Brands with a strong mobile experience?

mikefila

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking to see what's out there as far as a commercial recorders and their companion apps. I've looked at dahua and hikvision but find their event review lacking.

Mainly that the events show only a generic snapshot of the camera view, rather than a snapshot of what caused the event. If there is a way to enable this on dahua or hikvision, that would be great, my local reps couldn't help.

As reference unifi's app show the event trigger. Is there anything else, non subscription service, that offers this on a mobile app?

Attachments

mikefila

n3wb
Reaction score
I'd much prefer an out of the box solution. Setting up a server doesn't quite balance for a seemingly trivial feature. Are the options really that limited?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes because the better cameras focus on camera quality and not too much on app quality because many will go to a paid VMS solution like BI., while consumer cloud based systems focus on the app experience instead of camera quality as they want to continue the subscription model.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Many of us using Blue Iris also utilize AI triggers in the cams but also pass the triggered event to Blue Iris enabled Code Project or DeepStack AI. The AI verified alert then uses push notifications to mobile device. Those push notifications will include a snapshot of exactly what triggered the alert.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And some of us get the push snapshot we need with camera AI thru BI without the need to send to CodeProject.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As reference unifi's app show the event trigger. Is there anything else, non subscription service, that offers this on a mobile app?
check Imou life app which works with dahua NVR / cams. It has UI which is very similar to unifi protect (they copied many ideas from unifi

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd much prefer an out of the box solution. Setting up a server doesn't quite balance for a seemingly trivial feature. Are the options really that limited?
Hi @mikefila

Are the options really that limited?

yes.

basically there are 2 types of businesses selling security cameras ..

1) The traditional, sell you an on-premise box for a basically a one time fee.

2) Sell you a monthly subscription for a cloud dependent product.

Typically #2 type of business does better on mobile app development as they are getting money each month and need to keep the customers paying.

#1 type of business normally sells better cameras, but does not want to put much money into monthly expenses as they do not get the monthly subscription revenue.

Thus, as customer's we have no perfect choices in this ..

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
look at qnap and synology - they both have vms options with their nas....careful to understand the limitations - # of cameras fps etc of each box

FYI setting up a server is easy and allows you to switch between solutions using the same hardware. Nothing is plug and play....if you want that but ring cams and deal with the shit quality..

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
As previously mentioned, you don't have to send alerts through AI on Blue Iris. But, I literally took it that the request was for a snapshot that shows what triggered the alert. Big orange rectangle tells you quickly what triggered it and what it was.

1703653722833.png

1703653838444.png

1703653880483.png

alecz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Isn't the Blue Iris app crap? I haven't bought it so I'm not sure, but the reviews are not that good.

@Sybertiger what solution is that? What camera, mobile app, NVR/software?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Isn't the Blue Iris app crap? I haven't bought it so I'm not sure, but the reviews are not that good.

At the moment, I'm not going to call the BI mobile app crap. Let's just say it leaves a lot to be desired. I have it on my phone but this was before UI3 became the robust GUI it is today. I very rarely use the BI app but it does do one thing you can't do with UI3....two way audio communication with a speaker/mic enabled cam. It's not fancy but it works. It's simplex not duplex so it's kind of like using a walkie talkie. I use the BI app on rare occasions when I talk to my mom (500 miles away, stroke/dementia) via a speaker/mic camera we have pointed at her.

My signature file shows all the hardware I have. Regarding the push notifications that is using the PushOver app.

1706545408899.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Many of the reviews are people that don't know how to set it up LOL.

But yes, many find the free UI3 as part of BI to be better than the paid app. The only thing the paid app has over UI3 is the ability to do two-way walkie talkie type communication if your cameras support it and Push notifications.

Most that have two-way talk cameras end up never using them for that feature and the Pushover app is better.

alecz

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DMSS app is the mobile app for Dahua NVR.
This isn't accurate and isn't answering my question.

The DMSS app is the mobile app for Dahua, but it can be used with more than their NVR.
It can also be used with their cameras directly (without needing an NVR) and other products such as IVSS, VTOs and access devices.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This isn't accurate and isn't answering my question.

The DMSS app is the mobile app for Dahua, but it can be used with more than their NVR.
It can also be used with their cameras directly (without needing an NVR) and other products such as IVSS, VTOs and access devices.
So why ask a question you already have the answer to?