Budget Dahua Cams or china alternatives under $100?

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you guys, I now have 2 T1179EW and I am about to install them to finally start my journey into some decent cameras, budget but still decent, my traumas dealing with zmodo, zosi and wyze will forever live with me but at the very least i am starting to see the light :)

I have a question, recently i bought a mini ups with integrated poe injector (my main use was to keep the router going cause we have too many blackouts where i live). The poe output is 24v (0.6 amp) or 48v (0.5 amp) but i am almost certain that this a passive poe. Can i connect one of my cameras to it without damaging it?, and if so, should i use 24v or 48v?. Thanks in advance!.
Nearly all today's cameras are 48V EXCEPT for some Unifi ones - I have a couple Unifi G3's that are passive 24V. Is there a label on the camera giving the electrical specs? Anectodally, I've forgotten to change my POE switch ports from 24V passive to 48V and vice versa and have exposed cams to their "wrong" voltage and haven't ruined one yet. I had read elsewhere that supplying the incorrect voltage could damage them..... I'm knocking on wood right now.... I can't stand the 24V cams as they are a pain to remember to change my POE port settings so I don't use them anymore. I have a bunch of unifi cams gathering dust right now.

DuxKaz

n3wb
Reaction score
Nearly all today's cameras are 48V EXCEPT for some Unifi ones - I have a couple Unifi G3's that are passive 24V. Is there a label on the camera giving the electrical specs? Anectodally, I've forgotten to change my POE switch ports from 24V passive to 48V and vice versa and have exposed cams to their "wrong" voltage and haven't ruined one yet. I had read elsewhere that supplying the incorrect voltage could damage them..... I'm knocking on wood right now.... I can't stand the 24V cams as they are a pain to remember to change my POE port settings so I don't use them anymore. I have a bunch of unifi cams gathering dust right now.
Thank you, in the manual: 12V DC/PoE (802.3af), in the label: input 12v == 1A.

robpiat

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered another one of the 5MP Dahua's and placed it in an area that has alot of ambient light from landscape lighting. It's not switching to BW/IR automatically. What are some different config changes I can make to force it into night mode?

TempTag

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere on the IP5M-T1179EW firmware to set a local time server - am I missing it or is the setting not available using Amcrest firmware?

Will switching to Dahua firmware add this setting?

bdiddled

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't see anywhere on the IP5M-T1179EW firmware to set a local time server - am I missing it or is the setting not available using Amcrest firmware?

Will switching to Dahua firmware add this setting?
Dahua does have NTP settings, but do not recall if Amcrest did...I would imagine so. Try checking this location:

Setting>System>General>Date & Time

That is the location for Dahua firmware at least.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Wael

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Couple questions folks regarding the IP5M-T1179EW:

1: Are IVS features available when flashed to Dahua firmware?
2: Is the aspect ratio of this camera 4:3 or 16:9 ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jcam54

n3wb
Reaction score
Couple questions folks regarding the IP5M-T1179EW:

1: Are IVS features available when flashed to Dahua firmware?
2: Is the aspect ratio of this camera 4:3 or 16:9 ?

Thanks!
IVS features like line crossing and boundary are there after flashing.
Max res after flashing firmware is 2592x1944 with 20fps although the max bitrate is kind of low at 8192Kb/S.

WDR has been giving me issues with both the Amcrest and Dahua firmware.

Camera is totally worth it at ~$45 on Amazon. It's no 5442 though (some day I'll save up enough for one).

redman19

n3wb
Reaction score
So is this the firmware everyone is flashing to?

DH_IPC-HX25(8)XX-Molec_MultiLang_PN_V2.800.0000000.15.R.200313

derpster

n3wb
Reaction score
code W44CKUSN worked as of about a week ago. Just got in 2 28mm, and 3 36mm models to get me started on a system. both models $45 each with the code.

now to find some good deals on a desktop to run BI, a 16 port PoE+ switch, and a nice Asus router. then probably amazon me some 15ft cables(these cams are going to cover my front door/porch area from multiple angles) since im too lazy to crimp my own these days.

Thanks for the informative guidance and coupon code y'all. : )

2ndLeaf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Test the IP5M-T1179E from Amazon. Its night vision is better than the IPC-HDW4631C-A, but not as good as N22AL12. I wish Dahua has a turret version of N22AL12.

Tsu Ko

n3wb
Reaction score
I purchased the bullet version of IP5M-T1179E, the IP5M-B1186EW. All the specs appear to be the same but I'm unable to install the dahua DH_IPC-HX25(8)XX-Molec_MultiLang_NP_V2.800.0000000.19.R.200628.bin

Does anyone know the correct dahua firmware to install on the Amcrest IP5M-B1186EW?

Did some searching. Looks like the IP5m-B1186EW is equivalent to the DH-IPC-HFW2531S-S-S2

Last edited:

techhi

n3wb
Reaction score
THANKS FOR THE CODE W44CKUSN yes dropped the camera to $45
I bought 2 of these to replace older Dahua Cameras.
I wanted better views at Night and looks like the Starlight sensor will be a better fit

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
FWIW, I registered on the Amcrest site today and their introduction email had a 10% off promo code (AMCRNEWS). But Amazon didn't accept it. The promo failure turned out to be to my advantage.

That's because the $15 promo code W44CKUSN (posted earlier in this discussion) still works today [Dec-18-2020]. So I purchased three more IP5M-T1179E-36MM for only $45 each (normally $60) on Amazon. That's a generous discount!

I plan on trying the Dahua firmware upgrade. I have a Dahua NVR and from the comments I understand upgrading the firmware will enable basic IVS functions (tripwire, Intrusion). I'm hoping someone here can confirm that Amcrest->Dahua upgraded cam's IVS works correctly when using a Dahua NVR. In case it matters, I have a NVR2116-I Wizsense.

BTW, one of my Amcrest cameras required wall mounting under the roof overhang in a tight inside corner. When my house was built I had a mud ring installed in the stucco for this camera. There's plenty of room inside the wall for hiding the RJ45 wiring.

Instead of a commercial wall mount I CAD designed an adapter and 3D printed it in ABS plastic. A couple coats of paint were applied to match the white camera (also for ABS UV protection). The adapter is attached to a blank single gang wall plate (drilled out for RJ45 pass-thru). There's room inside the adapter to store a short service loop of camera cable to allow restraint-free camera eyeball movement. Final result earned WAF approval.

Amcrest_Backdoor_1000.jpg

- Thomas

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Grabbed two of the Amcrests. Thanks for the tips availability and discount code. Flashed to Dahua firmware..... and definitely a lot better optics and sensor than a cheap, old, 6MP Chinese version, hacked English language, Dahua turret. Also, great to have video viewing without plugins.

Most of my cameras are from Andy, but I have a couple of low priority locations that didn't merit the cost of a good camera from Andy. These let me upgrade those spots at low cost.

ThomasCamFan, any chance of getting your STL file or CAD file?

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
ThomasCamFan, any chance of getting your STL file or CAD file?
The attached zip file has the three STL files for the Amcrest turret mounting bracket.

Amcrest_Turret_Bracket_600.jpg

Choose a filament that will tolerate the outdoor installation. I used primed/painted ABS, but will likely try PETG on the next one.

So far I've installed six of the IP5M-T1179EW turrets. At $45 each (current Amazon price with discount code W44CKUSN ) this is a nice budget cam. Too bad it doesn't support smart IR.

- Thomas

Attachments

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Many thanks for the STL's. I print PETG and polycarbonate here. Should be able to get something to work.
That's an elegant looking mounting solution you designed.