Cam for drive way monitoring

Araphen

n3wb
Reaction score
You can shut off the IR and go 24/7 color. Night may take different setting, which is true of any camera that maintains color 24/7. There is no way to know for certain IF it will work in your situation or if a 5442 series would work either. I have one mounted where it gets help from a street light that's about 150 feet away, behind the camera. I can maintain color at night but only if I keep the shutter speed at 1/60 which does tend to blur fast motion a bit.
Wow that is a very distant light source. I have a street light in my front yard about 40 feet in front of the place I'd put the camera so my situation isn't as bad as that. I'm getting the feeling that I'm just going to have to buy and try cameras until i find one I like. I was hoping for answers like "At that price point, X is the best camera for that use" but I'm guessing it's more complicated than that.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is kind of complicated. What makes it worse, in your case it seems, is that if it doesn't work you're out the money involved. Keep in mind, too, that a standard SD card will fail rather quickly in a security camera. The better, more expensive, SD cards will handle that for at least a year or longer without failing.

Araphen

n3wb
Reaction score
Unfortunately it is kind of complicated. What makes it worse, in your case it seems, is that if it doesn't work you're out the money involved. Keep in mind, too, that a standard SD card will fail rather quickly in a security camera. The better, more expensive, SD cards will handle that for at least a year or longer without failing.
I already bought a panasonic window cam from amazon and I plan on returning it for a full refund. I also bought a sandisk 256GB max endurance microSD card which is currently in the panasonic window camera and i plan on using that in the next camera i decide on. But it was like 70 bucks so my budget for a camera and PoE injector is down to around $130-ish.

Reaction score
You over bought on the sdcard, but that is in the past. I can't help you on a recommendation for a lower quality cam (than I would use) since I have no true experience with one. I believe in fit-for-purpose cam selection, of course within my budget. I have purchased 21 quality Dahua cams from Andy for as low as $79 and as high as $235 with the average price being about $155. Each cam was chosen for it's ability to fulfil the requirements that I defined for the specific position.

On the question of screens. No I have not gotten a view through a screen that I would be happy with. The one that I showed above was an example, I have two others on windows with screens and just mounted them in the area above the screen. I have not painted the board white yet on the one below. But it is backed by black fabric just the same as the other mount. I use shelf mounts to hold up the board, those little clear plastic ones you find in bookcases.

DSC_5092.JPG wow did not realize how much the shutters need paint!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually, depending on the camera you can use a 12 volt, 1 or 2 amp, wall wart. They're less expensive than a PoE injector. 20ft should be no problem and I'll bet you have an outlet right near the window anyway.

Araphen

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually, depending on the camera you can use a 12 volt, 1 or 2 amp, wall wart. They're less expensive than a PoE injector. 20ft should be no problem and I'll bet you have an outlet right near the window anyway.
I have an outlet right next to it but i wanted to plug it into a UPS which is probably about 15ft away

Araphen

n3wb
Reaction score
The closest things I have would be daisy chaining 5 power strips or using my thicc 50ft extension cord though. I don't know why but I just don't have extension cords

Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.
Reaction score
The closest things I have would be daisy chaining 5 power strips or using my thicc 50ft extension cord though. I don't know why but I just don't have extension cords
If you are on a super tight budget, go to a local thrift or goodwill. I regularly buy network cables for pennies, extension cords for a couple dollars and wall warts of various voltages for a couple dollars for projects. Then you can spend more money on a nicer camera which is the important part.

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sorry to bring up an ancient thread, but just saw the Panasonic HomeHawk when searching for an aquarium cam. Are those things ONVIF and do they work without using their cloud app? IE, can I stream them to BI or an NVR 24/7 without the app?