Buying new cameras....which ones?

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Motion activate floods lights, will blind a night camera as it tries to adjust to the light. Either have lights or do not have lights. Or use multiple IR "lights". I have 400 lumens down lights mounted in the center of the soffits about 5 ft apart . Also I have garden lights, Nothing is blazingly bright, just nice even light.
If the house is not built run Ethernet wires at all possible locations.

Trust me, Im going to wire the crap out of this house.

============================================
1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.

Dont know that I will need 3. I plan on a security gate prior to the front door so I have to take that into consideration. I havent researched it yet, but I do hope there is a POE doorbell camera out there.

That way I will have a package buffer too. I just have to figure out a way to get power to a keypad for unlocking that door. (I put a photo of the home model in the thread.

2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door.

Im putting a camera at every corner and should have 2 covering the garage entrance.

3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance

Yup. I have that now, plus a camera in the house pointing at that entrance.

4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.

Absolutely

5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.

Yes,.

6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den

I plan on this too.

7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.

Yes!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Paint it to match the mailbox and see if Karen notices it LOL.
+1^^
The Karens have a lot of time on their hands.
Then you need to keep the Karens out of the loop...OK, do it all behind her back, as follows:
  • First get the box the Karens specified NOW, modify it in the garage, test it, and set it aside.
  • On the first night, put on your ninja outfit and night vision googles (too much?) and creep out there about 2 AM and put in the direct burial-rated CAT-5e cable.
  • I suggest you have spouse, significant other or a friend that you owe a LOT of money to be your lookout from parted blinds in darkened room and text you if danger approaches.
  • Make sure your cell is charged and on silent ....forget about playing intro theme song from 60's "Mission Impossible"on earbuds as it may drown out the warning.
  • The next night, if the ninja theme didn't land you in jail or get you shot, then go for hooking it all up and tweaking it.
  • If you're still alive and/or made bail after the above, please let us know how it all worked out.
;) :highfive:

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
+1^^

Then you need to keep the Karens out of the loop...OK, do it all behind her back, as follows:
Its not just Karens... there are Kens too.
  • First get the box the Karens specified NOW, modify it in the garage, test it, and set it aside.
Im not that mechanically inclined. I messaged the person that made the one and asked if he would be willing to help me out on that.

• On the first night, put on your ninja outfit and night vision googles (too much?) and creep out there about 2 AM and put in the direct burial-rated CAT-5e cable.

I have carte blanche to add what I want to the build. I can get them to trench it while they are leveling the property. Im inclined to use conduit in addition to burial cat6
  • I suggest you have spouse, significant other or a friend that you owe a LOT of money to be your lookout from parted blinds in darkened room and text you if danger approaches.
I can save that $.

• Make sure your cell is charged and on silent ....forget about playing intro theme song from 60's "Mission Impossible"on earbuds as it may drown out the warning.

Im thinking more lilke Animal House when Belushi is sneaking into the Deans office....
  • The next night, if the ninja theme didn't land you in jail or get you shot, then go for hooking it all up and tweaking it.

No ninja outfit needed.
  • If you're still alive and/or made bail after the above, please let us know how it all worked out.

Yea, I will

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then yes have them run the wire with conduit and have it ready for the mailbox.

Get the person making the mailbox cut out some holes at the back of it to place cameras in.

Nobody will notice it LOL.

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Then yes have them run the wire with conduit and have it ready for the mailbox.

Get the person making the mailbox cut out some holes at the back of it to place cameras in.

Nobody will notice it LOL.
The approved support pole is hollow:}

Just gotta get someone handy enough to make the bottom tray.

Have any experience with a hikvision or dahua POE camera that works well as a LPR?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh well then have them put the camera in the support pole!

This is the camera for LPR if you mount it on the house:

This is the camera for LPR if it is on the mailbox:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have carte blanche to add what I want to the build. I can get them to trench it while they are leveling the property. Im inclined to use conduit in addition to burial cat6
Nice.. highly recommend running 2 conduits .. one for power, one for data ...

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

The thread I saw had what appeared to be bullet cameras. Would take up less space than these...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The Z12E is a bullet camera and you would need that zoom capability if it is on the house.

The other models I mentioned are turrets and would work on the mailbox but probably not have enough zoom if placed on the house.

Karen would notice the bullet camera on the mailbox LOL.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can save that $.
Just to clarify.....
The idea behind using a "...a friend that you owe a LOT of money to" was that they would likely WANT to want you to survive so you could repay that debt.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two cameras at the top of the garage door. Test it. Park your car in the drive. Walk up to the car at night wearing a hoodie and looking down. Smash the window. Can you Id the bad guy. Will the video stand up in court. If not your system is a fail.

Note my front access requires the person to open a gate and walk it. Test the setup. I have 3 outside camera and one inside camera. Plus three big dogs that have direct access to the front court yard.

I would recommend getting a variable focus high quality camera a 2x4 and a bucket of rocks and try testing camera location on a friend's house at night with motion.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since you are very serious about this, go ahead and buy the IPC-T5442T-ZE. It is a varifocal 2.7 - 12 mm motorized zoom. It is the first one on @sebastiantombs list, and also on @wittaj list. . The fixed versions are a little cheaper, and this covers the whole range, showing you exactly what you can see. You can make a stand and try it in different locations, use it indoors, out, with BI or an NVR, or standalone for now. The camera can definitely be used in your final setup. Nothing beats hand on experience for research!

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Is the mailbox one BI compatible?

SpacecoastBill

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, every camera I mentioned works with BI.

Thanks. I have a friend who works in aerospace as a machinist that will build the box for me.

Im going to try to make it not as obvious as I can. The dome cameras seem to be a bit tall in there, are there any good as an LPR with a smaller profile?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is about as small as they get. While they make cameras that are smaller, they are not capable of setting parameters and the camera adhere to them. LPR is more an art than a science and we need control over the parameters and not have the camera decide "oh 1/2,000 shutter is too fast at night so let's override the user setting and slow the shutter". Plus you need a focal length large enough to be able to set an optical zoom to have mainly just the vehicle in the frame. The smaller cameras will be a 2.8mm or 2mm wide angle lens and as such the plate would be too small to read.