Budget Dahua Cams or china alternatives under $100?

e97

n3wb
Reaction score
@amcrestt wouldnt respond here even though they are a sponsor or to my requests for a copy of the firmware when my camera bugged out after a month of multiple requests. There's no support from them at all so I'd return it.
Thanks for sharing, otherwise I'd be waiting for them to help! Next time I'll make a backup of the flash when I'm adding the microSD card.

I'm building a custom firmware that combines the quickness of the Dahua firmware, the MP4 saving capability of the Amcrest firmware, disables all cloud "features" and adds save to SMB/CIFS.

Safetyfirst

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, otherwise I'd be waiting for them to help! Next time I'll make a backup of the flash when I'm adding the microSD card.

I'm building a custom firmware that combines the quickness of the Dahua firmware, the MP4 saving capability of the Amcrest firmware, disables all cloud "features" and adds save to SMB/CIFS.
Your welcome. I contacted them on the forum and directly via chat and phone on their website. Even their own tech support said they didn't see it listed. If you get it working let me know I'll probably try it eventually.

e97

n3wb
Reaction score
Well.. I just found out Dahua and Hikvision supply cameras to the Chinese military for use in Chinese concentration camps so I will be returning my camera and not buying or supporting any of their products. source: Security Camera Compliance with the 2019 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) Uyghurs - Wikipedia

I'll spend a couple bucks more and not support modern day nazis..

Anyone got any recommendations, I'm interested in this : CUBE | PINE64 but it looks like they are switching out the Sony sensor for a OV5640 so I'm concerned about poor to no low light performance.An opensource 4K/60 with Starlight varifocal and ptz in a compact form factor for $149 is my dream.... but I'll settle for 4K/30 Starlite fixed

e97

n3wb
Reaction score
Better return your toaster, refrigerator, Iphone, and most any audio device for starters
Why?

My toaster is made in USA. My LG refrigerator is made in South Korea, and my iPhone is made by Foxconn in various Chinese factories. Apple vets their suppliers for genocide and won't work with them, read their Supplier guidelines. As far as I know Foxconn hasn't done anything like that : iPhone maker distances itself from ‘unauthorised’ recruitment agency

Anyway, I'll send Mr. Tim Cook and email about it and if I don't like his reponse I won't buy anymore iPhone.

Do you have anything useful to add?

e97

n3wb
Reaction score
My point, Sparky, was that many of the things you use every day are made in part or in whole in China.

Let us know what Mr Cook says..
Are all Germans nazis? No. Some Germans protected and assisted Jews escape nazis like Anne Frank..

Just because something is made in China doesn't mean it actively or passively assists in genocide so your blanket statement is pointless.

If you truly care, you can email Tim Cook yourself, his email is public. If more people email him its likely to have a greater impact.

Have a nice day and stay safe.

e97

n3wb
Reaction score
If you actually believe that Foxconn doesn't exploit their workers, I have a nice bridge, complete with a toll plaza, that you can but cheap.
Curious how you got from "Foxconn doesn't assist in genocide" to "Foxconn doesn't exploit their workers" ?

Why work for someone and get paid $100 if you could cut out the middleman and get paid $1000?
Because you don't have the connections, capital, knowledge, etc or you simply don't want to => all companies exploit their workers to various degrees

ya'll need to go back to school..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
All companies exploit their workers, yes to one degree or another. The question is how much are they exploited by Foxconn versus how you would exploit those same workers? Do you seriously believe that Foxconn offers an 8 hour work day, paid sick leave, paid vacation, and doesn't demand work output levels or you're out the door immediately with no excuses or hearings? You're the one that needs to go to school called the real world.

Reaction score
my iPhone is made by Foxconn in various Chinese factories. Apple vets their suppliers for genocide and won't work with them, read their Supplier guidelines.
Sorry, but I just could not continue reading this dribble without finally posting something.

Do you not know that Apple/Foxconn supplies cell phones to the Chinese military? Do you suppose those phone are for use in Chinese concentration camps? This is no different that Dahua or Hik providing cams.

Apple's 'Supplier Guidelines' are just that- guidelines. Do you really think the powers at Apple give a flying fork about what is happening there? If they did, they would not have a plant there.

e97

n3wb
Reaction score
All companies exploit their workers, yes to one degree or another. The question is how much are they exploited by Foxconn versus how you would exploit those same workers? Do you seriously believe that Foxconn offers an 8 hour work day, paid sick leave, paid vacation, and doesn't demand work output levels or you're out the door immediately with no excuses or hearings? You're the one that needs to go to school called the real world.
I'm thankful for your outrage of the treatment of Foxconn workers and eager to learn what you are doing to help them.

The last time I visited and inspected a Foxconn facility was 2014 when my company was looking for mfgs. Having eaten lunch with the workers they said the conditions were better vs. other factories in the area. Having visited the other factories without personal protection equipment (PPE) and exposure to lead, I'm inclined to agree. They pay double the market rate in the area and provide housing - and death benefits to families which is why there was a high suicide rate. They since changed the terms and installed nettings. Thats what you read in the news and explains your outrage.

Is it a UAW job with obscene benefits? No. Are there lines of people clamoring at the gates to get a job at Foxconn factories - yes.

Be glad you were not born in rural china without much opportunity. I'm very thankful I was able to immigrate to the US, go to school here and start a company.

We no longer mfg in China (moved assembly to US) but we still source components from APAC region since you can't get them anywhere else.

Sorry, but I just could not continue reading this dribble without finally posting something.

Do you not know that Apple/Foxconn supplies cell phones to the Chinese military? Do you suppose those phone are for use in Chinese concentration camps? This is no different that Dahua or Hik providing cams.

Apple's 'Supplier Guidelines' are just that- guidelines. Do you really think the powers at Apple give a flying fork about what is happening there? If they did, they would not have a plant there.
If you're so upset you're indirectly supporting genocide and having trouble sleeping at night, I understand you need to lash out out but there's gotta be healthier and more constructive methods, like not buying such products instead of spewing nonsense.

Foxconn is a tier 1 contract manufacturer - they build stuff for everyone. I have no doubt they manufacturer products for the Chinese military.

I've never heard Apple makes or sells anything to the Chinese military.. thats liekly in violation of US ITAR regulations.. If you're willing to back up that claim and it withstands Apple's legal department, Justice Department and DoD.. I'll believe you.. but lets just call it what it is -- bullshit.

I simply stated my opinion and vote with my wallet. Why are you all so triggered?

My guess: you are all resellers. Don't worry you lost 1 purchase thats me! If I'm spouting nonsense why should you care?

Reaction score
If you're so upset you're indirectly supporting genocide and having trouble sleeping at night, I understand you need to lash out out but there's gotta be healthier and more constructive methods, like not buying such products instead of spewing nonsense.
But I am not upset. And I am not a reseller. But don't come on here asking for help and then bad mouthing the products that most of the experienced members recommend to other newbies.

Stop filling up my feed with your dribble.

Go somewhere else.

That is all I have to say on this subject.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
And you really think you would have gotten anything but nice answers from Foxconn employees? Yes, I have experience with the Far East as well and know what the penalties are for not toeing the party line. You're just rationalizing to suit your own purposes and boasting about your own political correctness.

e97

n3wb
Reaction score
But I am not upset. And I am not a reseller. But don't come on here asking for help and then bad mouthing the products that most of the experienced members recommend to other newbies.

Stop filling up my feed with your dribble.

Go somewhere else.

That is all I have to say on this subject.
There's an ignore button. Take your own advice and go away from my posts. and get a dictionary.

bad·mouth or bad-mouth (băd′mouth′, -mouth′) - To criticize or disparage, often spitefully or unfairly:

The camera that I tried, IP5M-T1179EW-28MM, is a sound hardware product. The software needs some work. Has good low light picture quality. I'm only bringing to light that I was going to buy more.. but not anymore because I learned they turn a blind eye to genocide and thats not cool with me.

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
yes, I am having these very fears, but if the answer is as simple as a firewall rule, I am OK with it. Why would I think my camera is exposing me any more than my cell phone these days. I simply talk about things and they suddenly become suggestions...

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have 2 of the Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE and i need one more for a location, now is there a big difference from the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE to the Amcrest IP5M-T1179EW-28MM ? Difference in quality,specs. I know price maybe a $50 between the two ip cams.

Thanks,