BlueIris: Record to NAS issues

ShaneHD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys,

You all have been so helpful lately that I wanted to try one more question.

I am setup with 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I cameras. I have Blue Iris installed on a PC and have all the cameras setup. Currently, I am having to record to a WD 2TB USB drive because I cannot get Blue Iris to record to a Netgear ReadyNAS 314 with 12 TB of space. It's why I obtained this NAS, so I could record locally and view videos for a longer amount of time.

About 5 years ago, under a different version of Blue Iris, I was able to get this to work. Just mapped a drive to the share on the NAS and it worked. Now it seems there is a bit of trickery involved.

What am I missing here? What does it take to get Blue Iris and a ReadyNAS to work? Keep in mind, this is a completely rebuild OS and Volumes on the NAS, so its basically stock. Permissions seem to be fine as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

You all have been so helpful lately that I wanted to try one more question.

I am setup with 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2042WD-I cameras. I have Blue Iris installed on a PC and have all the cameras setup. Currently, I am having to record to a WD 2TB USB drive because I cannot get Blue Iris to record to a Netgear ReadyNAS 314 with 12 TB of space. It's why I obtained this NAS, so I could record locally and view videos for a longer amount of time.

About 5 years ago, under a different version of Blue Iris, I was able to get this to work. Just mapped a drive to the share on the NAS and it worked. Now it seems there is a bit of trickery involved.

What am I missing here? What does it take to get Blue Iris and a ReadyNAS to work? Keep in mind, this is a completely rebuild OS and Volumes on the NAS, so its basically stock. Permissions seem to be fine as well.
if running as a service see help file that specific about this as well as several threads.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
@ShaneHD if you haven't already solved this problem, what @fenderman is referring to is the need to have the Blue Iris service log in using the same credentials you specified on the NAS.

When you created the shared drive on the NAS, you specified a user. Make that username and password the same as it is for the user on the PC running Blue Iris. If your PC doesn't use a password, create one. Make sure it's the same as the one on the NAS user share.

Then, go to services on the PC, find Blue Iris Service, and edit the properties. Click the "Log On" tab, then Log on as: This Account (see below)

upload_2017-6-27_14-19-41.png

Then, specify the username of the PC and password.

As long as those match the NAS username for the shared directory, it'll log in and start writing.

If you don't like the prompt for password on the PC, there are steps to bypass the login screen. Configure a User Account to Log On Automatically on Windows 7

hoosierdoc

n3wb
Reaction score
OK so there has to be more to this because I have all of that setup and it's not working.

My windows10 username and password are identical to the share credentials. I can mount the drive and tell it to use the same credentials, and I see the drive in file explorer. I am running BI as a service and told the service to use the same credentials again, but it won't show up.

What are some other error checking things I can do? If I go to "properties" of the share and go to security, it says owner is "root(Unix user\root)",is that an issue? I tried to change it to my current user and it gave me an error saying it can't change.

I tried to add my windows account as a full access user of that shared drive and it said "error occurred, failed to enumerate objects in the container, access is denied". My account is an administrator account. So frustrating.

hathanzo

n3wb
Reaction score
OK so there has to be more to this because I have all of that setup and it's not working.

My windows10 username and password are identical to the share credentials. I can mount the drive and tell it to use the same credentials, and I see the drive in file explorer. I am running BI as a service and told the service to use the same credentials again, but it won't show up.

What are some other error checking things I can do? If I go to "properties" of the share and go to security, it says owner is "root(Unix user\root)",is that an issue? I tried to change it to my current user and it gave me an error saying it can't change.

I tried to add my windows account as a full access user of that shared drive and it said "error occurred, failed to enumerate objects in the container, access is denied". My account is an administrator account. So frustrating.
Hi i just got this to work. Did you set windows to log in the a local account instead of your microsoft one, you might want to give that a try.

joydashy

n3wb
Reaction score
I have tried everything to get this to work, but alas. Am running BI in a Win10 KVM and attempting to write recordings to a mounted Samba drive. Have configured the correct account in the BI service, but it refuses to write to the share :(

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This still dosnt explain why blue iris can't see how much free space there is on the NAS

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When a Windows service needs to access a network share there needs to be an account on the Windows computer that matches exactly the account name and password on the network share. A local account is preferable. A separate account from the one you sign in with is a good idea, so that you can change your password without breaking the service's access to the network share.

1) On the network share/NAS box create a user account for "BlueIris" as the username and a password that you pick.
2) On the network share/NAS box grant that account FULL (read/write) permission to the shared folder/drive
3) On the Windows computer, create a LOCAL account called "BlueIris" with the same password.
4) On the Windows computer sign in using the new account and attempt to save a file to the NAS. This is to confirm the account is set up correctly and matches the credentials on the network share. Do not regularly use or sign in with this account. It's for the BlueIris service only. Optionally edit the registry to hide the account from the logon screen.
5) On the Windows computer open the properties for the BlueIris service and change the LogOn to "This account" by browsing to the BlueIris account you created and typing in the password you picked earlier.
6) Restart the BlueIris service. If the credentials are correct, it will restart. If not, it won't. Restarting the service is REQUIRED for it to use the new credentials.
7) Set the desired BlueIris folders to the network share. Things should work at this point.

If any of the above steps need detail, Google is your friend. This isn't a BlueIris specific problem, this is just how Windows networking and services work together.

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok.. having nothing but problems with my Synology unit. Permissions are fine but sending large files it starts to hang .. then stops responding all together. I’m not using two ports and have bonded them. So far not impressed

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok.. having nothing but problems with my Synology unit. Permissions are fine but sending large files it starts to hang .. then stops responding all together. I’m not using two ports and have bonded them. So far not impressed
Are you using a managed switch configured to bond the specific ports your Synology is plugged into? If you aren't, disconnect the 2nd network cable and disable bonding. Jumbo frames can also be a problem. Your network equipment needs to support this stuff. Most cheap retail stuff doesn't. And to make use of it on the BlueIris end, the network card in the computer also needs to as well.

I would also use NAS rated drives. Preferably Synology reccomended. Desktop drives can sometimes cause problems with RAID and/or have problems due to the amount of vibration in the NAS enclosure. Drive issues could easily explain your problems.

Simplify things some and maybe consider using Synology recommended drives and you might get some improvement.

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Are you using a managed switch configured to bond the specific ports your Synology is plugged into? If you aren't, disconnect the 2nd network cable and disable bonding. Jumbo frames can also be a problem. Your network equipment needs to support this stuff. Most cheap retail stuff doesn't. And to make use of it on the BlueIris end, the network card in the computer also needs to as well.

I would also use NAS rated drives. Preferably Synology reccomended. Desktop drives can sometimes cause problems with RAID and/or have problems due to the amount of vibration in the NAS enclosure. Drive issues could easily explain your problems.

Simplify things some and maybe consider using Synology recommended drives and you might get some improvement.
This unit has 4 network ports, I was only using one at first.

I only added a second network port and enable bonding in an attempt to try something different...this has improved things even though I probably need to configure thing on the network switch

I'm using a GS418TPP ProSAFE

I'm using recommened Synology drives..

Anymore ideas?

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anymore ideas?
The "fast then slow" copying of large files could just be "slow" with the "fast" stage just filling up the cache.

Personally I'd want to confirm the problem was with the Synology and not something about the network. But if you're sure it's the Synology, just googling "synology slow transfer" brings up a bunch of stuff. The guys blaming the Synology because file transfers are slow over WiFi crack me up ;)

Couple results for you:

Solved: Slow Transfer Speeds on Synology NAS

Slow transfer speeds and other questions. - Synology Forum

I also just shut down BI and copied a 1.4GB recording from the Synology to BI, and then back to confirm I'm not imagining things working well. Got 112MB/sec both ways, maxing out the connection. YMMV of course.

Parallax

n3wb
Reaction score

did you ever get it working? i too have the exact same credentials and its still not working.

richtj99

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

Curious, does the user account you use on the windows PC running BI need to be the same account on the NAS?

So

BI PC - Rich/123
NAS - Rich/123

OR can i Use
Rich/123
Dich/546 but change the service login to this info?

Thanks,
Rich

Reaction score
I thought I would add my experience with this. The fixes above will work but I didn't find this place first. I also think I like my way better than running the application under a service account it wasn't necessarily designed to use, so I'll add it here.

First of all, Blue Iris should definitely include a field for network share credentials to be put in when setting up network shares. I'm very surprised they haven't.

Second my diagnostic step in this (before I found this forum) was to set open permissions on the share, at which time video upload to my 'Stored' location began fine, confirming what I suspected was a permissions problem.
That also confirmed that it ran under the credentials present on the Service Account (Local System by default). I did briefly consider creating a different account on the PC to run the service under and giving it log on as a service rights, matching one with write to the share on my NAS. This didn't seem the best solution.

Microsoft makes available some very handy tools in the Sysinternals suite. You can download this from microsoft.com itself. Sysinternals download page.

One of the handiest tools in the suite is psexec. Aside from being able to run command line tools on a remote computer, you can also use it to run on your local PC as the system account. There is also another tool, already included in Windows called cmdkey.exe. It is the command line version of the Credential Manager tool. Using both of these, you are able to add a credential for use with your NAS to the System account on your local PC.

1. Download and extract the Sysinternals suite from MS that I linked above. I always extract to C:\pstools to make navigating there with command prompt easier.
2. Run an administrative command prompt in the folder where you extracted the Sysinternals suite. This should be the folder where psexec.exe resides.
3. Run a variation of the following command relative to an account you have made on your NAS that has been granted write permission to your NAS share.

psexec -s cmdkey /add:ServerNameOrIP /user:username /pass:password

(Bold items are variables that you must fill in. The -s switch for psexec tells the command you are using psexec to run to do so as the local system account. The rest should explain itself.)

4. Restart the BlueIris service. Your computer's Local System account (which is running the BlueIris service) should now use the credential you set whenever it connects to the remote device. I found this information unrelated to BlueIris specifically by googling 'credential manager system account', because I had no idea how to save a credential under the system account until I found an article on superuser.com.

I have had this working correctly to transfer files to my NAS using stored credentials for several days now.

Cheers,
Matt.

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When a Windows service needs to access a network share there needs to be an account on the Windows computer that matches exactly the account name and password on the network share. A local account is preferable. A separate account from the one you sign in with is a good idea, so that you can change your password without breaking the service's access to the network share.

1) On the network share/NAS box create a user account for "BlueIris" as the username and a password that you pick.
2) On the network share/NAS box grant that account FULL (read/write) permission to the shared folder/drive
3) On the Windows computer, create a LOCAL account called "BlueIris" with the same password.
4) On the Windows computer sign in using the new account and attempt to save a file to the NAS. This is to confirm the account is set up correctly and matches the credentials on the network share. Do not regularly use or sign in with this account. It's for the BlueIris service only. Optionally edit the registry to hide the account from the logon screen.
5) On the Windows computer open the properties for the BlueIris service and change the LogOn to "This account" by browsing to the BlueIris account you created and typing in the password you picked earlier.
6) Restart the BlueIris service. If the credentials are correct, it will restart. If not, it won't. Restarting the service is REQUIRED for it to use the new credentials.
7) Set the desired BlueIris folders to the network share. Things should work at this point.

If any of the above steps need detail, Google is your friend. This isn't a BlueIris specific problem, this is just how Windows networking and services work together.
This is the ONLY thing that worked for me.