Blueiris using almost 100% cpu and 25gb of ram

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My blueiris has been fine mostly recently but the last week my cpu will go to 100% and use 25gb of ram. I attached a few screenshots below. All cameras are using intel hardware acceleration. The db and install is on the nvme C drive. Its using the BVR recording and has substreams enabled. I'm stumped and I don't know what to do.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My blueiris has been fine mostly recently but the last week my cpu will go to 100% and use 25gb of ram. I attached a few screenshots below. All cameras are using intel hardware acceleration. The db and install is on the nvme C drive. Its using the BVR recording and has substreams enabled. I'm stumped and I don't know what to do.
Here are the screenshots, I forgot to add them.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try turning HA off.

Have you updated BI recently? What version are you on?

Have you disabled windows updates or will it automatically update? When was the last windows update?

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had intel VPP on I will try turning it off and trying just intel. Its usually fine for a day or so after a restart. I'm on 5.7.9.6. Windows updates are disabled but I manually update. Thank you!

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
yeah its a clean install . It seems like actually its because HA gets automatically changed somehow. I have HA set to intel globally and after a few days it would automatically set from default to "No" in random cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you disable it both globally and in each camera in BI.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the help so far. It looks like turning off HA for all cameras helped with the CPU, but I'm still having memory issues. It would be fine after a restart but its now at 92%. I'm curious, why does turning off HA help with this? I thought Intel HA is supposed to help with CPU. I'm still learning a lot!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hardware acceleration isn't needed anymore. That was only needed back before substreams were introduced. The substreams allowed other CPUs without QuickSync to be used. For kicks I disabled it and deleted the driver and my system ran fine LOL.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration several updates into when AI was added.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem and HA is decreasing their CPU% usage, but the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, for many people the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU (internal or external) is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU seems to go up by using hardware acceleration. But of course, some will see a CPU improvement by enabling it.

My CPU % went down by not using hardware acceleration. Here is a recent thread where someone turned off hardware acceleration based on my post and their CPU dropped 10-15% and BI became stable.

But if you use HA, use plain intel and not the variants.

It sounds like you may have a driver memory leak. Usually that is a graphics driver issue. What i number and intel generation and what is the graphic driver version?

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you for the thorough reply. Its all tracking since I started to have issues after upgrading from my xeon dell tower. I have a i5-9600k and the graphics driver version is 26.20.100.6952.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just updated to the latest intel graphics driver and looks like my ram is still high on utilization ~90% :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK the next step now is to disable all the cameras.

After doing that, the CPU should be 0%. If not, then something else is running that is causing a problem - an update has BI going thru antivirus program or the drive is now trying to index or something or a drive is failing.

If the CPU is 0% with BI running and all cameras disabled, slowly add them back one by one. You probably have a problematic camera and once you find it, deleting it and re-adding it should hopefully fix it.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow thank you for the super fast reply. I will get on that and report back. I was reading older threads and I was about to go disable some cameras too. Thank you.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding the problematic camera. Its nearly 0% when all disabled, I made sure to start disabling when I'm having cpu spikes, no restarts, so like you said its a problematic camera. I wish in the status page, BI would tell you how much cpu and ram each camera is using that would be a neat feature.

johannp02180

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When re-adding the possible problematic camera, is importing a reg file ok?