Brand newbie

jsholtz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm brand new to all things security cameras. I've got a little tech background building my own computers and such. I'm building a house (about to start framing) and want to go ahead and wire things up right for putting a camera system in. Concurrently, I'm building a media server to run Plex and house all my pictures/videos/movies. Just looking to pick up some knowledge, insight, and advice from people who have been there and done that!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Get some quality cat5e or cat6 cable for the cameras. Make sure it is rated for in-wall installation, and uses solid copper conductors, not CCA (copper-clad aluminum).

You won't need better than cat5e for cameras, but if you are building the house then this is your opportunity to cheaply run network cables anywhere it could conceivably be wanted in the future. You should do it for more than just cameras. If it was me I would want at least cat6, maybe cat6a for future 10 gigabit support, running from the network closet to most rooms of the house, and also any locations that would be good for wifi access points (the middle of a large ceiling for example). If any of the cable paths will have to be near much electrical wiring, use shielded cable or better yet run fiber optics instead. Fiber optics don't carry electrical current, and therefore AC power wiring can't induce a current in it like it would with unshielded twisted pair. You can always use more than one PoE switch in a camera network, so you don't necessarily need to run copper ethernet cable from all the cameras back to the same location.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm brand new to all things security cameras. I've got a little tech background building my own computers and such. I'm building a house (about to start framing) and want to go ahead and wire things up right for putting a camera system in. Concurrently, I'm building a media server to run Plex and house all my pictures/videos/movies. Just looking to pick up some knowledge, insight, and advice from people who have been there and done that!
Hi Jsholtz!

Sweet a new house!!! Start planning on fun wiring! ( a great time before the drywall goes up )

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

FYI - some notes from another site I've posted to

New Construction additional notes:

• Before the drywall goes up is the most affordable time to add wiring. Pull wires to all locations you may use - better to over do it now than under do it.
  • Pull N+1+ cat5e/cat6 wires to each location, N=the number you plan to use, pull at least one extra line.
  • Remember to add wiring for alarms, extra electrical sockets to support your security cameras, media center, data center ( that's where your switch, NVR, NAS will be ), as well as the front entrance, wifi access points and routers, voice control units like Echo Dot, speaker wiring,..
  • Pull electrical and several cat5e/cat6 lines to your front gate area. ( 2 sets of underground conduit is best - one for electrical the other data/cat5e/cat6 )
  • Plan for the option to install video intercom / video doorbell by the front door and gate. ( example of such a product http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/pro...-7391.html ) Plan for future upgrades as this tech is changing quickly.
  • Have the electricians install METAL boxes - I have seen too many subcontractors and later tenants break plastic gang boxes.
  • Inspect the job site regularly - even daily, Inspect for straightness and squares, many subcontractors measure only once...

Cat 5e / Cat 6 ethernet cable:
DO NOT buy CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum) wire - it is a fire hazard
  • Recommended that you buy buik cat5e/cat6 cable and not use the cable which comes in the kit, as if you need to return it you will have to also return the cables.
  • Recommended vendor for bulk Cat 5e / Cat 6 cable is monoprice, they often have sales during the weekend.
  • Either Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable will work with these cameras. Normally Cat6 cable is a bit thicker due to the plastic separator in the cable. Also Cat 6 cable often has wires slightly thicker than what you see in Cat 5e cables. While a thicker copper wire means less voltage loss over the run, it may not be significant for most of us. Note the spec for ethernet and PoE is 100M / 328 feet.
  • If you are pulling multiple wires through 1/2" EMT pipes or other tight spots it maybe better to use cat 5e.
  • If you are only buying one bulk box of cable you may want to get cat6 in case you would like to wire up other locations.
  • There are numerous types of Cat 5e / Cat 6 cable, you want to get Solid unshielded cable, either for in-wall installation or plenum rated cable ( better for multistory buildings and business type buildings ).
  • If you plan to have the cables exposed to direct UV get a UV rated cable, or place the cable in conduit. Otherwise the cable will degrade over time.
  • Also get RJ45 ends which are rated for solid wires, as well as a crimping tool.
  • Remember to cut the cable longer than you think you will need, and leave some extra length in case you need to adjust the location a bit.
  • Recommend pulling N+1 or more cables to each location, where N = number of cameras you plan to have. This way if you decide to add an additional PoE or ethernet device nearby you can in the future.
  • If your attic is too short to easily work in recommending using Grey PVC pipe 3/4"+ and pushing the sections to the locations you want to run the cat5e/cat6 cabling to.
  • Have a friend help you pull the cabling so you can reduce snags and knots which may cause breakages. Also remember not to pull the cable with too much force as it is more delicate than electrical cables that you may be used to pulling.
  • You can use the pull tools which electricians use to help with the wiring pulls.
  • Unshielded vs shielded cable - typically you can avoid using shielded cable, just try to keep the cable 1 foot or more from electrical lines, florescent lights, and electrical motors. If you must pass by something which produces EMF / electrical interference you can use a section of EMT pipe in that location to pass the cat5e/cat6 cable through.
  • Thieves have been known to cut telcom cables to houses as well as cat5e/cat6 to cameras - if you feel the need to protect your cables do consider putting them in conduit or run the lines inside the wall. ( Metal EMT works well in most cases, in humid environments you may want to consider less strong non-metal conduit. )

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and more notes ;-)

Recommended Locations for outside cameras:
( For modest sized houses cameras can cover multiple areas - example one of the front of the house cameras can cover parking area, expect to use 6-8 cameras for a modest size home. )
2x for front of house
1-2x covering car parking area if outside
1-2x covering front entrance
2x covering side of house ( one on each side )
2x covering back of house
1-2x covering each entrance
1-2x covering sidewalk / street in an attempt to ID vehicles ( you may need a better "zoom" for this camera )

Recommended - optional - locations for indoor cameras: ( If wiring a new house add cat5e/cat6 connections even if you decide not to include cameras )
1x camera per each entrance
1x camera in the garage
1x cameras hidden facing out from the TV/media center area at face level