BlueIris Video playback stuttering

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am currently having an annoying issue when I am viewing video in BlueIris which has been captured by motion triggers inside BlueIris. The live view is smooth but when I go and review a triggered capture there appears to be a stutter every second on playback like it is dropping a frame. If I export the file and view in VLC the stutter is not there so it is something in BlueIris. Not sure what settings I need to review any help would be appreciated. I am on 5.3.1.5 from 07/31/20. Thanks in advance.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) are you running headless ?
2) is the Iframe and frame rate the same value in the camera ?
3) what is your frame rate ?
4) Make model number of camera (IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E ) ?
5) are you running bi demo version ?
6) are you viewing full screen on the console or on UI 3 ?
7) is BI running on a dedicated PC ?

It is generally recommend to continuously record 24/7/365, disk space is cheap

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
1) are you running headless ?
2) is the Iframe and frame rate the same value in the camera ?
3) what is your frame rate ?
4) Make model number of camera (IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E ) ?
5) are you running bi demo version ?
6) are you viewing full screen on the console or on UI 3 ?
7) is BI running on a dedicated PC ?

It is generally recommend to continuously record 24/7/365, disk space is cheap
Thanks SouthernYankee let me answer these questions.

1. No I am not running headless
2. Yes the iframe is the same as the frame rate in both the camera and BlueIris
3. The frame rate is 25 for my camera atm.
4. This is the IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E only one I own atm but the Z4E is on order.
5. Not running demo version of BI
6. I have the desktop app running on my dedicated BI machine and viewing it on that machine
7. See above.

It must be some setting on BI that is causing this slight freeze every second because it doesn't happen in the Dahua web interface when viewing the cam or modifying settings and when I export to MP4 no issues in VLC. It is just a minor annoyance atm just wondering if anyone had some quick fix.

If you need me to take screens of any setting in BI let me know.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
You would not happen to have an antivirus program that is looking at your BI storage?
If so, try put the BI video directories in the exempted folders in antivirus. Otherwise it will try
to read the files all of the time, and take tons of disk and CPU time.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I use Malwarebytes and have added the New folder for BlueIris into my exceptions so it does not scan that folder but I am still noticing the same issues.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you exclude the program folder?
When you say program folder do you mean the folder that houses the .exe? I just did that as well and still no luck.

I do only write to my disk on motion trigger from BI and captures only really last 30 seconds or so I don't remember viewing this issue when I recorded 24/7 and broke up my files in 2.5 GB chunks.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you are running Win10, you need to exclude all BI related directories from Windows Defender as well.
I have added both folders and BlueIris.exe to exclusions in Windows Defender as well and I still have the issue.

I have also been watching my CPU while viewing my clips and it doesn't exceed 40% so I really don't think it is an issue with my virus softwares impeding on BI especially since live video is perfectly fine.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) windows task manager performance, GPU
3) Blue Iris Setting about tab
4) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab
5) blue Iris status cameras tab
6) on two of the camera properties the record tab.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) windows task manager performance, GPU
3) Blue Iris Setting about tab
4) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage tab
5) blue Iris status cameras tab
6) on two of the camera properties the record tab.
Here are pictures of all but #4 I am not sure I understand the status. Are you wanting to see a list of the alerts created from my triggered events in Blue Iris?

Annotation 2020-08-04 172031.jpgAnnotation 2020-08-04 172114.jpgAnnotation 2020-08-04 172349.jpgAnnotation 2020-08-04 172452.jpgAnnotation 2020-08-04 172537.jpg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Status, click the graph with the lighting bolt on the upper left of the BI screen, a window will open with multiple taps,
1) camera tab
2) clip storage tab

questions
1) How many files are in the new folder. You appear to be recording each triggered event as a separate file.
2) what is your CPU type and the memory ?

recommend
1) reboot the PC and see if the problem still exists, use a few old files.
2) I would not run Microsoft team and discord.
2) disable hardware acceleration on the problem camera

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here you go got confused with the alerts lightning bolt. Looking at the cameras page it is concerning me to show FPS/key at 25/1 I thought I matched the key frames to match my FPS in my camera setting.

1. I have many files in the New folder and limit that folder to 5GB or 7 days and then move it to a storage folder.
2. My CPU is Core i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz 4 cores.

1. I will reboot tonight before I go to bed and see if that resolves some of the issues I haven't rebooted in awhile so that might fix the problem.
2. This current machine is where I do work until I build a dedicated machine so I need these running.
3. Since i have a GTX 1650 I wanted to try and utilize it. If I don't run hardware acceleration my CPU averages around 15-17% and right now it is down to 6% so not a problem atm but I am thinking of when I increase my camera count wanted to see how it works.

Annotation 2020-08-04 182529.jpgAnnotation 2020-08-04 182530.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Here you go got confused with the alerts lightning bolt. Looking at the cameras page it is concerning me to show FPS/key at 25/1 I thought I matched the key frames to match my FPS in my camera setting.

1. I have many files in the New folder and limit that folder to 5GB or 7 days and then move it to a storage folder.
2. My CPU is Core i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz 4 cores.

1. I will reboot tonight before I go to bed and see if that resolves some of the issues I haven't rebooted in awhile so that might fix the problem.
2. This current machine is where I do work until I build a dedicated machine so I need these running.
3. Since i have a GTX 1650 I wanted to try and utilize it. If I don't run hardware acceleration my CPU averages around 15-17% and right now it is down to 6% so not a problem atm but I am thinking of when I increase my camera count wanted to see how it works.

View attachment 68034View attachment 68035
I key frame of 1 means that you matched the the iframe interval is matched to the fps.
When you have a machine that is used for other tasks there is no telling what is screwing with the system. You dont need the gtx, its a waste of power. You can pick up an i5-6500 hp elitedesk for 150 on ebay.

TheGooginator

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I key frame of 1 means that you matched the the iframe interval is matched to the fps.
When you have a machine that is used for other tasks there is no telling what is screwing with the system. You dont need the gtx, its a waste of power. You can pick up an i5-6500 hp elitedesk for 150 on ebay.
I will definitely be looking to create my dedicated machine after I get my Z4E setup and working so I can get my dual NIC setup and be able to access my cameras outside my network. For now I will just live with the small stuttering. Thanks for the help.

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All,

I think I have exactly the same problem, and I am using the same camera - IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

I wasn't able to get a short video, but I have 2 snapshots that I think will explain the stuttering problem.

This pic shows the car moving straight after the camera is triggered:
Road.20200806_115644918_1.jpg

A few frames later this happens:
Road.20200806_115645078_1.jpg

This happens on the majority of cars that get triggered, as well as when people move through the field of view. I've also noticed on another video when I converted to an MP4 and played through VLC, the same stuttering type of issue existed.

Some other things to note:
  • this doesn't happen with any of the other cameras
  • IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E that has this issue is running at 25 FPS, and I-frame is set to 25 also in the Dahua setting page, eg
1596713334943.png

• Running BI 5.3.1.5
  • PC used is a dedicated HP Prodesk i5-6600, 16GB RAM
1596713591346.png

1596713660177.png

• C-drive is an NVME SSD.
  • System is headless, running Win10

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to make it go away?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Whoever I’ve had issues similar to this for me it’s always been the vid card drivers. Even though I have local polices set to not upgrade the drivers W10 seems to do an update when there is a major feature update.

Reverting back to my known good driver always fixes the issue for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I think I have exactly the same problem, and I am using the same camera - IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E

I wasn't able to get a short video, but I have 2 snapshots that I think will explain the stuttering problem.

This pic shows the car moving straight after the camera is triggered:
View attachment 68131

A few frames later this happens:
View attachment 68132

This happens on the majority of cars that get triggered, as well as when people move through the field of view. I've also noticed on another video when I converted to an MP4 and played through VLC, the same stuttering type of issue existed.

Some other things to note:
  • this doesn't happen with any of the other cameras
  • IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E that has this issue is running at 25 FPS, and I-frame is set to 25 also in the Dahua setting page, eg
View attachment 68133

• Running BI 5.3.1.5
  • PC used is a dedicated HP Prodesk i5-6600, 16GB RAM
View attachment 68134

View attachment 68136

• C-drive is an NVME SSD.
  • System is headless, running Win10

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to make it go away?
Search video tearing. This is not the same issue as the OP describes.