Camera appears to cause loss of internet connection

fctpvp

n3wb
Reaction score
I recently bought a Dahua N41BD12-W and when I have it on my cable internet connection will disconnect randomly at least once a day. My modem and Router lights show an internet connection but there is none on my LAN. I have to turn off and back on my DOCIS Modem to restablish an internet connection to my LAN.

I turned off the camera for a couple days and my internet connection remained stable. Powered back on the camera and the connection began dropping again.

A side note is I went on vacation for a week and every time I used the iphone app to check the camera I got a live picture. After I returned home the internet connection began disconnecting again.

I've been going a little crazy trying to figure it out. I've had no luck with internet searches.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may be hacked
What software are you using to look at the camera ?
How are you connecting to the camera, P2P , or opening a port ?
Have you looked at the modem log .

Read the Wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page.

fctpvp

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm using the iDMSS Plus app from Dahua on my iPhone. I know when I was installing the cameras and NVR the Dahua TCP interface asked for something to be installed which Windows warned might compromise security. I think it uses P2P.

I have not reviewed the modem log but will look for it tonight.

Thanks.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never use p2p or uPNP. After you figure out what is going, set up a VPN. If you have a good router block the cameras from the internet.

If possible provided a network diagram.

If the camera is on local network and is being accssed from the Internet you have a problem.

Are you using an NVR to record the video? What are you using to record the camera?

Last edited:

fctpvp

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmmm. I wonder how I undo what I've already done? Will have to work on that this weekend.

I now have 3 cameras all connected through WiFi to my LAN. My house is not at all friendly for routing wiring to the outdoor camera locations. The NVR is connected directly to my LAN. Of course the cameras have SDXC cards in them and the NVR is the Dahua N42B1P

The problem I'm having started when I had only one camera and no NVR. After connecting it to one of my AP's wirelessly is when I started having problems. I pulled the power from the camera and no more loss of internet connection. Plugged the power back in and problem back.

The weird thing is I was gone for 4 days on vacation and it appears the internet connection never stopped working as every time I checked the NVR with my phone the live feed was working. It was still active when I arrived home but didn't stay so for long.

I'm wondering how I set the camera to not access the internet directly? I did set them all to not check the internet for updates. I've set a fixed IP for the cameras. I'll have to look into how to block them in my SBR-AC1750 Surfboard router.

Thanks for your help

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You may be overloading your wifi. It is strongly recommended that you use poe wire connections for cameras. If you can hire a low voltage electrician to install the cable.

If you must use wifi , use an access point not you main router, set the access point with a different channel and different name. Connect the access point to a switch, connect the NVR to the switch, connect your primary router to the switch. Make sure your cameas have static IP.

Cameras use 2.4 GHz wifi this is a very crowded.

Who is your internet provider ? What is the make and model number of your internet modem/router ?

fctpvp

n3wb
Reaction score
I actually was thinking about doing what you have suggested for a WiFi setup. Dedicated 2.4GHz AP. My first problem is the previous owner wired the house with CAT5 runs but didn't label where they go. I have a location that would be good to locate an AP with the NVR closer to the cameras but need to trace the cabling to it which could involve multiple runs.

My internet provider is Cox Cable and my Modem is a Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem. My router is listed in my previous post.

Thanks again for your help.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Since you have set them to static IP's you might take a look at your client list in the router and make sure there are no conflicts. Make sure everything that connects is turned on.

Clint3200

n3wb
Reaction score
It took me a long time to figure out the my WiFi cameras were killing my internet speed. Once I figured that out and decided to go POE cat5e that is what led me to this forum.
Wired cameras on a separate subLAN solved my speed and security issues.

Follow the WiKi for success !

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually was thinking about doing what you have suggested for a WiFi setup. Dedicated 2.4GHz AP. My first problem is the previous owner wired the house with CAT5 runs but didn't label where they go. I have a location that would be good to locate an AP with the NVR closer to the cameras but need to trace the cabling to it which could involve multiple runs.

My internet provider is Cox Cable and my Modem is a Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem. My router is listed in my previous post.

Thanks again for your help.
A toner test tool is your friend.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..My first problem is the previous owner wired the house with CAT5 runs but didn't label where they go....
Hi @fctpvp

If all the cat5e runs go to a central location, just patch them all into a switch and plug in a laptop into the port in question and look for the connected light on the switch.
( hoping someone did not cut the cables.. man I hate when they do that!!! )