Cable Length (Again Sorry)

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The other camera is dead this morning :(

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I swapped cameras and I got both working but the sunba doesn't move PTZ. I can focus it - but don't know why the motor won't turn despite the self test when powered on. I might try pulling the plug - The other wire works just fine (the original sunba line now on the hikvision).

I tried testing with my ideal linkmaster on the bad cable and it shows miswire and reversal. I just want to say there is no way in the world. I've replaced this end at least 4 times on both sides, this is camera 41 in my property so I can make cables :) Im thinking there is a short in the wire. If you saw the jacketing on the one that works you would be shocked its been so shredded :(

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Heffneil.

Sounds like power... not getting enough power to the motors. Either not getting enough from the switch, or voltage drops just too much over the long line.

So I swapped cameras and I got both working but the sunba doesn't move PTZ. I can focus it - but don't know why the motor won't turn despite the self test when powered on. I might try pulling the plug - The other wire works just fine (the original sunba line now on the hikvision).

I tried testing with my ideal linkmaster on the bad cable and it shows miswire and reversal. I just want to say there is no way in the world. I've replaced this end at least 4 times on both sides, this is camera 41 in my property so I can make cables :) Im thinking there is a short in the wire. If you saw the jacketing on the one that works you would be shocked its been so shredded :(

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Bad wire and reversal? Besides a fault/pinch/etc in the middle somewhere, I'd sit down with a picture of the wiring pattern (568A in your case), make sure the ends are the right way up, and recrimp according to the picture (don't trust your memory). Just in case. I had a brain fart once after not having done some for a while and ended up crimping both ends from memory exactly according to pattern but ended up with one end right side up and the other end upside down. Double and triple checked the wiring order, redid each end according to the way it already was, etc etc and then noticed one end was flipped. Ooops.

As far as A and B go, you'll get a lot of debates. Some say A is for phone guys (makes RJ45 and RJ11 phone installations compatible when plugging an RJ11 male into a 45 jack) and B is for IT, some say it doesn't matter but don't mix and match in the same installation (this makes sense). For camera guys though, it doesn't hurt to start with and only use B. I haven't had a chance to run into it personally (I'm a B guy and haven't used a balun in ages), but I've read that some baluns aren't supposed to work with A. Not quite sure why though to tell you the truth. I'm not a phone guy so I vote for B. :)

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I changed out the sunba with another and it works just right. Don't know why or how but it does. Anyway Im done with this portion of the project :)

Thanks for all the help!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I changed out the sunba with another and it works just right. Don't know why or how but it does. Anyway Im done with this portion of the project :)

Thanks for all the help!
Hi Heffneil,

Thanks for letting us know the end solution. Wow, what a PITA. I am guessing something about that camera required additional power.. wonder what it was.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't think the one cable is good but its is OK and works well enough for a sunba camera. The one camera went bad in the process some how. So the "good" cable took the Hikvision and the other took a new sunba and all things a-ok for right now.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I wanted to update here - I added a new camera with a short short run. Turns out I saw the same behavior. Totally pissed me off. I went and grabbed another switch and it turned on instantly and worked! I think the switch is messed up. Perhaps I reached the limits of the switch. Its an HP / Aruba 2530. I don't know but I just updated the firmware and the interface is all new and nice looking. Problem is I put the camera back on the aruba switch and it didn't work :(. I moved stuff over to the new switch which is better in that it is a 10/100/1000 where as the aruba is only 10/100. I am going to try the Trendnet I am using and see how it works but it isn't a great switch but is working better than this HP Aruba. Overall I would call it strange.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I wanted to update here - I added a new camera with a short short run. Turns out I saw the same behavior. Totally pissed me off. I went and grabbed another switch and it turned on instantly and worked! I think the switch is messed up. Perhaps I reached the limits of the switch. Its an HP / Aruba 2530. I don't know but I just updated the firmware and the interface is all new and nice looking. Problem is I put the camera back on the aruba switch and it didn't work :(. I moved stuff over to the new switch which is better in that it is a 10/100/1000 where as the aruba is only 10/100. I am going to try the Trendnet I am using and see how it works but it isn't a great switch but is working better than this HP Aruba. Overall I would call it strange.
Hi Heffneil,

Switches and ports do die, as well as sometimes needs a reboot due to various issues - and yest in theory they should not need a reboot - yet I've seen this often.. reboot the switch and retest.

Also, do double check the setting on the Aruba - iirc it is a managed switch so it should have also some log info.

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this was an older thread that I started but I wanted to update everyone just in case they have a problem. I am a home user but I make a good number of cables around here and have made cables for a long long time (I was a founder and CTO of an internet based business). I was banging my head against the desk trying to figure out what was going on. Cables would test perfect yet didn't work properly. Turns out my cable crimper went bad. It was a platinum ez crimper. I ordered a new one (which is a new style actually) and it works flawlessly. Every cable works perfectly!

I don't know how I wore the old one out seeing it didn't get commercial usage but something was / is awry with that crimper. Its about 6 years old and I would have tossed it but I need it for my rj11 crimps I make once in a while. Im so afraid of the thing I might seek a new rj11 crimper so nor I or anyone else picks up this old tool and uses it with RJ45.

So moral of the story is if you are making cables properly and they test but don't work properly dump the crimper and get a new one. The new platinum have replaceable inserts so this must be a thing? Good Luck!

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Did you try the hikvision straight from the router

heffneil

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah everything works perfect now with the new crimper. Just had to toss that old one in the trash. Even tested ok but it was bad bad ends somehow! Very strange