Cable Length (Again Sorry)

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a fairly new installation that has been running rock solid. I recently replaced the camera on the pole to my gate which is LONG LONG run (turns out its over 382 feet). I ran two Cat 6 Riser Cable by honeywell and ended them myself. I tested both and they are perfect on my fluke wiring tester (basic tester). On the pole I have a Sunba 405-20Dx camera that works perfectly. This camera is PTZ and works perfectly! The other line doesn't work but tests fine. The one Hikvision camera I see turns on and has IR lights come on for a second. On the switch it lights up with POE power - then a second later it blinks like its connecting and everything goes off. I tried two HIkvision cameras and one Speco camera none of which worked. SO I cut the cable - put a switch where I could about 100 feet closer to the end so now its closer to 282 feet or so but still doesn't work. Kinda at a loss. I know the one question and I Don't want to try it or mess with it but swap the Sunba with a hikvision to see if that works.... I haven't tried that as its not fun to get that camera down off the pole and I don't want to screw anything up! Any suggestions are appreciated!

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I pulled out another Sunba and placed it on the second line and it works flawlessly. I don't know why it works with the Sunba's but not the hikvision or the speco cameras. I have to believe that the sunba which is PTZ would use MORE power than either of the other two cameras? Any ideas?

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
330' is your normal limit. For testing purposes we got a 500' cable to work between 2 devices, but it would only run 10 baseT. It was a POE device (non cam) and it worked fine otherwise. I wouldn't suggest trying this however. Since you are under that limit there is no reason why it should not be working unless you have a flaw in your cable that the 1 camera doesn't care about. For example maybe it's running 10 baseT due to a bad connector and the other cams wont run 10 base t. The cheap testers only tell you if there is path, but it won't tell if that path is deteriorated or not. Anyways, its hard to say for sure but I would suspect the cable.
I am starting to agree. I was afraid it was the power capability. That is why I moved a second switch closer but it didn't help and I really don't want to maintain another switch there. I really hate replacing this cable but I just might have to. I wonder if I should buy a better tester but it would be cheaper to run a new wire I think.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used A- I have always been an A guy. Does that really matter? Isn't it straight through?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I used A- I have always been an A guy. Does that really matter? Isn't it straight through?
Hi Heffneil,

Perhaps a kink in the cable caused an issue on a wire? .. before pulling a new wire you can try the B termination on both ends and see if swapping some of the wire locations on the connection makes a difference.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed to B when I was asked thinking it would make a difference. It didn't but my tester had some issues so I re-ended one side twice just for good measure. Still not fix. This is pissin me off. Should be easier than this :(

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I changed to B when I was asked thinking it would make a difference. It didn't but my tester had some issues so I re-ended one side twice just for good measure. Still not fix. This is pissin me off. Should be easier than this :(
Hi Heffneil,

Is there AC power in the conduit also?

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No this is clear. There are two handholes but they are far away. This is very frustrating. Replacing the wire isn't easy :(

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No this is clear. There are two handholes but they are far away. This is very frustrating. Replacing the wire isn't easy :(
You mentioned another sunba unit works on this cable.

Perhaps the particular sunba unit at the end of this cable is the issue? perhaps swap out the camera.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried two other hikvision cameras and a second sunba on the same line. The sunba works other three ( the original and other 2 hikvisions) work. I tried like hell but still not working and totally frustrated :(

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You sure that the cams that don't work on that line actually work elsewhere on the same switch?

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I mean I bench tested all these switches on my desk and the switch there is the same as this one just a different wire length?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Wire length is fine up to 100m and probably good a fair bit beyond but no guarantees after 100m. It's kinda like milk or meat- best before, not instantly bad the day after the date on the package. Good for how long/far after? No guarantees.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well the cable never worked for one camera and fine for another. Can't figure it out at all. I did order a POE injector thinking maybe something else would help? Not idea. I guess I could put it at the end of the line but really can't other than testing. Still frustrated..... Just need to pull a new wire. Maybe I will look for 22AWG wire.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and pull two wires. It never hurts to pull an extra on a long run.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ha I had a 1" pipe with 2 coax and 4 cat 5 (this is about 8 years old). We could not with equipment get those wires out. I didn't want to splice them. I usually put a ton of extra - but this has been absolutely brutal!

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Also, just to reassure yourself, precut it longer than necessary, terminate, and pretest it. Then cut one end off and pull it after you know it works. Better safe than sorry if you're experiencing inexplicable or esoteric problems in a hard to work on location.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah thats exactly what I am going to do when I get the box. I am going to pull 400 feet, end it, test it and then pull it through.