building your own versus package deal

joe Dew

n3wb
Reaction score

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
As an introductory learning experience about what security camera systems can and cannot do I evaluated two different systems from Sam's Club that were on sale. The first one was a LaView system and the second one a Lorex system. Both systems came with 6 to 8 cameras and an NVR. The LaView system had both dome and bullet cameras while the Lorex system was exclusively bullet cameras. The Lorex system had better cameras. Dome cameras are best used indoors and not outdoors because of reflections off the plastic dome at night from either the IR light or glare from headlights, etc. Bullet cameras are perfect for birds to make a nest on top of them. Go with turret cameras also known as eyeball cameras. What I learned is that these packaged systems record just fine 24/7. If all you want to do is record then they'll do the job. However, if you want to create good triggering mechanisms then they are very limited and VERY disappointing. The worst thing about these systems are the inability to efficiently go through the footage when inevitably you want to find out "what happened". What's the point in a NVR system if it's a headache to try and find the footage you are looking for?

Based on my observations with both systems (90 day evaluation) plus feedback from members on this forum I quickly concluded it is best to put together your own system based on the parameters that are specific to your needs. Make your own NVR. It's nothing more than a Windows 10 computer running security camera software called Blue Iris. Purchase the specific cameras you need. Read the IPcamTalk cliff notes to get up to speed. HERE is what I went with for my system.