Camera Faceoff: Dahua Starlight IPC-T5442TM-AS vs Hikvision ColorVu DS-2CD2347G1-LU

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My external IR is on a dusk/dawn timer. I did disable the IR in the camera. The thing I still don't quite see an answer to is if there is a camera that can produce a usable image with no light.

Hourglass

n3wb
Reaction score
My external IR is on a dusk/dawn timer. I did disable the IR in the camera. The thing I still don't quite see an answer to is if there is a camera that can produce a usable image with no light.
Cameras can only capture light, they can't produce light, so if there isn't even moonlight, I would imagine no cameras can do that.

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Cameras can only capture light, they can't produce light, so if there isn't even moonlight, I would imagine no cameras can do that.
Will be interested to hear more replies. You don't sound like you are sure. I really hate the aesthetics of that IR lamp in my back yard.

Hourglass

n3wb
Reaction score
Debatable when most have in-built IR and visible LEDs for illumination.
He specifically said capture image with no light, so I read that as no IR, no LED from camera, no streetlight etc. Moonlight seems to be sufficient for the colorvu cameras but I doubt it would say anything if it's completely dark.

And if using the built in IR/LED, most of the cameras won't have problem

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He specifically said capture image with no light, so I read that as no IR, no LED from camera, no streetlight etc. Moonlight seems to be sufficient for the colorvu cameras but I doubt it would say anything if it's completely dark.

And if using the built in IR/LED, most of the cameras won't have problem
Moonlight, you mean Sunlight reflected on the Moon :cool: :lol:

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, you guys got me reading this post/debate :)

1593812048194.png

dd_d

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Oh no! I don't think I have enough beta particles in my backyard. I think I am stuck with the damn IR lamp.

Last edited:

Warptrooper

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again but curious if anyone has done more testing between these 2 ?

I have a 5442 and 2431 both 3.6mm.

Looking to get 2 more cams. Either 2 more 2431 but MAYBE get another 5442 but I could also go 2347.

I am VERY curious if the bigger lens/aperture on the 2347 means it performs better in low light color (with onboard LED off) compared to a 5442.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again but curious if anyone has done more testing between these 2 ?

I have a 5442 and 2431 both 3.6mm.

Looking to get 2 more cams. Either 2 more 2431 but MAYBE get another 5442 but I could also go 2347.

I am VERY curious if the bigger lens/aperture on the 2347 means it performs better in low light color (with onboard LED off) compared to a 5442.
So did PBC every sort out the setting issues to finish comparing? I am trying to decide if I want to try out a IPC-T2347G, don't need the LED version, but I already have a 5442. Ill probably stick with the 5442 for the back yard but curios to see if the hik will work out better in the fix lens location our front.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd buy another Hik. Ended up with 2 of the Hiks and 6 of the 5442s which I find are more versatile. Especially where you just don't have enough light.

RevJoe

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd buy another Hik. Ended up with 2 of the Hiks and 6 of the 5442s which I find are more versatile. Especially where you just don't have enough light.
Thanks for the input PBC..

SuperMiguel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So to help me get this straight, the 5442 has the best IR for night and the ColorVu seems to be the winner on night color correct? So unless you have flood lights or good lighting it is best to stay with the 5442 correct?

In our backyard we have no lights, we are too close to our neighbors for extensive lighting, only 30 feet to our fence :), our lights would shine into our neighbors windows from our 8 foot eve over a 6 foot fence, so for us the 5442 makes more sense.
Im in the same boat, my driveway only has 2 small lights, and my backyard has no lights at night since im very close to neighbors, so which one do you guys recommend?

How about for indoors which one out of the 2 you guys recommend? (at night all the lights will be 100% off lol)
Im i

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have very little light to no light the choice is easy.. The Dahua.

Where you have a couple small lights the Hik will do fine. It was a bit better in low light but not to the point where personally I would pick it over just going with the Dahuas IR.

fixxxer0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are the 2mp versions (DS-2CD2327G1) of the ColorVu better in low light?

Looks like they still have a 1/1.8" sensor.

I'm really trying to find the best low light color under $500. I have a few 5442's and they are good in the front yard with street lights but not my darker side yard.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Honestly, after having the ColorVu for a few months now, I am not sure I'd recommend the camera for any lighting conditions. Just looking at feed this morn, and have my driveway and porch Hiks set to 1/250, any lower than that (e.g., 1/500 exposure) and it becomes way too dark.

But even with a street light that is ~30 feet away, while I get some decent color, at 1/250 the trails/motion blur renders video border line useless unless the object is moving in slow motion. So I don't see the point outside of having much more light, or if you plan on using the LED spotlight on full time, which I do not.

Will likely replace them with the 5442 IR cameras at some point unless I can adjust the settings to make things better.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
But even with a street light that is ~30 feet away, while I get some decent color, at 1/250 the trails/motion blur renders video border line useless unless the object is moving in slow motion.
With that short exposure, it may not be motion blur but the artifact of excessive digital noise reduction, DNR.
Maybe try dropping DNR right down and see what that does for the effect.

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, was literally about to post the question in the dedicated thread. I have Space DNR at 0 and Time at 30. You're suggesting to drop it to nil?

pbc

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have it on expert settings vs normal (someone else posted to use expert at some point! )..