it on.
I've found that my projects turn out better than the pros if I do it myself with the help of forums like these. I draw the line though at doing my own dental work. :D

Audioadam

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds like you are comparing apples and oranges, mixing WAN (Public) IP's ("Routers are not static unless the client specifically pays for a static iP") and LAN (Private) IP's (" Also the routers I use can implement a Reserved address outside of the dhcp range."). :wtf:
You think I don’t understand the difference betweeen wide area networks and local area network of network address translation. You guys have me all wrong, but go on with your selves, it really doesn’t affect me.

Read this thread back in a year and reflect, that’s all I will say.

Love,

Adam

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You think I don’t understand the difference betweeen wide area networks and local area network of network address translation. You guys have me all wrong, but go on with your selves, it really doesn’t affect me.

Read this thread back in a year and reflect, that’s all I will say.

Love,

Adam
Really sad. Again a sad example of a clueless "pro". Thank you for helping users educate themselves on why not to hire "pros".

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yikes! How did sharing my positive BI experience turn into this... :oops:

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That way when the router fails, which it will as every device does, regardless of what federman thinks… at least it should be findable on the new dhcp range.
If a CCTV camera does not have a static IP address, and that camera fails, for whatever reason, if that camera is then allocated another IP address, does that not introduce other problems?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If a CCTV camera does not have a static IP address, and that camera fails, for whatever reason, if that camera is then allocated another IP address, does that not introduce other problems?
I got rid of him. But to answer your question what he is doing is reserving the IP address based on the cameras mac address. So if the camera fails (im assuming you mean temporarily) when it comes back online it will grab with same address. This is fine for a small installation with a few cams. What this fool fails to realize that setting a static ip address outside the dhcp range for each camera is a much better option because if the router fails and is replaced all you need to do is set the same dhcp range that leaves room for the static ip outside the range and the cameras come back online instantly. In his scenario, you would need to allow the new router to hand out new addresses via dhcp then manually reserve everything again and reboot the devices or enter each mac address in the reservation table if the device allows. What a mess.
This goes to show you the level of incompetence of these "pros".

Eric Bernhardt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BI has 2 major flaws that I've been working with the developer on.

1. You cannot shut off individual camera push alerts on the mobile app. Well, you CAN, but it also shuts it off for everyone else. For example, my wife has a camera I installed that she likes to watch birds with that has AI to notify when it sees a bird. I don't want the alerts for this camera but she does. But if I shut them off, even with 2 different user log ins, it's shuts off hers as well.
2. Also referring to the mobile app. You cannot simply download an alert clip to your mobile device. You have to record using the little record button in real time. You should be able to Sim Le long press the alert clip, and select download. Not a huge deal, but still more than most want to deal with.

These two things aren't a big deal for most commercial clients, but they can be a real deal breaker for residential clients. Or for commercial clients that want to focus more on the mobile experience.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

1. You cannot shut off individual camera push alerts on the mobile app. Well, you CAN, but it also shuts it off for everyone else. For example, my wife has a camera I installed that she likes to watch birds with that has AI to notify when it sees a bird. I don't want the alerts for this camera but she does. But if I shut them off, even with 2 different user log ins, it's shuts off hers as well.
2. Also referring to the mobile app. You cannot simply download an alert clip to your mobile device. You have to record using the little record button in real time. You should be able to Sim Le long press the alert clip, and select download. Not a huge deal, but still more than most want to deal with.

These two things aren't a big deal for most commercial clients, but they can be a real deal breaker for residential clients. Or for commercial clients that want to focus more on the mobile experience.
I suppose it's a matter perspective, but I, as a residential user (non-commercial), would not class the flaws as you describe as major flaws. I only use the mobile app on a minimal basis and for any major scraping of video clips required, and when I do require them, it's usually from four cameras, I'll do it directly from the computer (a real computer, not a phone or the web app).

I do accept that the mobile app could do with some improvements, as from time to time, I, for the life of me, can never remember some basic functions such as going directly to a date/time of a particular camera if alerts haven't been recorded. Admittedly, I have not spent the time to explore every nook and cranny of the mobile app and I am sure someone will explain a way to easily go directly to a date/time of a camera.

I see it as the grunt of the system is the computer software itself and it does that extremely well.

As you are communicating with the developer of the mobile app, it can only benefit everyone.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

LOL this is funny. You probably consider these "major flaws" simply because you have never used an NVR or other vms and you dont realize how luck your are to have BI that allows this incredible fine tunning. I urge you to buy any alternative to BI and report back.

1) This is simply user error and failure to read the help files. The "major flaw" is a feature not available on any NVR and likely most vms. However it IS available in blue iris. There are several ways to do this but the easiest way to do this is to simply limit push notifications to your own phone. This is explained in the help file.
"If you would like to send this notification to only a subset of connected mobile devices, you
may specify one or more “tags.” Separate multiple tags with semicolons. A mobile device
must have any one of the specified tags in order to receive the alert. Please see the Mobile
devices tab in Settings. Leave this box blank to send to all mobile devices."

IF you use text or email notifications simply enter your wifes info for that camera only.

IF you want to be able to toggle this function - again - easy, use profiles.

2) The mobile app needs work, but this is something that is no a huge deal. 99.9 percent of users are not constantly downloading video to their phones. More importantly you can do this via the browser on your mobile phone using ui3 - you will need to set begin and end times. The app is not needed at all...

Last edited:

ZeeCam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Nothing major really in comparison how limited is NVR.

Also, personally I don't use mobile app as mobile view in browser is superior to anything I have seen and you can easily download recorded clip. And for alerts I use telegram notifications.

Eric Bernhardt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
LOL this is funny. You probably consider these "major flaws" simply because you have never used an NVR or other vms and you dont realize how luck your are to have BI that allows this incredible fine tunning. I urge you to buy any alternative to BI and report back.

1) This is simply user error and failure to read the help files. The "major flaw" is a feature not available on any NVR and likely most vms. However it IS available in blue iris. There are several ways to do this but the easiest way to do this is to simply limit push notifications to your own phone. This is explained in the help file.
"If you would like to send this notification to only a subset of connected mobile devices, you
may specify one or more “tags.” Separate multiple tags with semicolons. A mobile device
must have any one of the specified tags in order to receive the alert. Please see the Mobile
devices tab in Settings. Leave this box blank to send to all mobile devices."

IF you use text or email notifications simply enter your wifes info for that camera only.

IF you want to be able to toggle this function - again - easy, use profiles.

2) The mobile app needs work, but this is something that is no a huge deal. 99.9 percent of users are not constantly downloading video to their phones. More importantly you can do this via the browser on your mobile phone using ui3 - you will need to set begin and end times. The app is not needed at all...
You're missing my point, it's not user error. It should be simple to do for ANY user. No one is going to go through this every time.
They should be able to simply go into the APP, and tap the the button for the corresponding camera, turn turn "on" to "off"...boom, done. And yes MANY other NVRs and systems have this ability.
Also, no one wants to use a browser to access their cameras and download clips. It's should be just as simple a selecting a clip and tapping download. MANY other systems have this capability.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Also, no one wants to use a browser to access their cameras and download clips. It's should be just as simple a selecting a clip and tapping download. MANY other systems have this capability.
"No one wants to use a browser ...", that's a big call, where did you get that information? What you should have said is, "I don't want to use a browser".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Eric Bernhardt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"No one wants to use a browser ...", that's a big call, where did you get that information? What you should have said is, "I don't want to use a browser".

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
I said what I said. And that's right, I DON'T want to use a browser to view my cams. I want to use an app, an app I paid for too.
Also, none of my customers want to use an app. How unprofessional would that look if I told them, "well, the app kinda sucks and doesn't have all the easy features of other systems, but if you use a browser along with this VPN, yada yada yada..." ...no sale

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And yes MANY other NVRs and systems have this ability.
MANY other systems have this capability.
Apparently the lack of these 2 features in Blue Iris has not been a deal breaker for a heckuva lot of people, myself included. Not to say that either of those features are unattractive but a majority of users likely don't care enough to look elsewhere. A very large number of BI users are former NVR users; I doubt very much that the reverse is true.

Eric Bernhardt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Apparently the lack of these 2 features in Blue Iris has not been a deal breaker for a heckuva lot of people, myself included. Not to say that either of those features are unattractive but a majority of users likely don't care enough to look elsewhere. A very large number of BI users are former NVR users; I doubt very much that the reverse is true.
I disagree. I have a very hard time selling a Blue Iris system to residential users because of these issues. And over the last couple years, it's becoming more difficult to sell to commercial users. No one wants to sit in front of a monitor or computer to view their cameras and/or save footage, they want to use their mobile device. And they want it easy, the fewer taps the better

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
If nobody wants to use a browser, and nobody wants to use an app. Then, sincere question.... what do they want in order to ID a clip from a list and tap it to download?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're missing my point, it's not user error. It should be simple to do for ANY user. No one is going to go through this every time.
They should be able to simply go into the APP, and tap the the button for the corresponding camera, turn turn "on" to "off"...boom, done. And yes MANY other NVRs and systems have this ability.
It really is simple to do .. Tell me what other NVR allows you to do this and if it does why don't you use that NVR? It's user error and you are clueless. In your particular use case you simply indicated you don't want alerts and it's very easy to do as I explained.

You should not be selling Blue Irish to anyone because it's obvious that you don't have a grasp on its basic functions... This is very common for newbies so I urge you to study Blue Iris for quite some time before you actually try to sell it. Stop being an unlicenced truck slammer.

You should not be selling Blue Irish to commercial users in the first place... What a stinking hack.

Quite frankly I don't believe that you sell Blue Iris or any VMS You were home user barely knows what an IP address is.