blueirissoftware.com website down (2023.07.07)

VinceG

n3wb
Reaction score
And now this is affecting licensing. My license should expire in April 2024 and all my cameras now have the Blue Iris Evaluation Version watermark.
If you can find and download version “5.7.0.5 (2/22/2023)” the watermark is not there for me, a registered user until 2024 whose registration also suddenly expired on 7-8-2023 @ 1:46 am CST. I had to go through all my saved Blue Iris update backups to find one without the watermark… C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Updates if you have your computer set to “Retain a copy of the update package” under Blue Iris settings “Check for News and Updates.”

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
There's some good information in the FB group. Jennifer, who does support, has been posting about getting around the key expiry issue. It hasn't been working for all, though.

It sounds like having automatic updates turned off has saved you from this problem.
I was hoping I lucked out because I had updates turned off, but not sure what to expect when they get the issue resolved and I pull my first update. Or if I need to reboot BI or the PC and it wants to check the license info.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I've been able to gather, it seems those of us that never use the BI console have been immune from this issue so far. I have three BI installations and I use UI3 exclusively to view cams and footage and none of these installations are showing Eval. I log into the console maybe once every couple of months for updates and I definitely won't be doing that until this mess is fixed. Fingers crossed I didn't just jinx myself...

Reaction score
I don't mean to be alarmist but someone on the FB BI group claims they have detected suspicious activity from Singapore.

As well, they say a virus scanner (didn't day which one) detects a virus in the latest version.

I cannot speak to the veracity of this claim.View attachment 167352

View attachment 167353
I've seen similar accusations elsewhere, but I've scanned the BI host folder with Microsoft Defender and found nothing, nor is there any sign of suspicious activity on my machine or network - this has been echoed by several posters in other forums who've installed and scanned the latest BI .exe and found no issues.

I've also sent each .exe and .dll in my BI folder to Virustotal, which again returns nothing of concern.

So unless this is a zero-day, nation-state level hack, I see no credible evidence of the BI program being compromised.

Last edited:

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I've been able to gather, it seems those of us that never use the BI console have been immune from this issue so far. I have three BI installations and I use UI3 exclusively to view cams and footage and none of these installations are showing Eval. I log into the console maybe once every couple of months for updates and I definitely won't be doing that until this mess is fixed. Fingers crossed I didn't just jinx myself...
My console is typically open, but it may only ping upon loading and not actively while running.

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the BI console daily and as of now have not experienced any issues. I do have auto updates turned off. Strange how some are seeing issues but others are not.

dangit

n3wb
Reaction score
We have 10 installations and all are showing the "Blue Iris Evaluation Version". I'm glad to see we're not the only one having these issues.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
My console stays open and I'm still good. I have updates turned off and I did block all WAN access from the BI server yesterday though.

VinceG

n3wb
Reaction score
That didn’t work so I restored from a backup and that only works for a few minutes then it goes back into evaluation mode.
If you can find and download version “5.7.0.5 (2/22/2023)” the watermark is not there for me, a registered user until 2024 whose registration also suddenly expired on 7-8-2023 @ 1:46 am CST. I had to go through all my saved Blue Iris update backups to find one without the watermark… C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\Updates if you have your computer set to “Retain a copy of the update package” under Blue Iris settings “Check for News and Updates.”

brcarls

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 installations and normally only use UI3. One of them went into Evaluation mode this morning. I re-entered keys (which seems risky since the license server was apparently hacked, so re-entering keys could just be giving the hacker your keys.)

I've permanently blocked all network access to blue iris other than the UI3 port....

A one man show like Blue Iris should not have a dead man switch that disables all of the software his customers purchased if he gets hit by a car. Trust has been broken and I'm not sure where we go from here. Maybe he could regain our trust by putting the source code or a crack in escrow to be released if the license servers go down....

opus too

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm running 5.7.6.8 stable version and had the evaluation message yesterday. Today I had to enter the original license number and then latest upgrade number to get back to normal. The same for 2 installs. Looks good now.

Last edited:

frankheon

n3wb
Reaction score
I had the watermark and license issue message appear on June 29. My entire system is offline and the only internet communication through PFsense is for email alerts or VPN for the app. I had been running since 2019 without issue. other that back then, it installed a version just slightly ahead of what I had been paying for but all was good since and I never subsequently updated it further. Then on june 29, I got hit somehow with a licence violation and eval watermark. As I could not find the original install file for the version build I had paid for, I had to buy a new license. Now I see everyone getting similar situation. Could BI use the APP to validate key and license version over the internet even if NVR is offline and that most people having the issue is because they updated to a version outside of theire subscription period?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be alarmist but someone on the FB BI group claims they have detected suspicious activity from Singapore.

As well, they say a virus scanner (didn't day which one) detects a virus in the latest version.

I cannot speak to the veracity of this claim.View attachment 167352

View attachment 167353
This is 100% complete bullshit.. this is a result of an inexperienced user not understanding what is happening with his own PC... Have uploaded the file to virus total and posted the results which is zero.... It was likely flagged by his antivirus because it has no reputation as it is a newer file.... This is common...
That user is simply having his ports scanned as anyone who exposes their BI server does. It happens every day. We see posts about this all the time. Just another incompetent fool who doesnt know what they are looking at. I am personally running that EXE on my primary pc with no problems.

Last edited:

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I have 2 installations and normally only use UI3. One of them went into Evaluation mode this morning. I re-entered keys (which seems risky since the license server was apparently hacked, so re-entering keys could just be giving the hacker your keys.)

I've permanently blocked all network access to blue iris other than the UI3 port....

A one man show like Blue Iris should not have a dead man switch that disables all of the software his customers purchased if he gets hit by a car. Trust has been broken and I'm not sure where we go from here. Maybe he could regain our trust by putting the source code or a crack in escrow to be released if the license servers go down....
How do you know that the BI license server was hacked?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The latest blueiris.exe (5.7.7.18) from my Blue Iris 5 directory does trigger 8/70 on virustotal. Not an installer or update exe. This is the program exe. This does not necessarily mean it is malicious.

View attachment 167359
I uploaded the program file 5.7.7.2 from may and 5.7.2.4 from march with two positive results each by smaller labs. This just highlights that when something goes wrong folks search for problems which were present all along then come to improper conclusions.

Reaction score
I uploaded the program file 5.7.7.2 from may and 5.7.2.4 from march with two positive results each by smaller labs. This just highlights that when something goes wrong folks search for problems which were present all along then come to improper conclusions.
False positives amongst the smaller labs are far from uncommon too, I've had Microsoft update files downloaded directly from the Microsoft website flag as malicious on Virustotal.

Reaction score
I had to re-up my support license slightly early to fix it. New code straightened mine out. I locked my version to 5.7.6.8 (latest stable as of this post) for now, until things get ironed out.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
BiUpdateHelper only backs up Blue Iris registry settings (stuff you configure in Blue Iris's GUI). If you configure something via CPAI's web interface, it will not be in the Blue Iris registry backup. Your saved alerts are also not backed up as those are not stored in the registry.
Ok thanks.

I wasn't sure if everything would still function if BI was rolled back including registry but CPAI stayed the same.