Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Exactly,

Star light, star bright,
First star I see tonight,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have this wish I wish tonight.

The benefit of starlight does not require IR...even in a lighted area it will provide an image with less noise and be able to see further out where light diminishes...

rotate that 90 degrees @Tygunn

Megapixels dont mean shit.. I say for the 100th time this month.
rotate that 90 degrees @Tygunn

Megapixels dont mean shit.. I say for the 100th time this month.

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@nayr
I need some pointed advice as i have limited time to do all the research to learn why i want to choose one option over the other.
(my wife thinks i am spending to much time on this build and insists i just bring in a pro)

I am offering to pay a consulting fee via paypal for 30 min of your time so you can consider what i am trying to accomplish and then you recommend the systems I will need in place to reach my goals.

I am Not looking for training or programming but rather direction in hardware, software and security that i can then go research and implement.

Hope you have time for me
Jason

@nayr just read your entire thread on 4231 vs 5231 and will go with the smaller 4231 for front and back door. thanks for being thorough.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
sorry I dont offer such services; and if I did you'd not want to pay it.. (think $100/hr - 8h minimum)

Click on my profile and you'll find a list of all my reviews and hardware; My advice is free only if it benefits the community as a whole and its all done in public

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
your Rate is reasonable and would be happy to take an hour of your time, but yeh i dont need 8 hours ;)

It is well worth it over the hours of research !!!

sorry I dont offer such services; and if I did you'd not want to pay it.. (think $100/hr - 8h minimum)

Click on my profile and you'll find a list of all my reviews and hardware; My advice is free only if it benefits the community as a whole and its all done in public

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr
I need some pointed advice as i have limited time to do all the research to learn why i want to choose one option over the other.
(my wife thinks i am spending to much time on this build and insists i just bring in a pro)

I am offering to pay a consulting fee via paypal for 30 min of your time so you can consider what i am trying to accomplish and then you recommend the systems I will need in place to reach my goals.

I am Not looking for training or programming but rather direction in hardware, software and security that i can then go research and implement.

Jason
Your money would be better spent on a NVR5216-4KS2, a handful of the 5231 turrets, a POE switch and the gDMSS app for your phone. Order from Andy thru the forum. I just summed up the first page of half of his reviews.

Your time would be better spent (past reading the first post of his reviews) setting all of that hardware up and just playing with it once you get it.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Nobody has time to meaningfully sift their way thru all of the unbelievable amount of fantastic advice on this forum. Luckily we have @nayr (and many others who buy, test and review hardware) who somehow finds the time to douse this forum with gobs of very valuable information. At least we're able to make a somewhat informed decision about the hardware we buy that not many people really understand or have time to learn verses just buying some random camera from Amazon.

Obviously @nayr is biased towards Dahua, but there are other options. There's probably many other good cameras and systems out there that he hasn't touched. Blue iris being one of them. Luckily most of the important stuff has been beaten to death so it's pretty easy to find info on. Either save the time by going with what's been proven or spend the time learning about all the options. (this isn't quite directed 100% at the OP... More of like a PSA at this point lol)

Last edited:

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
wow... you are condescending @DavidDavid
I already purchased a blue iris dedicated server, Poe switch, router with DDNS and VPN built in.
I also ordered on aliexpress some 5231's, some 4231's and a couple PTZ's (Andy was backed up so I had to order from another vendor)
Now i just need better understanding on how to setup my home network and have the mobile app connected while maintaining a respectable level of security.

I already have a 32 camera Hikvision system in my 22,000 square foot Manufacturing facility that i spent over $15k installed.
I have another 6 camera hikvision in a 6,000 Square foot facility.
I am no newbie to security cams and have had them since my chain of dry cleaners opened back in 2001

I want to try Blue Iris in my home as I never liked my hikvision mobile app.
Everybody said i should leave it to the pro's, but thank god at this point in my life, I have the time to teach myself a few new tricks.

$100 for some basic guidance is chump change.

I understand and respect @nayr and how he wants to remain unbiased in this forum.

I will continue to research in this forum and Learn as much as I can.
Youtube has been very helpful
Nayr would have saved me about 10 hours of research just by telling me where to invest my time in research.

Your money would be better spent on a NVR5216-4KS2, a handful of the 5231 turrets, a POE switch and the gDMSS app for your phone. Order from Andy thru the forum. I just summed up the first page of half of his reviews.

Your time would be better spent (past reading the first post of his reviews) setting all of that hardware up and just playing with it once you get it.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Obviously @nayr is biased towards Dahua, but there are other options. There's probably many other good cameras and systems out there that he hasn't touched. Blue iris being one of them. Luckily most of the important stuff has been beaten to death so it's pretty easy to find info on. Either save the time by going with what's been proven or spend the time learning about all the options. (this isn't quite directed 100% at the OP... More of like a PSA at this point lol)
Actually Ive touched several very large BlueIris systems; and Hikvision systems, and Axis and many others.. I do a bit of moonlighting for local industry, largely consulting and design anymore; however both me and my wife did work in video surveillance for a number years, doing the grunt work... I'm talking huge, big money setups; I just turned down a gig to setup a half dozen BI servers for a several hundred camera environment with compliance obligations, they tried to bring me in too late and had already spent a bunch of money buying the wrong hardware and the previous guy they wanted me to replace had just fucked too much of it up.. money was great, but the equipment I had to work with was shit.

Yes, I'm biased towards Dahua, I dont deny that for a moment; but I have my reasons.. Ive worked with the some of highest end and most expensive cameras money can buy; and the cheapest fucking junk you can get your hands on.. and alot of the stuff inbetween... Residential and DIY that our community is almost entirely composed of is a very neglected segment, When you dont want to spend a minimum of 5 figures you wont get anyone who knows what they are doing's attention.. the companies serving residential video surveillance markets are clowns and consumers are cheap asses who want the world in exchange for some beans..

My career now has little to do with video surveillance, I make my money Consulting w/Developers on integrating Collaboration Software now days (think IM/Chat/Video/Voice/Telepresence/etc.).. I'm here because I want to break down the gates to the knowledge thats being sequestered by the big commercial installers, they dont share.. they hoard, and thats why the Residential DIY segment was/is in such a shit position.. I have no horse in this race, and I represent nobody but my self.. I'm not here to make money or sell products, I'm here to disseminate my experience and share my opinions.. take em or leave em, it is what it is.

When I joined these forums seemed like I was the only person whom had ever setup a VPN before and Hikvision is all anyone would talk about; now we have hundreds of members running VPNs and dozens of em are paying it forward and helping the next group do it right.. that makes me proud and keeps me around, one person can make a difference.. In a couple more years when my attitude towards VPN and network security becomes the standard operating procedure for this industry it'll be just one more thing to help my peace as I leave this world; knowing that all the people I have personally educated and influenced over my life has made a positive difference on technology and society that reaches well beyond my lil existence.. We all stand on the shoulders of giants, yet at some point we have to be willing to bear the burden and allow others to reach even higher.. its how we progress as a species.

Respectfully,
-Ryan

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's insulting and patronising on a forum where people freely share their knowledge, experience and assistance.
Be gone.
oh stop it. had nayr allowed PM I would have propositioned him in private.
Sorry if you feel $100 per hour is insulting to your ego.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I already have a 32 camera Hikvision system in my 22,000 square foot Manufacturing facility that i spent over $15k installed.
I have another 6 camera hikvision in a 6,000 Square foot facility.
I am no newbie to security cams and have had them since my chain of dry cleaners opened back in 2001
Impressive ...
LMAO!

had nayr allowed PM I would have propositioned him in private.
And I think we all know what response you would have received.
Sorry if you feel $100 per hour is insulting to your ego.
Well, it takes one to know one.

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's insulting and patronising on a forum where people freely share their knowledge, experience and assistance.
Be gone.
Is there a double standard here ???
You can order from eagle vision on aliexpress who has over 3000 reviews with a 98% rating and cheaper than andy.
Yet this forum is loyal to andy and his sales.

(full disclosure... I tried to order from andy but he said he was out of stock. I literally tried to get an order in for over a week)

kevkmartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can order from eagle vision on aliexpress who has over 3000 reviews with a 98% rating and cheaper than andy.

(full disclosure... I tried to order from andy but he said he was out of stock. I literally tried to get an order in for over a week)
I'd bet that DOESN'T include 2-3 day DHL shipping. Andy's prices do.

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd bet that DOESN'T include 2-3 day DHL shipping. Andy's prices do.
You are just proving my point regarding patronizing a business in this forum.

For me to solicit @nayr for consulting, (of which he is clearly qualified and offers for sale) is SOP.
For anyone to insinuate that there is some ethical issue here, I would have to say they are... well I really dont want to come to name calling here.

Love this forum and all those that entertain me here ;)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and this is the reason why I have PM's disabled, I think you missed the point of that quote.. leme give you another $800hr - no minimum

Before taking any additional income I've got to burn a vacation day (that im saving for paternity right now) and clock out, otherwise I'm salary and paid extra when oncall like I am now, thus always on the clock..

JasonS

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
and this is the reason why I have PM's disabled, I think you missed the point of that quote.. leme give you another $800hr - no minimum

Before taking any additional income I've got to burn a vacation day (that im saving for paternity right now) and clock out, otherwise I'm salary and paid extra when oncall like I am now, thus always on the clock..
i got you 100% and I am confident that I did not insult you with my request.

was triggered by the Scottish dude who told me to "be gone"

Congrats again on the baby and im sure you will be missed here, while you are sleepless in denver.
(My parents sent me to highschool in denver, but got my ass expelled before spring break freshman year.... ahhh good times)

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@nayr

Jason
You've been around the forum enough to realize nayr is quite knowledgeable....enough so that you offered to pay him to tell you the exact same advice he's given everyone on this forum for free already. You mentioned you have limited time and were looking for assistance picking out hardware, software and security. Why you mentioned hardware and software when you have everything already is beyond me. If you had just said said security, I would have linked you to his Network Security Primer and his VPN Primer for Noobs threads.

I gave you two solid options for saving your time and money based on your initial request. Hardly condescending, more assuming than anything. Assuming you said what you meant and meant what you said.

And my second post was more of a long "Thank You" to him and everyone else and I even made a comment at the end that it wasn't directed entirely at you.

Good luck with your home set up.

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

Andy is involved in the forums, gives members discounts and just generally contributes to the community here. He's a solid guy and business owner that takes care of us.

THAT'S why we patronize him.