Bricked !

daxmatt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi all
New on here,but hop someone can help.

I have a DS 9016-hft-st dvr/nvr.
I upgraded the fimware a few weeks back to accept my new dome cameras,all was working fine,emails,remote on ddns etc..
however i wanted to use a few analoge cameras,i selected the check boxes in the menu option for the required number,then it said system will reboot.This was the last thing it did.Now i seem to have a dead nvr.The "Embedded Net Dvr" screen comes up,then after a few seconds the screen goes blank,then scrambled,think they used to call it the death screen in the old days.After that it just keeps rebooting/looping

Is it for the bin ,or is there anything i can do.
Ive read up on tftp server,but how can i access if the dvr keeps rebooting.
Any help appreciated
Matt

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I upgraded the fimware a few weeks back
Do you know what the original firmware was?
What firmware did you update the DVR with?
Was the DVR purchased as an International or upgradeable version?

Is it for the bin ,or is there anything i can do.
If you want to determine the detail of the problem, you will have to hook up to the device serial console, usually available as a connector on the main board.
There are quite a few posts on that topic for both NVRs and cameras - search something like 'UART connection'
Ive read up on tftp server,but how can i access if the dvr keeps rebooting.
The tftp probing / updating process is handled before the main bootup phase.

daxmatt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi
thanks for reply
it was the origional firmware,not sure of the new firmware,hikvision sent me a link,which i downloaded onto a usb,i bought it 2nd hand a while ago,think its an american version.
How do i stop it looping,how would i re-install the firmware from the usb stick,,

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
it was the origional firmware,not sure of the new firmware,hikvision sent me a link,which i downloaded onto a usb,i bought it 2nd hand a while ago,think its an american version.
I don't quite follow.
Hikvision sent you a link to download firmware from, and that's what you updated the DVR with?
Or was it the original firmware?
The device label may provide a clue as to the original firmware version.

If you supplied them with a serial number, they would likely have declined support if it had not been sourced from an 'authorised reseller', so that's a good sign.
Presumably the link was to a Hikvision public website. Normally the link gives an indication of the version.
Can you share the link?

How do i stop it looping,how would i re-install the firmware from the usb stick,,
I believe you'll need to try the tftp updater to re-install any firmware.

daxmatt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ive just managed to connect it to hyper terminal and i can see it booting up.Its scrolling through lots of stuff that means nothing to me,but there is a line that says "hit ctrl+u" to stop auto boot.

will post a pic,and have a play

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive just managed to connect it to hyper terminal
That's promising then.
I don't recall how much of a scrollback you get on hyperterminal - but very popular is 'PuTTY' from chiark
A large (and configurable) scrollback that you can copy (top left menu) and paste into notepad or similar.
And paste in to the 'code' tags here, via the '+' in the edit menu at the top of your post.

The Control-U will get you to the bootloader recovery options.
But first you need to find out what it does not like.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the serial console access that can provide some recovery actions, given the right version of firmware.
What firmware are you trying to load?

But - a suggestion:
I think it would be really useful to determine why the device is not booting. You can see this if you do not interrupt the bootloader.
There will be information towards the end of the console log that should be helpful.

Also - you (and forum readers) will find it much easier to use a terminal program such as PuTTY (Download PuTTY: latest release (0.70)).
Then you can copy text from the terminal scrollback into notepad or similar, edit / annotate if needed and add that via code tags (use the + selection in the edit bar in the post) in your forum posts.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For the bootloader / serial console update method, where you have most control - you need a standard tftp server, such as this one that I've used a lot : TFTPD32 : an opensource IPv6 ready TFTP server/service for windows : TFTP server

But as I've indicated - I'd strongly suggest figuring out what the problem is before applying any more unknown firmware.

Do you know what the original firmware was?
What firmware did you update the DVR with?
Was the DVR purchased as an International or upgradeable version?

daxmatt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all your info,I'll download your tftp now,I'm at my wits end with it

Here's the loader screen:-

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like you have loaded firmware that does not fully match the hardware, perhaps coded to use more RAM, for example.

Again - it would be so much easier to be able to simply read the text, as per my suggestions.

daxmatt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
back again.....
is there anyway to test the hik tool tftp server.I can ping the pc from another on 192.0.0.128,and get a responce from the sending pc,but nothing shows up on the tftp screen,just says"192.0.0.128 initilsed"

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
is there anyway to test the hik tool tftp server
Why do you need that when you have access to the serial console?
The cleanest and easiest way to do the firmware update is to interrupt the bootup and tell it the address of the tftp server.
On your first screenshot there are 2 possible errors :
If the PC IP address is set to 192.0.0.128 (this is the required address when using the tftp updater in the normal way, not the serial console) you can't give the NVR update program the same address. Suggest using 192.0.0.64
The NVR update program is complaining that digicap.mav does not exist.
So either access to the tftp server is broken (possible reason above) or the firmware file required is not in the same folder as the tftp server program.