blueirissoftware.com website down (2023.07.07)

perfect777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Still can't get my renewal/maintenance license to activate. E-mailed support earlier and still no response...

BI keeps telling me to input an activation code that I can't seem to acquire.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong? I have my e-mails with BI when I bought my original license and the renewal. Neither works or gets me to a screen that I can do anything.

Reaction score
now I am unable to log in to mycommerce , it says my login is incorrect but I use Avast password manger and never had a problem.

this is what I have in my saved email

This delivery refers to the subscription with order number 63, dated 23-AUG-2019 . The next delivery will take place on 11-JAN-2024.
Duration: unlimited
Billing period: every 12 months

Total price for the next subscription period: 59.95 USD
License key for unlocking the product
The product is licensed to "coldair".
Please note that you will not receive a delivery by postal mail.
Your license key for activating the product:
ZQK-----VAV

so yes I did save my emails and no I can not activate that machine which is the one in my signature

perfect777

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
now I am unable to log in to mycommerce , it says my login is incorrect but I use Avast password manger and never had a problem.

this is what I have in my saved email

This delivery refers to the subscription with order number 63, dated 23-AUG-2019 . The next delivery will take place on 11-JAN-2024.
Duration: unlimited
Billing period: every 12 months

Total price for the next subscription period: 59.95 USD
License key for unlocking the product
The product is licensed to "coldair".
Please note that you will not receive a delivery by postal mail.
Your license key for activating the product:
ZQK-----VAV
so yes I did save my emails and no I can not activate that machine which is the one in my signature
Same! I have several e-mails (both my original license and my renewal) and neither seem to work.

The original license doesn't let me even click "next". The renewal license requires an activation that I seemingly don't have...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone, relax! :cool:
Waaaay back in post #125 2 1131 AM is a post from Admin, @Mike :

And another @ 3:50 PM:

Reaction score
Everyone, relax! :cool:
Waaaay back in post #125 2 1131 AM is a post from Admin, @Mike :

And another @ 3:50 PM:
It's now 3 days later, and one probably-unnecessary-extended-support-plan-renewal later, and I still can't get my BlueIris install back into an activated state, and their web site is still completely borked. I emailed support about my inability to activate the extended support renewal code I just bought (because the software told me I needed to, which kinda surprised me because it didn't seem to be time to need to do that again, but whatever), and I haven't gotten any response.

This is absolutely inexcusable for a paid piece of commercial software! I've been a loyal BlueIris customer for years, but this has seriously got me motivated to look for any reasonable non-commercial alternative that may be out there. The entire point of a security camera system is to be always on, always watching, 100% reliable... and for the software to fail so catastrophically because of a company web site outage is a huge red flag of terrible software design and extremely little forethought given to customer uptime and reliability.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's now 3 days later, and one probably-unnecessary-extended-support-plan-renewal later, and I still can't get my BlueIris install back into an activated state, and their web site is still completely borked. I emailed support about my inability to activate the extended support renewal code I just bought (because the software told me I needed to, which kinda surprised me because it didn't seem to be time to need to do that again, but whatever), and I haven't gotten any response.

This is absolutely inexcusable for a paid piece of commercial software! I've been a loyal BlueIris customer for years, but this has seriously got me motivated to look for any reasonable non-commercial alternative that may be out there. The entire point of a security camera system is to be always on, always watching, 100% reliable... and for the software to fail so catastrophically because of a company web site outage is a huge red flag of terrible software design and extremely little forethought given to customer uptime and reliability.
So use something else... There are plenty of free alternatives... You cannot expect a personalized response in a situation like this where there are essentially one and a half employees working there.... It's already been announced that they will be taking steps to prevent this in the future but if that's not good enough for you then try the 50 plus options out there paid an unpaid...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And yet many people had no issues because they took the precautions of not allowing BI to check for updates...

All the complainers, have you never had your ISP or electric go out for days? At least in this case, a watermark and it still continue is better than no power and the entire system won't run.

bjzy

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking forward to the system coming back on-line. I really love my Blue Iris.

That being said, is there any thought being given to a fully transparent incident report? You have a highly technical user base who would be happy to donate their expertise towards making things more robust after the system is operational again.

Openly documenting/sharing the technical details of what happened followed by the corrective items would go a long way towards helping customers know this is being taken seriously and won’t happen again.

One person shop or not, I think everyone agrees there are opportunities for improvements on many fronts here. Blue Iris has grown to a point where it should not be hobbled by a server failure like this. Thx

Reaction score

Same here- mine kicked off 2 months early so I paid for an annual extension - then it went into eval so I realized after I paid for 12 months more that it was 2 months too soon (5/23) - sure hope they have backups because this is a long time to restore a daily backup.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Nope, can't find it.........
I think this site might be the one that can show you your purchase and probably the key...i have 4 licenses some of which i have let lapse.....isnt this the site that mails your Blue Iris Extended maintenance and support key?

1689060966620.png
1689061056633.png

Last edited:

NotFefris

n3wb
Reaction score
i get a choice of like 5 certificates now with the site... not planning on picking any of them. i guess its still borked?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I manage 18 different installations and I've complained several times that the renew emails that get sent out don't give me a registration number or any usable info on which site were dealing with. Now I have been able to get a few back up with the original reg # but they revert to expired. I don't hake the renewal codes for each because of what I said above.
This is a huge bag of snakes now. They should give everyone 1 year renewal from when this mess is cleared up!
So you make money from selling BI so why not actually manage the installations properly? A simple excel spreadsheet would suffice would it not yet you want BI to somehow make your life easier?

Im a single user of BI but the fact that I paid for BI and the fact that a license key is required to activate made me realise that the key needs to be saved, so it’s saved in my email, on my phone as a secure note, saved on my main desktop PC (not the BI PC) and on my NAS!

rbc1225

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, I actually built the Blue Iris Software website. Their hard drive crashed and we lost the site, but I am currently rebuilding it as we speak. In the meantime, you can download the software here - Blue Iris Software Updates

No one needs to worry about losing keys, they did not lose those. The worst that will happen is your software will go into evaluation mode and you may have to re-enter the key or request support resets it for you. Blue Iris has also evolved past a 1-man show, there are things in place to ensure their customers are never left in the dark. This was a freak thing that affected the backups as well. We will be creating an off-site backup system as well.

No one needs to worry, Ken and I are on it and Ken is not going anywhere! He cares about his customers and his software, he's one of the nicest guys I know.

I will post an update when I have one
Thanks for the update Mike.

brcarls

n3wb
Reaction score
All the complainers, have you never had your ISP or electric go out for days? At least in this case, a watermark and it still continue is better than no power and the entire system won't run.
Yes.. I work from home and have multiple generators and an unlimited hotspot. Anything to avoid going in to the office!

I had no idea that Blue Iris included a remote kill switch, so I did not know that I needed a backup plan if Blue Iris's website goes down.

Now I'm tinkering with Frigate and ZoneMinder....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I had no idea that Blue Iris included a remote kill switch, so I did not know that I needed a backup plan if Blue Iris's website goes down.
Here's a suggestion for your "backup plan"....:cool:
___

Hopefully there were, in fact, lessons learned here, not only by Perspective Software but by the users of Blue Iris!

How many of you have bank accounts, credit cards or organization/institution memberships and have no records, no idea of your account numbers and/or password? I doubt very few, if any, of you. So why would you not keep a record of your license number / activation key for a product you paid for? Especially when we all agree how important it is having our surveillance server(s) up and running uninterrupted, 24/7/365?

I understand one would not think such a situation would occur but as they say, "shit happens" as we all know. I hate reviewing every little charge, every little line on 3 credit card, 4 bank account statements and 4 gas, water, electricity, sewer/garbage bills every month but having found mistakes and fraudulent charges before I don't trust them to be infallible.

All 5 if my BI installs ran without incident during this process because they are not allowed to update automatically. That recommendation has been mentioned countless times, over and over ad nauseam in this forum and apparently many of you failed to read that or if you did, you did not feel it was important or you just plain ignored it.

If any of my installs required a license key I have them all at hand, as it is so very easy....in BI's "Settings" => "About" tab, just click on the "Email support" button at the lower right and it's copied to your clipboard so you can paste it into Notepad, Word, etc. and save to a place where you can easily find it if needed.

Don't misunderstand me here.....I would agree that Perspective may have dropped the ball here and I'm pretty sure some good will come of it on their part. I know I learned something from it......I put of copy of my keys and codes on a flash drive!

Jim I.

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's a suggestion for your "backup plan"....:cool:
___

Hopefully there were, in fact, lessons learned here, not only by Perspective Software but by the users of Blue Iris!

How many of you have bank accounts, credit cards or organization/institution memberships and have no records, no idea of your account numbers and/or password? I doubt very few, if any, of you. So why would you not keep a record of your license number / activation key for a product you paid for? Especially when we all agree how important it is having our surveillance server(s) up and running uninterrupted, 24/7/365?

I understand one would not think such a situation would occur but as they say, "shit happens" as we all know. I hate reviewing every little charge, every little line on 3 credit card, 4 bank account statements and 4 gas, water, electricity, sewer/garbage bills every month but having found mistakes and fraudulent charges before I don't trust them to be infallible.

All 5 if my BI installs ran without incident during this process because they are not allowed to update automatically. That recommendation has been mentioned countless times, over and over ad nauseam in this forum and apparently many of you failed to read that or if you did, you did not feel it was important or you just plain ignored it.

If any of my installs required a license key I have them all at hand, as it is so very easy....in BI's "Settings" => "About" tab, just click on the "Email support" button at the lower right and it's copied to your clipboard so you can paste it into Notepad, Word, etc. and save to a place where you can easily find it if needed.

Don't misunderstand me here.....I would agree that Perspective may have dropped the ball here and I'm pretty sure some good will come of it on their part. I know I learned something from it......I put of copy of my keys and codes on a flash drive!
Good info. I've always kept a simple spreadsheet with all my software license codes, going back as far as when Windows 3.1 and Lotus Wordperfect were around. lol

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
May have? How about 100% shit the bed.

And I did that when I was given the code back in 2019.

I have auto updates turned off yet I still have all these issues. I never update unless it's 100% necessary. I need remote access because I travel, so my server is connected to the internet. I am forced to update to fix this absolute nonsense. What's even more fun, I am half way across the country trying to fix this remotely. I am beyond angry.

And this morning, my web ui stopped working. Is it because I am still in evaluation? Is it because the website is still borked? Will I ever find out?
I am just glad I wasn’t away/abroad when this happened

I predict an update to BI coming soon as from what happened it looks like when it failed to talk to the BI backend licensing server it ignored whatever status it had before and decided that the system wasn’t licensed.

Big question is how exactly will people who are out of support get this update, I think the answer might well be they won’t as it’ll be catch 22 in that without valid support they can’t update but without the update then the old previous logic will still be in the older versions of BI.