bricked Hikvision NVR (DS-7716N/16P)

MasJoko

n3wb
Reaction score
had the same issue with my nvr DS-7216HQHI-F1/N (bricked after firmware upgrade). everytime it boot, only stuck at "embedded net dvr + hikvision logo"
i've tried the tftp method, i plugged in my laptop directly to nvr, with my laptop ip is 192.0.0.128.
and also i've tried pinging 192.0.0.64 -t from my laptop, but after nvr reboot. it got replies for around 8-9 times, then time out again.

the tftpserver apps is not changing from initalized. i've already turn off my laptop's firewall. is there anything i'm missing? thanks

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
is there anything i'm missing?
Presumably you have the digicap.dav firmware in the same folder as the tftp updater?
Despite Hikvision's instruction to do so, it's best to connect both NVR and PC to a a switch or router, not direct.

If that does not work, you will need to arrange to connect to the NVR serial console.
To do that you need -
A 4-pin JST ZH 1.5mm wired connector, usually sold on 10-packs.
A serial TTL to USB convertor, usually a PL2303HX-based version.

MasJoko

n3wb
Reaction score
Presumably you have the digicap.dav firmware in the same folder as the tftp updater?
Despite Hikvision's instruction to do so, it's best to connect both NVR and PC to a a switch or router, not direct.

If that does not work, you will need to arrange to connect to the NVR serial console.
To do that you need -
A 4-pin JST ZH 1.5mm wired connector, usually sold on 10-packs.
A serial TTL to USB convertor, usually a PL2303HX-based version.
yes i have the digicap.dav in the same folder as the tftpserv apps

i've also tried with 1 router + laptop, the result is the same with direct.. about 6-7 ping reply, then timeout. then i tried 1 router + switch + my pc... it could not even ping 192.0.0.64.

i see this usb ttl converter in my local marketplace. is it compatible?

and i notice there is serial adapter on the back, rs-232. can i use those instead?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
then i tried 1 router + switch + my pc... it could not even ping 192.0.0.64.
That should be able to ping the NVR OK, if the PC still has the fixed 192.0.0.128 IP address.

and i notice there is serial adapter on the back, rs-232. can i use those instead?
That might be possible, if the serial interface also operates as the serial console.
But I don't know for sure as I'm unfamiliar with the DS-7216HQHI-F1/N
If the interface is RS232, be careful not to use a serial TTL convertor on it, they are not compatible.

i see this usb ttl converter in my local marketplace. is it compatible?
That does look like one that would work OK with the usual serial console connector that is normally on the main board.

MasJoko

n3wb
Reaction score
That should be able to ping the NVR OK, if the PC still has the fixed 192.0.0.128 IP address.

That might be possible, if the serial interface also operates as the serial console.
But I don't know for sure as I'm unfamiliar with the DS-7216HQHI-F1/N
If the interface is RS232, be careful not to use a serial TTL convertor on it, they are not compatible.

That does look like one that would work OK with the usual serial console connector that is normally on the main board.
yes i have the ip set as static in my laptop and pc

so i dont have to buy a 4pin jst zh 1.5mm connector? or is it still necessary?

Last edited:

MasJoko

n3wb
Reaction score
That's the connector that is usually needed to attach to the main board.
If the RS232 outlet works OK, there would be no need for it.
my mistakes, i thought it was rs-232 but it was vga. all it have in the back is rs-485
i manage to get my hands on a 4pin 1.5mm jst connector, which is like this

and i managed to put in the only possible header on the mainboard (lower left of the pic) and have a really snug fit

i'm still waiting for those usb adapter to come..

MasJoko

n3wb
Reaction score
That's the connector that is usually needed to attach to the main board.
If the RS232 outlet works OK, there would be no need for it.
i managed to get these, any ideas on what to do next? like soldering which color cable to which pins on the usb

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
like soldering which color cable to which pins on the usb
Leave the Green wire unconnected, that's +5v
Connect the Red wire to GND on the USB convertor.
Connect the Yellow wire to TX on the USB convertor.
Connect the Black wire to RX on the USB convertor.

Using a serial terminal such as PuTTY Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70)
with baud=115200 8 bits no parity
Connect cable to the DVR.
Power on the NVR and observe the serial console output to determine the cause of the problem.
If you interrupt the bootloader there should be some commands for firmware updating.

But you do need to have the correct firmware.

MasJoko

n3wb
Reaction score
Leave the Green wire unconnected, that's +5v
Connect the Red wire to GND on the USB convertor.
Connect the Yellow wire to TX on the USB convertor.
Connect the Black wire to RX on the USB convertor.

Using a serial terminal such as PuTTY Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70)
with baud=115200 8 bits no parity
Connect cable to the DVR.
Power on the NVR and observe the serial console output to determine the cause of the problem.
If you interrupt the bootloader there should be some commands for firmware updating.

But you do need to have the correct firmware.
thank you very much sir, followed your tips and other.. turns out my NVR is working again normal.
all its left is "always offline" platform access, and i cannot remote it outside my home. will try again finding the tutorial..

M34NM0f0

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Alistair
You seem to know what you are talking about on here. We upgraded firmware on a DS-7732NI-I4 and now the username has no dropdown "admin" or anything. Been trying to PUTTY into it using a USB to TTL cable using the black as GND and green and white as RX/TX. I am just getting garbled messages on the terminal. I've tried reversing the RX/TX to no avail. There are 5 pins on the board for RS232 which is what I am trying to connect to.
seems middle pin is GND and the other two below are RX/TX
TIA

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Been trying to PUTTY into it using a USB to TTL cable
Doesn't that device have a DB9 RS232 connector on the back panel?
There are 5 pins on the board for RS232
Is this on the board connector from which a short ribbon cable goes to the back panel?

How are you connecting the USB to TTL adaptor? Is it to the back panel somehow, or to a connector on the board?
RS232 signals are quite different from Serial TTL signals and are not compatible.