Camera connection

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
6 minutes ago
I installed 11 POE dome cameras with a hikvision NVR and for some reason 1 of the 11 doesnt work. There is no activity light on ethernet port i redid both at each end It worked for a couple days then stopped again. Now that one port on the NVR has a very slow activity flash compared to the other 10 not sure what that means in the settings everything shows connected.F21028C7-37E7-4407-83AD-ED395A726709.jpeg
View attachment IMG_6921.MOV
1A565A8A-389E-4E92-B95A-43F368BC1F8A.jpeg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Those crimps look poor. Did you use the 568B standard?

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Spend $20 on a cable tester and check continuity of the cable.

Pull the camera down and bench test it with 12 volts to eliminate a failed POE module.

How is your power budget? Do you have enough power to power all of the cameras?

What about your bandwidth budget? Are the bytes from you cameras overwhelming the NVR?

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
it is standard connection and i have a continuity tester it passed. Im nor sure what you mean by power and bandwidth budget

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looking at the image you furnished in your first post, I must ask: Is that NVR located in a basement or crawl space with a dirt floor?
If so, the combination of dust and excessive humidity over time will likely cause corrosion issues on the RJ45 male connectors on the cable AND the female jacks of the NVR.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
m nor sure what you mean by power and bandwidth budget
You are good for power. You have 200w and are using circa 50.

Bandwidth is the amount of data that the NVR can process. For example

NVR4108/4116HS-8P-4KS2
8/16 Channel Compact 1U 8PoE 4K&H.265 Lite Network Video Recorder

Smart H.265+/H.265/Smart H.264+/H.264
Max 80Mbps Incoming Bandwidth
Up to 8MP Resolution for Preview and Playback
Up to 2ch@4K/8ch@1080P decoding
HDMI/VGA simultaneous video output
Support IPC UPnP, 8PoE ports

VS

NVR4216/4232-16P-4KS2
16/32 Channel 1U 16PoE 4K&H.265 Lite Network Video Recorder

Smart H.265+/H.265/Smart H.264+/H.264
> Max 200Mbps Incoming Bandwidth
Up to 8MP Resolution for Preview and Playback
Up to 2ch@4K/8ch@1080P decoding
HDMI/VGA simultaneous video output
Support IPC UPnP, 16PoE ports

If your cameras are trying to send the NVR more than that amount of data there will be issues. What is the model number of your NVR.?

it is standard connection
There are two standards

1606018572444.png

B is preferable but it doesn't really matter which one you use, as long as both ends use the same standard.

i have a continuity tester it passed.
That's a good start. Will another camera work if it is plugged into the same port? The camera is drawing power, it just isn't talking to the NVR. Have you tried a hard reset of the camera?

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am not near the system right now for a serial verification but no i i switch ports it still wont work. Blinks slowly but based off the first picture all 11 cameras show connected and pullin betwen 4-6 watts does that rule out most factors ?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not near the system right now for a serial verification but no i i switch ports it still wont work. Blinks slowly but based off the first picture all 11 cameras show connected and pullin betwen 4-6 watts does that rule out most factors ?
You still have not clarified that you used the 568 standard. If you have not, this is causing your issue. You cannot simply match the ends.

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry Im using the 568b standard i used my cat 5 tester an it shows good .. aslo question if i cupp my hand over the lenses and the IR illuminates does that rule out a bad camera?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That proves the IR works and the camera is receiving PoE power. It does not show that any data is getting out of it. Pull the camera down and connect it with a known good, commercially made, cable and see if it works then. When you do that, give it five minutes to power on and fully boot itself. I suspect it will work.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You don't have the cables twists pulled far enough into the plug you crimped on. The outer sheathing of the cable should be inside the rj45, prior to crimping.
They should look like this:
1606068478782.png

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't have the cables twists pulled far enough into the plug you crimped on. The outer sheathing of the cable should be inside the rj45, prior to crimping.
They should look like this:
View attachment 75482
Ok so whats a rule of thumb when stripping and cutting cat5 so thats its doesnt stick out excess.. Ex. should i measure it to a finger nails lenght for a exact flush connection?

Qualitech

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for this i recently bought a bag of rj-45 connectors and i realized after crimping them some of the connectors dont “click” into place when plugging them in then i have to redo its sorta hit or miss whether it will come out correct is the bag of connectors faulty or is my tool bad?

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You could also consider pass-through connectors; they make life extremely easy. I used them for my house, crimped close to a hundred and not one problem.

Here's a YouTube clip, I just picked the first I found but you get the idea.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for this i recently bought a bag of rj-45 connectors and i realized after crimping them some of the connectors dont “click” into place when plugging them in then i have to redo its sorta hit or miss whether it will come out correct is the bag of connectors faulty or is my tool bad?
Hi Qualitech,

I've not experienced faulty RJ45 plugs out of the bag yet...

Definitely redo the termination on these cables... and double check the T568A/B specs you are using. Easy enough to make a mistake on this the first time you do this.

Attachments